Author Topic: Another DNA Match headache, 141 cM  (Read 1523 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Another DNA Match headache, 141 cM
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 November 20 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I still dont know who my cousins great grandfather is but I do know its the same man who fathered another baby in southshields  who was adopted and taken to Usa
Match is 115 cm
So half second cousin match

I suspect my cousins great grandmothers own birth father went around the country fathering children one of whom.ended up in Texas where there is a cluster of matches at 40cm level no chances of shared surnames and the Americans dont seem to know where there family were pre 1900

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 November 20 01:05 GMT (UK) »
One of the problems with matching trees together is that everyone's trees have to be accurate. I can't even promise that mine is, only that it is meant to be. Sometimes I've looked at other trees and seen people fathering children before puberty or after death etc that makes it so hard to figure out what's true and what's not.

One of my most notorious matches was a 3rd cousin who kept matching with cousins on my WOOD line but her family didn't line up. We eventually realised there was a descendant of the common ancestors in her tree... married to her grandmother's sister...

guest189040

« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 November 20 09:33 GMT (UK) »
I would only ever use another persons Tree as a hint.

One of my xGGM’s is Mary Pearson and she was baptised in Birstall, Yorkshire.  Now anyone researching family from around the Bradford area knows that half of Yorkshire seems to have been Baptised in Birstall St Mary, hence it can be difficult narrowing down to a specific person.

Mary has either Nathan or Anthony as her farther, I cannot narrow it down but all the other trees have Anthony without anything to substantiate it.

So Mary is annotated in my tree with a note as to both possibilities as her Father.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 November 20 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Though the DNA can point to someone being a father of an illegitimate child I suppose there is always the possibility it could be another male in that line - brother, father, grandfather etc etc. as amount of inherited DNA can vary.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 November 20 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I've got that problem with one of my illegitimates- her middle name is Uglow, the surname of her uncle's wife, so we wondered if one of her aunt's brothers might have done the deed. Many DNA hits show that we are indeed related to that family, however I don't yet have any DNA hits with the supposed grandmother's side of the family. There was technically nothing stopping the 'grandfather' from sowing his oats after all... or maybe oddly nobody on the Kittow side has tested. I am waiting for more people to test in the hope it becomes more clear... all I can do really.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 November 20 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Im working on a case where it could be one of two brothers or an as yet  unknown half brother or even their father as there are close matches to older generations

It is possible to make informed deductions of the most likely of the siblings according to how close the DNA is to their children !

My problem is that two descendants are Smith's with same first name but closed trees and not been active on ancestry for a while .

If I knew that one of them was definitely gson of Smith A the 550cm match could be explained as half nephew

GgDaughter of SMITH B  is much smaller match 152cm.
I suspect half C1R

That known match does  have brother with same first name ..
(learnt .from past
correspondence..but no longer communicating )
So it's more likely that he is the 142 cm matches

ranges can be wide but I believe 142+ 152 is too low for the siblings to be half nephew and neice

Calculations and factoring in unknowns are indeed head scratchers
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

guest189040

« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 November 20 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Though the DNA can point to someone being a father of an illegitimate child I suppose there is always the possibility it could be another male in that line - brother, father, grandfather etc etc. as amount of inherited DNA can vary.

That is the theory.

BUT.

If they call themselves ... Me ABC ...  and have no tree, making sense of who they are is a tad more difficult.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 November 20 00:35 GMT (UK) »
... and there is always the worry that you might “accuse” the wrong man .....  ;D

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 November 20 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Brigid, have you tried looking up public trees with them in it and asking the owner of that tree if they are in contact? When I was first researching the aforementioned mysterious 3rd cousin I messaged someone who appeared to be a relation and she said "That's my mother, she's elderly and no longer on the Internet". We talked for a while about the connection.