Author Topic: William Maling c 1800 and son William Malling c 1820's  (Read 1236 times)

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Maling c 1800 and son William Malling c 1820's
« on: Wednesday 11 November 20 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I once again ask you to don your Deer stalker, pipe and magnifying glass to help me out.

I hold a marriage certificate dated 15.2.1852 showing a William Maling (of full age), marrying a Mary Ann Hill, (24 years old), in Hertford.  His father is also a William Maling, shoesmith.

I have entered on my tree, held on Ancestry.com,  William Maling Jnr passing away in 1857. Can I find the evidence for this date, no, (i have, after 5 years, started researching my family history).

What i do know is that on the 1861 census, Mary Ann Maling, nee Hill, (widow), is living with her parents along with her own daughter Ellen Day Maling born November 1857, (I have the birth certificate which does not show the  father's name, which i think is strange, but it is what it is.)

So, at present:

1) i cannot find any census entries for William Maling, Senior and Junior, consequently,
2) i do not have a year of birth for either,
3) I cannot find where i got 1857 as the year of death for William Maling junior, and finally
3) I can't find a marriage for William Maling senior.

so many questions, but can you good people provide any of the answers?

Thanks for reading this post.

Regards

Eric

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Maling c 1800 and son William Malling c 1820's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 19:34 GMT (UK) »
This William Maling may be a generation further back than the ones you are looking for -- but I'll report it just in case you don't have these details;

A William 'Malin' married Elizabeth Wright on 15th March 1806 at Little Hadham. Both bride and groom were from Hadham Parva.

In both 1841 and 1851 there is a William Maling, Shoe Maker in Little Hadham with wife Elizabeth and several children - but no child William.

In 1851 William aged 62 born Braughing? Hertfordshire. Elizabeth aged 52 born Little Hadham. Couple are living in Little Hadham.

I know this isn't what you want - but may prove useful (or not) - when we have overcome the hurdle you are currently looking at!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 22:02 GMT (UK) »
There's a William Maling death in Herfordshire in 1857 (Bishops Stortford district() However he's 73

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes Mabel I noticed that also - on the face of it he's even too old to be the William Maling on the 1851 census, Shoe Maker -- but I gather that, at the time Eric found that record it sounds like it was before we had the benefit of the GRO indexes -- so Eric wouldn't have an age at death of that William when he saw it.

I must confess I haven't looked further at this query since my original response. Maybe tomorrow!!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 November 20 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Odd but probably not very helpful ...

Banns read at Watton on Stone for
William MALIN, Bachelor,  and Mary Anne HILLS, Spinster Dates: 14, 21 & 28 Dec 1851

AND BANNS read again the following month. Recorded immediately after the last one/same page at Watton on Stone
William MALIN, Bachelor, of the Parish of All Saints Hertford and Mary Anne HILLS, spinster, of the Parish of Watton - Dates: 4, 11 & 18 Jan 1852

As Previously reported - they married in All Saints Hertford (William's abode) 14 Feb 1852 as MALINGS & HILL
 - They signed as MALINGS & HILL
Witnesses were: James Hill (X) possibly Mary Anne's father, and James Latter (he's a regular witness)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 November 20 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Again, something strange here ...

Is it possible that William Malin/s occupation on his marr cert should have been Jailor rather than Tailor? (Possibly mis-written by clergy)

Reason:
William Arthur Augustus Malin, son of William & Mary Ann (nee Hill) bp 20.08.1854 Bengeo
 - Father's occupation is "Gaol Officer" Mary Ann's name transcribed as Mary Jane on FindMyPast
 (copy of his birth cert is on Ancestry)
Mary Ann Malin bp 12.12.1852 Watton on Stone, dau of William & Mary Ann. Father's occupation seems to be "Turnkey"

Also found a William Malin/g on Census as a Jailor/Gaol  .. Turnkey or variations but I've lost these for a moment  :P

Shall check further when time permits

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 20 09:24 GMT (UK) »
2 different records for William in 1851  ???  But I should think it refers to same guy

1851 census - Ware Road, Hertford County Gaol
William Maling, age 41, "Officer",  Warden Born: Little Hadham UNMARRIED

1851 census - Ware Road, County Gaol
William Maling, age 41,  Warden, Born: Little Hadham, WIDOWER
----------

also
William Mayling born 19 Dec 1806, Bp 25 Jan 1807 son of William & Elizabeth Mayling
 at Independ. Little Hadham
----------------

It appears that William & Mary Ann's daughter, Ellen (born 1857) married George Guthrie at Roydon 1883.
On Marriage cert Ellen said her father was James Maling, a Physician!
I can understand the James name as she was raised by her grandfather James Hill so by combining her surname & James, it would=James Maling. But have no idea where the Physician comes from. Could be the wrong Ellen Maling  :-\

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 November 20 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your work people.

Lady Di, you have the right marriage for my Ellen Maling. James Hill (Maling?), per 1861 census was a market gardener, 1871 census Gardener labourer. He died 1880. Maybe 'physician' was for snobbery value?

I have seen the birth certificate of William Arthur Augustus Maling born 1854.

1) There is s GRO death entry for a William Maling in Hertford in 1855, so i guess that is why he is not on the 1861 census with James Hill head, Mary Maling, daughter and Ellen Maling grand-daughter.   
2) Yes i can see it could be Turnkey and links with the marriage certificate of 1852. occupation jailer.

Many thanks for your replies, but this amateur desperately needs your help to get to the bottom of this mystery, so I would really appreciate it if you could keep shovelling!! :)

Regards

Eric

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 November 20 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My apologies for the previous post.

The children of William Maling and Mary Hill are shown on the 1861 census living with James Hill. These are, Margaret 8, William (6) and Ellen (3).

So it may be that the GRO dated 1855 for William Maling is actually the father.

I am sure these 2 families in my tree has been sent down to be a never ending mystery. I was looking up Mary West's birth records. I thought well, according to her age at marriage, she was born around 1828 and all census records say she was from Watton, Hertfordshire, no problem. However there is a problem as i cannot find any record for her birth. However, if you go to FindMypast and look at the original parish records for a Mary Anne Webb, baptised at Watton. 11th May 1828, there is a note by the side, i assume made by the vicar of the parish in 1856, stating  "Webb ? Hill" so would you accept this if you were carrying on work on your own family tree?

Regards

Eric