Author Topic: Phillip and Margaret Thomas  (Read 276 times)

Offline joshuadwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Phillip and Margaret Thomas
« on: Wednesday 11 November 20 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

A bit of a long post. I am hoping to get some help finding out what happened to Phillip and Margaret Thomas (my 5 x great grandparents).

There is a likely marriage for Phillip on the 14th January 1806 to Margaret Griffith at Llanedi parish church in the presence of Thomas William and William Jones.

Their son Daniel was baptised on the 12th January 1809 and daughter Sarah baptised on the 10th November 1811 in Llanedi Tynewydd Chapel. I haven’t found reference to any other children.

The 1841 census (HO107/1379/39/10) shows Phillip and Margaret in the Hendy Bridge Tollgate in Llanedi (Carmarthenshire). Phillip and Margaret both are recorded as 60 years old (looks like a case of rounded down ages) with their son Daniel (30, carpenter) and John Thomas (6). Plenty of interesting information available online about this tollgate for those interested in the Rebecca Riots.

Their son Daniel married Mary Wright (née Beddow) at Llanelli parish church on the 12th April 1842. Daniel was living in Llanelli and his father Phillip is recorded as a joiner.

I have found a death certificate for a Phillip Thomas who died on the 28th November 1846 in Bolgoed Cottage in nearby Pontarddulais aged 66. This Phillip was a labourer and died from debility. His death was registered by John Williams of the Fountain inn who was present at the death.

Not definitive but likely. Further support comes from the 1851 census (HO107/1379/39/10) for a Margaret Thomas living in Bolgoed Cottage (widow, age 75, born Pembrey, Carmarthenshire).

If the correct Margaret, this would suggest a birth year of around 1776. I have not found an 1861 census entry, so I have narrowed my search between 1851 and 1861 for a possible death.

There was one possible death in the Swansea district – 1857 (Apr-Jun; 11a; 312; Age 83) but this showed a death in Oystermouth (Gower), wife of David Thomas, general labourer.
Another possible death was in Llanelly district – 1855 (Apr-Jun; 11a; 338; Age 80) but this showed a death in Kidwelli, wife of William, farmer. 

The son Daniel and his family lived in Llanelli in 1851 (HO107/2468/133/19) and in 1861 (RG9/4111/54/14). I do not know what happened to their daughter Sarah.

I have not found a burial for Phillip or a Margaret in the area yet.

Thanks for those who have read this far.

Could anyone possibly find the correct death or burial for Margaret or a burial for Phillip?

Thank you – Joshua