Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 11th November  (Read 930 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 11th November
« on: Wednesday 11 November 20 22:59 GMT (UK) »
First again!  :D

I was really tired last night but couldn't get to sleep. At 2.30 am I remembered that I hadn't looked for another Tesco slot, I had the next two booked in but they're filling up more quickly now so I wanted to book the following one. Booked a slot, added my whole order from last time, will sort later. In the end I managed to get only four hours' sleep. I wanted to make sure I put the garden waste bin out as my bin was full and there would only be one more collection after this one. Pulled both recycling bins through to the front, came back inside and got back in bed to warm up. Next thing I knew it was an hour later but I felt so much better for it.

Edit - I put the bins out after the four hours sleep, not at 2.30 a.m.!  ;D

My friend L called round to drop something off as she was in the area, had a chat on the doorstep. It was windy and so much colder than yesterday. Then the post arrived, my friend B had sent me a lovely card To a Special Friend, just to say she hoped I was doing okay. It was really lovely to get that, I sent her a message to thank her.

Went out for a walk, enjoyed walking through the woods so much that I looped back round and walked the reverse route. The autumn colours are lovely, many of the leaves have fallen now but they make lovely colourful patterns on the ground. Walked across the field and around the walkways on the way back.
  Had some lunch then did the work on my art class painting that I needed to do for this Friday's class. Tidied up in the kitchen and upstairs. The garden waste bin hadn't been emptied yet, I'd pulled the other one into the drive earlier on, went out to pull it through to the garden. I'd checked on the website that the collections would be until the end of November. At that I saw a small council truck turning round at the end of the cul de sac, it pulled up and a man came to empty my garden waste bin. It was the only one in the street. The man told me that this would be the last collection, he said 'Cos of Covid or summat'. His expression looked a bit disbelieving. I found out later that in the first lockdown many of the refuse crews were furloughed and the council saved loads of money so I'm guessing that's what has happened now. Not sure how they get away with that.

My friend A phoned me for a catch up, she's always happy to do any shopping for me, particularly if I have any problems getting a delivery slot.

Watched Portrait Artist, I liked several of the paintings this week. It's been a good day being in touch with so many friends.  :)

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 11th November
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 20 00:31 GMT (UK) »
So pleased to hear you had lots of contact with your friends today... I’m sure it makes all the difference to you...
It’s getting quite difficult to book slots for shopping... I’ve managed to get one for 23rd Nov but can’t get one after that... yet keeping 🤞 it’s not going to be too bad or I’ll have to actually go inside the shop...
Your day has certainly been busier than mine!

I got up late this morning... busy reading and hadn’t noticed the time! Weather was mild but dull... no sunshine just that grey sky...
After breakfast I got the vacuum out and went through the house... it’s quite staggering how much fluff etc the is in the waste but the carpets look great afterwards...
Sorted out both the freezers and rearranged it all... don’t go to the lengths one friend does everything that’s in hers are noted down and crossed off when taken out... probably a good idea that way you don’t end up with three pkts peas!
Wandered down the village to post lottery money through the door of last weeks winner! Whilst out I came across four others out for a walk....Nice to catch up with people... from a distance of course! Went out in just a long sleeve top and cardigan ... amazing for November!
Bread making day today so late lunch... we had a late breakfast so didn’t seem to long to wait... 2pm!
Finished off the 8 🌈 tops and started on the Christmas sacks cut from a Christmas duvet cover... managed to get 29 out of it...
Prepared dinner... OH busy on the computer having a bit of nostalgia looking at The Old Boys site for the Grammar school he went to! Lots of sports pics on it with him in a lot of them.... got the run down on everyone he came across he remembered....
Dinner was chicken, ham, leek mushroom and tarragon, sauce I just use chicken stock with thickener in, puff pastry on top, broccoli and carrots...
Watched tv... Portrait Artist... thought some if the  paintings were quite good and the one that won I picked as my winner...
Another busy day bites the dust ....
Did some yogalates exercises last night... now teachers got two sessions on FB... need to do them! Motivation levels not brilliant at the moment...
Poured with rain most of the evening and it’s turned very windy...

Take care everyone...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 20 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Ladies, it seems you have both had a successful day keeping on keeping on..... Lovely to enjoy your walks in balmy weather and to pass the time of day with friendly people. You always make such nice dinners Caroline, and you make it sound so easy.
Bins at 02:30 Roobarb?  ::)
What happened here? The sea was very lumpy, cloud cover was incredibly thick and 45+mph Southerly winds, but dry which was a bonus, as the forecast had been for heavy rain in the morning.
I completed a couple of rounds of salute to the sun, which I had been getting lazy about, but I feel it is important not to let it slide.
Pottered around tidying etc to be ready in time to go for a walk with a friend. This had been postponed and moved a couple of times, hence my relief the rain was holding off.  Shortly before friend was due, a video call came in; very long standing friend who is having a rough time.  Lots of tears, and I was totally helpless to do or say anything bracing, though she had to laugh, as I knew she would, when I said she had rendered me speechless.
Rushed out then for the walk.  We went around the lakes, which friend had not known about. She loves the Autumn, and she enjoyed the walk with all her senses whereas, to be truthful, I just felt damp and miserable, although it was nice to see the heron, and there were more squirrels around than usual. A large cygnet clambered out of one lake and waddled over to us very purposefully, which was slightly scary.  I assume it is used to being fed.
After lunch it still wasn't raining so H and I went for a brisk march along the front.  That certainly got my blood pumping.
Later I searched on-line for a baby blanket knitting pattern, made a couple of greeting cards, and read while H was tutoring on-line. Finally the rain arrived and was hammering at the windows; my fairy lights only lasted about 20 minutes!
Started knitting later while watching Repair Shop and Master Chef.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 20 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Oh my laws!
Just heard the little boy who sang for his granny,and mentioned the wine ,
Cormac, has made a recording of Pie Jesu ,it has gone viral, absolutely sublime .
Exquisite, marvellous , ,I can’t praise it enough .
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 November 20 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Bins at 02:30 Roobarb?  ::)

I've edited my post MH, it certainly sounded like that!  ;D ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 November 20 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I'm in your camp re freezer contents, it is a good idea to make a list but I'd forget to add things and delete others! I too chose the winner of Portrait Artist as my favourite, I also liked another one of the same sitter. Well done on getting the Yogalates done, Pilates is still on my to do list .....

MH, I hope it helped your friend to talk to you, making her laugh is a good sign that it did. What a shame that you felt miserable on your first walk but I guess the fact that your friend enjoyed it so much made you feel better. Well done on braving a second walk!

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 20 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb.  :-*
AND, thank goodness about the bins!!  ;)

Viktoria, I found the clip of Cormack singing Pie Jesu.  How glorious to sing like that, and he makes it look effortless.  What a gift, and what a joy.

While searching I happened across some videos teaching mandala stone painting without the use of special equipment. I really must look out my paints and give it a try.
If anyone is curious: look for Lydia May or ask me for the link. (Not sure if I am allowed to put it here.)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 November 20 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Well, just on the news, Peter Sutcliffe ,The Yorkshire Ripper has died —-
 of  Corona Virus!     
Viktoria.