Author Topic: RAOC North Africa , how and where to start ?  (Read 203 times)

Offline Bluearmy1875

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAOC North Africa , how and where to start ?
« on: Thursday 12 November 20 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Good day to you,  i am at the start of what i believe may be a long journey into trying to find out information about my paternal Grandfather who served in WW2.
My understanding is that he served in the RAOC, in North Africa and then back in England in Nottinghamshire. 
I have him being called up in May 1940, and being discharged from the Army in December 1945, with the Rank of   P/S/CDR   which searches on line point to him being a Conductor ?  I also have reference to  H.Q.9   B.A.D  MEF  ?   
I also have a 7 digit number which i believe was his service number but am not 100% sure -   7630308      There was another number listed in notes left to me which is  30783 ?
Any guidance on a way forward would be much appreciated -   even if just to confirm that   P/S/CDR  does mean Conductor ?  And that the 7 digit number is likely to be his service number ?
Many thanks

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RAOC North Africa , how and where to start ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 November 20 09:43 GMT (UK) »
His appointment was Paid/Sub Conductor which was the lower of the two Conductor appoitments (Conductor being the higher).

9 Base Ammunition Depot was in the Middle East Force (essentially Egypt and the desert campaign) although MEF covered only part of the time in N Africa, war diaries start in 1940.

The 7 digit service number is in the block allocated post 1920 to the RAOC.  30783 looks like a pre 1920 number, back on that later.  can't tie anything to that number at present.

The journey may be long in that his record will be held, with all other WW2 records, by the MoD and must be applied for:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records  Priority is given to people looking for their own records and covid is delaying the whole process which can take months!

MaxD

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 November 20 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say welcome to Rootschat!  Just chasing the other number - what was Grandfather's name?

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Bluearmy1875

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 November 20 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply and helpful information -  his name was  Samuel Charles Bellamy,  I remember snippets of stories but so wish i'd noted it down at the time,  i know he met my Grandmother during the war whilst she was in the WVS and he was based somewhere near worksop at what he described as one of the biggest secret ammo dumps.   But whether he finished the war there i don't know. I feel really bad for not taking the time to learn their story, he and his brothers who were all in the army.  So anything i can find out now i can ensure i can pass on to my sons.
Thanks again.   

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 November 20 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I can't tie the other number to anything.

It was more likely to have been Warsop in Nottinghamshire which was the home of the massive (100 square miles) Central Ammunition Depot.

I may be able to get something on him given his rank from an RAOC expert but as said, the only way to find out about his service is to apply for his records.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 November 20 10:37 GMT (UK) »
My very knowledgeable RAOC expert has found a brief mention of what may be him early in  his service at 24 Ammunition Supply Depot (Warsop) in the RAOC Gazette in Nov/Dec 1940.  Too big to attach and I can't shrink it.  I have sent you a personal message.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk