Author Topic: Ancestry.com ThruLines showing private trees  (Read 497 times)

Offline cbowley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry.com ThruLines showing private trees
« on: Friday 13 November 20 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Using ThruLines tonight I'm seeing far more matches than normal. From the screen where it shows a picture for each of my ancestors, as an example I have one ancestor that when I move the mouse over his picture it says there are 5 DNA matches but if I click on the picture it brings up a web page that shows 39 matches, the vast majority of them with private end nodes. Another shows 9 on the ThruLines entry page, which is high for my tree, but 85 when I click through.

Unfortunately, clicking on any of the intermediate nodes that are labelled EVALUATE in the top right corner just shows the spinning circle on the right where the details would be shown. Has Ancestry introduced a bug in ThruLines that is showing much more information than it is supposed to and, if so, how soon before the fix it? I hadn't appreciated before how many people keep their information private. This suggests 6 out of 7. Seeing all these entries is a real game changer. It becomes very clear where my tree is correct (because there are so many ThruLine matches) and where it is more suspect.
Bowleys around Nether Broughton & Hathern. Coopers in Essex around Maldon, Mundon, Tolleshunt D'Arcy

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry.com ThruLines showing private trees
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 November 20 07:57 GMT (UK) »
 :-[have they now over _fixed it

Im getting the e thru lines but the last person tree owner cm amounts and relationship not showing

No point of knowing I may have second cousin twice removed thru Harriet SMITH if I cant see who it is to communicate or verify their tree

Hope this gets sorted

Btw Ancestry has always shown the living person if its the tree owner who chooses to use own name
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 November 20 09:40 GMT (UK) »
:-[have they now over _fixed it

Im getting the e thru lines but the last person tree owner cm amounts and relationship not showing

No point of knowing I may have second cousin twice removed thru Harriet SMITH if I cant see who it is to communicate or verify their tree

Hope this gets sorted

Btw Ancestry has always shown the living person if its the tree owner who chooses to use own name

I'm getting the same.

If it ain't broke .......
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Scott, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott
Essex/Herts: Livermore, Holgate, Law, Day, Myson, Boyton
Norfolk/Suffolk: Stone, Alexander, Tipple, Ingate

Offline cbowley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 November 20 20:44 GMT (UK) »
It looks like they've fixed the bug. ThruLines is back to revealing as few connections as it was before. I spent 5 hours copying as much as possible last night. I wish I'd done a few more now but when I saw that one ancestor that normally shows 3 ThruLine links was actually showing 174 my hands said it was too much. It was nice while it lasted and gives an amazing insight into just how much information is held back.
Bowleys around Nether Broughton & Hathern. Coopers in Essex around Maldon, Mundon, Tolleshunt D'Arcy

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 November 20 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Part of me wishes I could have seen that too.

But they still haven't reinstored the end of the thru lines to see which match the descending line belongs to.

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline cbowley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 November 20 00:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm beginning to wonder if those were actual DNA matches. If you were going to design TruLines as a very scalable system then maybe it would make sense to pre-generate the most optimistically inclusive trees and then snip-off the branches that don't contain any people that are known DNA matches to the particular viewer before displaying it. In that case the pre-generated trees would contains false connections if the source trees from which they are created have errors but it wouldn't normally matter because there are unlikely to be DNA matches across errors. However, if the snipping was accidentally turned off then you would see everything including many more errors than expected. The links I was seeing that were getting me excited were just over optimistic links others have included in their trees that were then being imported into TruLines.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 November 20 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I took photos of all the trees on my mobile so that I could work through them later. 

They didn't all contain dna matches but gave a lot of hints about different branches that maybe one needed a kickstart for.  The problem with the end of the line being 'Private' mostly is that you can't search your matches for that person cos you don't know who they are, but a bit of effort from other resources should be able to work it out.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire