Author Topic: Looking for John William ROBSON, North East England  (Read 1197 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for John William ROBSON, North East England
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 November 20 17:12 GMT (UK) »
The Poster has two families mixed up here.

In the 1891 census John William Robson, a colliery clerk is with his mother Mary W. Robson who is the head of household and states that he was born in Hartlepool. Edit he is 22 years old in 1891

Are you saying that the 1901 John William Robson, a colliery clerk born Hartlepool,  married to Jessie, and who is clearly the person mentioned in the newspaper article of 1913 is a different person? If so, how have you come to that conclusion? Edit he is 32 years old in 1901

In the 1881 census he is with his mother Mary W Robson, he is 12 years old and his place of birth is Hartlepool.

It is only in the 1871 census that his place of birth is stated to be Sunderland.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 November 20 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I would be extremely grateful for some fresh eyes to look at this, please.

I am looking for a John William Robson born 1868/9 in Sunderland, Durham. 

I have John William Robson on the 1871 census at 13 Normandy Street, Sunderland with his father, John Adamson Robson, sailmaker, his mother Mary Walker Robson and his older sisters, Ann and Jane.
All of this ties in with handwritten family trees created by other members of the family.

"I am looking for a John William Robson born 1868/9 in Sunderland, Durham."

The Mother of the one in the 1871 Census quoted was a Douglass at Marriage. GRO Birth Index 1868 has District Hartlepool for Mother Maiden Surname Douglas.

Mark

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 November 20 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have John William Robson on the 1871 census at 13 Normandy Street, Sunderland with his father, John Adamson Robson, sailmaker, his mother Mary Walker Robson and his older sisters, Ann and Jane.
All of this ties in with handwritten family trees created by other members of the family.

I agree that is what has been said.

However there seems little doubt that, working backwards through the censuses (as you recommend and clearly what the original poster has done), the actual place of birth is Hartlepool. The only census in which the place of birth is stated to be Sunderland is the 1871 census, but it is clearly the same family as in the later censuses.

Unless your researches can conclusively prove differently, of course.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 November 20 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello

The Mother of the one in the 1871 Census quoted was a Douglass at Marriage. GRO Birth Index 1868 has District Hartlepool for Mother Maiden Surname Douglas.

I just noticed that you edited your posting after my previous reply.

Please look at the 1881 census, where you will find Mary W, together with the children she had with her in 1871, Ann Jane and John (stated born Sunderland in 1871 and Hartlepool in 1881 and thereafter). In the same household is her relative William Douglass.

I think to suggest its a different person because of a missing 's' in the surname on a birth registration is stretching things a bit.

Offline Montycat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 November 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

Apologies for not getting back sooner, but the PC was needed by one of my children!

Many thanks to you all for your research and guidance.  It is really, really appreciated.

I am very sorry if I have made any mistakes or, very probably, just not expressed my original post very clearly.  I am a beginner at all this and this is why I really do appreciate all your thoughts and comments.  I can learn from it all.  I certainly don't mean to frustrate anyone!

I did start this research with a 'known' in that it came from conversations with my elderly, living relative who knew their direct ancestor, Jessie Elizabeth Robson (Best) and knew that the family had lived in Heaton, etc. This relative had heard very little about Jessie's husband (except for his name and parents' names and his occupation) and that is why I posted my query.

We had no idea where John William Robson was born, I took Sunderland from the census as JenB suggests and I did point out on my original post that another census says Hartlepool.  Maybe I should not have mentioned it, but I didn't know which census was correct and was conscious of trying to give as much information as I thought I had identified without saying anything to potentially identify my living relative.

JenB, I have looked at the census entry you hinted at and marvelled at the address as I know the street!  I will look into this further.

Many thanks again to everyone for helping to solve a big part of this mystery and giving me so much more to look into. 

Cat

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 November 20 19:51 GMT (UK) »
How marvellous that you are now able to tell your relative the full story.

I am very sorry if I have made any mistakes or, very probably, just not expressed my original post very clearly.  I am a beginner at all this and this is why I really do appreciate all your thoughts and comments.  I can learn from it all.  I certainly don't mean to frustrate anyone!

There’s no need to apologise  :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 November 20 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

Apologies for not getting back sooner, but the PC was needed by one of my children!

Many thanks to you all for your research and guidance.  It is really, really appreciated.

No apologies necessary, from the information you gave about John William and his parents it was clear which JW you were referring to.  ;D.   

I am really pleased that with the kick start we had from sgf28 with that newspaper report we were able to locate him as you asked.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 November 20 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Death: 1st q. 1947, Northumberland South 1b, 532, John William Robson aged 78.

Newcastle Evening Chronicle, 20th March 1947.

Robson, South Gosforth, 24 Windsor Terrace, 17th, aged 78 years, John William, beloved husband of Mary Elizabeth. Cremation private. 

Check the address against the 1939 register  ;)

-----------------------------------------------------

Death: 3rd q. 1957, Northumberland Central 1b, 198, Mary Elizabeth Robson, aged 83.

Newcastle Evening Chronicle, 15th July 1957

Robson, Bedlington, 73 Hartlands (daughter's residence) July 12 aged 83 years, Mary Elizabeth, beloved wife of the late John William Robson of Gosforth. Was cremated today (Monday)

John William & Mary Elizabeth's daughter Marjorie (born 1912) was living in Bedlington in 1939.