Author Topic: Wanted Smith / Hainsworth Family Bible  (Read 2686 times)

Offline SmithBible

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wanted Smith / Hainsworth Family Bible
« on: Friday 13 November 20 14:57 GMT (UK) »
A family bible last held by Hilda Gamble née Smith (1890-1979) was sold in Harrogate, Yorkshire, England to an unknown collector sometime in 1980. I believe this bible contained the will of my 3x great grandmother Elizabeth Smith née Gaunt (c1794-1855) of Mount Farm, Alwoodley, Yorkshire, England. The will names her sons John & Joseph Smith, and her nephew Reuben Gaunt, manufacturer, as her executors.

The bible was known to be kept by my great grandparents Frederick Smith (1858-1934) and Sarah Smith née Hainsworth (1856-1914) at their home Sycamore Cottage, Eccup, Yorkshire, England.

I assume the bible lists Fred and Sarah’s children including William Arthur Smith 1879-1879, Louisa Smith b1882, John William Smith b1883, Harry Smith 1886-88, Walter Smith 1888-1918, Hilda Smith b1890, Sarah Elizabeth Smith b1892, Thomas Alfred Smith 1894-1918, Charles Edward Smith b1896 and Lucy Smith b1899.

I hope the bible also lists my 2x great grandparents Joseph Smith (1830-1904) and Martha Smith née Smith (1832-1872), my 3x great grandparents Samuel Smith (c1794-1838) and Elizabeth Smith (c1794-1855 ) - all at Burtree House / Mount Farm, Alwoodley, Yorkshire, England - and further back?It may instead list my Hainsworth ancestors from Eccup, Yorkshire, England - my 2x great grandparents William Hainsworth (1833-1896) and Anne Hainsworth née Rothery (1834-1867) - and further back?

I’d be really grateful - and surprised - if this bible is ‘out there’ somewhere and if whoever now has it could copy its family information to me.

Can anybody help?

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted Smith / Hainsworth Family Bible
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 November 20 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have you tried contacting the many people who have Hilda Smith and Harry Gamble in their trees.

Peter

Offline SmithBible

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted Smith / Hainsworth Family Bible
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion. The trees I've seen are all very 'thin' re my Smith and Hainsworth ancestors, so I guess none of their owners has access to family details that the lost bible might contain. The Smith information I have is much fuller back to my 3x g grandfather Samuel, but I've come to full stop with him. I believe I've got details of my Hainsworth ancestry much further back.

As far as I know, the family bible was sold, along with all Hilda Smith Gamble's effects, by her sister Lucy Smith Ibbotson. When Lucy was challenged about the whereabouts of the bible by her elder sister Lizzie Smith Myers (she had emigrated with her husband Tommy Myers to Saskatchewan in the 1920s), she denied all knowledge of it.

Regards