Author Topic: Marriage details  (Read 2491 times)

Offline rob749

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage details
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 November 20 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thanks everyone for all the helpful hints and information, there's a lot of stuff in there. I really appreciate it. In answer to the questions posed.
1. Anne Evans is shown living with Father Ebenezer aged 6, Birth year 1875, Address Berllan, Penboyr in 1881 Census. Also shown, 1891 Census, Anne Evans, aged 16, Perthiteg, Penboyr.

2. Ebenezer Evans - profession Wool Weaver on census, Weaver on certificate.

3. Henry Jones profession - Labourer on marriage certificate, Ag Labourer on census.

4. No actual birth date for Anne evans as yet, but think I may have got it down to March Quarter with a GRO Volume and Page no ref, just by using age on wedding date (assuming its 17yrs, and date of 1901 census, then by elimination going by age it must be between Jan and Mar 1875. Just have to chance it and buy certificate and see if its right.

5. Osprey, thats correct its my family with the 1901 census, also confirmed in 1911 census living in Margam, but still showing employment as Manager of Welsh woollen mill, with his brother in law (Anne Evans brother) lodging there, and showing employment at same factory as him. Odd, as I don't think there were any woollen mills in that area. Unless they commuted - unlikely I would have thought. Re the Dyffryn Mills, is it likely workers actually live at the mill then? Or is it just where they were when census was taken? Then it begs the question what was the 4 Meiros Street thing that I can't find at all, all I have found is that there is a Meiros Lane in Drefach, but no census info that I can find anyway. See Note 3 for Henry profession. Also thanks for the newspaper item, very interesting.

I also found that my grandparents lost a daughter Rachel Maud Jones, my Aunt, by drowning in the mill stream behind the houses in Drefach aged about 3-4yrs. She is on the 1901 Census aged 1, but not 1911, and recorded on there is 1 child deceased, interesting stuff. Can't find any newspaper items about that, maybe Osprey could point me in the right direction their please?

Well, thanks so much everybody, you are all so helpful, all I'm concerned about now is that if its the wrong marriage certificate, it could all be wrong! I just went on the first born's age assuming they were married when she was born in 1894, and Anne Evan's age, assuming she was over 16 when married, which narrowed it down to 1891 -1894. I suppose you have to assume lots without concrete evidence and just hope for the best ! Sorry about the long post, but I am extremely grateful for all your help.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 November 20 12:17 GMT (UK) »
You could join this facebook group to ask about mills in the area:
https://www.facebook.com/Old.Port.Talbot

or if non-facebook
http://www.historicalporttalbot.com/

Nothing to do with this, I have just zoomed in to Margam on a map, near Kenfig Hill, which was where a university acquaintance came from, I thought it was one word when I first met her.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 November 20 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Just have to chance it and buy certificate and see if its right.

No need to guess really.

EVANS, ANNE
Mother's maiden surname: OLIVER     
GRO Reference: 1874  D Quarter in NEWCASTLE IN EMLYN  Volume 11B  Page 19

You will find births registered for all of their other children who appear in census records.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Ebenezer and Mary married in 1870.

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 November 20 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Birth
JONES, RACHEL  MAUD
Mother's maiden surname: EVANS     
GRO Reference: 1899  S Quarter in NEWCASTLE IN EMLYN  Volume 11B  Page 15

Death
JONES, RACHEL  MAUD
Aged 3 
GRO Reference: 1903  M Quarter in NEWCASTLE-IN-EMLYN  Volume 11B  Page 19

Welsh newspapers are online here.

https://newspapers.library.wales/home

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 November 20 13:53 GMT (UK) »
on the 1891 census, John O Jones is enumerated as servant, so he might still be apprenticed at the mill. By the time he married, he might have finished his apprenticeship and moved out of the mill. Meiros Lane appears to be in Llangeler rather than Penboyr.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01q1m/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline rob749

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 November 20 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Just have to chance it and buy certificate and see if its right.

No need to guess really.

EVANS, ANNE
Mother's maiden surname: OLIVER     
GRO Reference: 1874  D Quarter in NEWCASTLE IN EMLYN  Volume 11B  Page 19

You will find births registered for all of their other children who appear in census records.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Ebenezer and Mary married in 1870.

Hi Debra, Thanks to everyone for the research. When I did a search on there for 1874, it came up with about 4 options, just wondering how you narrowed it down to one, I couldn't find a way to check for any detail. Could birth/reg date also be Jan/Feb/Mar 1875, the years all work out then too I think, assuming all the Census' are in April?
How did you get the Ebenezer and Mary marriage too. Be good to know for future reference. Please let me know. Thanks again.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 November 20 16:51 GMT (UK) »
if you use the GRO website to check the birth regs, the maiden names are given for the period before they appear on FreeBmd

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

If you have a family with a common surname, check the birth of a child with a less common first name(s), so
Albert Oliver Evans age 1 in 1891 has mother's maiden name Oliver
Gwilym Edgar age 5 has mother's maiden name Oliver
Harry Gladstone age 7 has mother's maiden name Oliver
so you can be sure that the birth reg for Anne is the one with mother's maiden name Oliver.

Then using FreeBmd, you can search for a marriage between Ebenezer Evans and Mary Oliver and both names appear in march qtr 1870 Newcastle Emlyn vol 11b pg 29. The parish entry for the marriage can be accessed via FindmyPast
31 March 1870 parish church of Llangeler
Ebenezer Evans 20 bach weaver Cefen Canol father Thomas Evans weaver
Mary Oliver 20 spinster Star father David Oliver farmer
witnesses John Evans & William Jones (?), all signed.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline rob749

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 November 20 18:59 GMT (UK) »
if you use the GRO website to check the birth regs, the maiden names are given for the period before they appear on FreeBmd

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

If you have a family with a common surname, check the birth of a child with a less common first name(s), so
Albert Oliver Evans age 1 in 1891 has mother's maiden name Oliver
Gwilym Edgar age 5 has mother's maiden name Oliver
Harry Gladstone age 7 has mother's maiden name Oliver
so you can be sure that the birth reg for Anne is the one with mother's maiden name Oliver.

Then using FreeBmd, you can search for a marriage between Ebenezer Evans and Mary Oliver and both names appear in march qtr 1870 Newcastle Emlyn vol 11b pg 29. The parish entry for the marriage can be accessed via FindmyPast
31 March 1870 parish church of Llangeler
Ebenezer Evans 20 bach weaver Cefen Canol father Thomas Evans weaver
Mary Oliver 20 spinster Star father David Oliver farmer
witnesses John Evans & William Jones (?), all signed.

Thanks for the very useful tips on how to use the GRO, had no idea it would come up with the maiden name of the mother, thought that had to be typed in, really useful information thanks.

Just one thing, out of curiosity, I went to the Findmypast website to look at the Parish Marriages, and there's no way I can bring up the information in the search that you have quoted, with regard to Mary Oliver and Ebenezer Evans. I must be doing something wrong, but I've tried all sorts of combinations of years, places, record sets, Llangeler, Newcastle in Emlyn etc, but keeps coming up 'No Results'.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 November 20 19:10 GMT (UK) »
under Search, select Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish records, put in Ebenezer Evans and 1870 as the year of marriage. Select the record from the set Carmarthenshire Marriages & Banns and look at the attached image, not just the index.

Just noticed that Mary has been indexed as Olwer. I'll submit a correction.

;)