Author Topic: Stuck...parish records and missing father  (Read 793 times)

Offline littlemisssleepy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuck...parish records and missing father
« on: Friday 13 November 20 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello :)

I am a new member but have been doing research on and off for a few years.

I have now got back to 1797 on one part of my tree. William Kemp born 1797 in Walsham-le-Willow, Suffolk. On his baptism record there is no named father and his mother is listed as Hannah Kemp. (not the first time in my family, so no shock there!) While looking for other family members I found a baptism record for Robert Kemp in 1801, mother is also listed as Hannah Kemp but no father listed again. However, in the notes section there is " Hannah wife or wd of Thomas who has not been heard of many years"

Can anyone suggest how I go back further now as Kemp is the family name but it seems this is the married name of Hannah but Thomas Kemp is not the father to either William or Robert.
I can not seem to find a marriage between a Thomas Kemp and a Hannah

Is there any suggestions as to what happened or a way to find out what possibly happened to Thomas as well?

Many thanks
Leanne

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck...parish records and missing father
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 November 20 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leanne,     

Welcome to Rootschat!     

Found this . . . . .

Robert Kemp
 Baptism Date:     5 Aug 1801
 Baptism Place:     Walsham Le Willows,Suffolk,England
 Death Date:     17 Nov 1801
 Father:     Jho. Kemp
 Mother:     Hannah
 FHL Film Number:     952204     

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 November 20 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank goodness for little notes!

I wonder if that transcription has "Jho" instead of "Tho" (Thomas) and has just inputted that as the father. (Edit- There's another one that does say "Thomas" as father). Just goes to show sometimes you can't trust transcriptions and original records should be double checked if possible!

I'd also look for variations of Hannah (such as Anna or even Anne). Sometimes it depended on what the person writing it heard.

Do you have a death/burial for Hannah, or anything that might indicate her approximate birth?

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 November 20 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat ;D

Can't specifically help with your Kemps in Suffolk however it maybe worth you checking out Bunwell and Carlton Rodes PRs in  Norfolk as there are many Kemps  goiing back to mid 1600s there and it is only about 20 miles from Walsham Le Willows,Suffolk so a likelihood they could be part of the same Kemp family
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline littlemisssleepy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 November 20 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank goodness for little notes!

I wonder if that transcription has "Jho" instead of "Tho" (Thomas) and has just inputted that as the father. (Edit- There's another one that does say "Thomas" as father). Just goes to show sometimes you can't trust transcriptions and original records should be double checked if possible!

I'd also look for variations of Hannah (such as Anna or even Anne). Sometimes it depended on what the person writing it heard.

Do you have a death/burial for Hannah, or anything that might indicate her approximate birth?

I think you might be right that it has been mistranscribed with Thomas as Jho.

It is more William that I was looking at as this is my direct relation and this is what I found for him, which suggests that it was an illegitimate birth.
First name(s)   William
Last name   Kemp
Birth year   1797
Baptism year   1797
Baptism date   07 May 1797
Place   Walsham-Le-Willows
Father's first name(s)   -
Mother's first name(s)   Hannah (Baseborn)
Relationship   Son Of
Parents   Hannah (baseborn)

But for Robert, his brother, I have found this which highlights that Thomas has not been seen for many years.

First name(s)   Robert
Last name   Kemp
Birth year   1801
Baptism year   1801
Baptism date   09 Aug 1801
Place   Walsham-Le-Willows
Father's first name(s)   -
Mother's first name(s)   Hannah Wf Or Wid Of Thomas Not Seen Many Years
Relationship   Son Of
Parents   Hannah wf or wid of Thomas not seen many years

I have today found a Hannah Kemp who married in 1806 to John Folkard. Then Hannah Folkard death in 1837 aged 83 with a year of birth as 1854.

Would Thomas have had to have been missing for a period of time before Hannah could remarry?

I presume only if a couple was married could the father be named on the birth/baptism entry?

Thanks for your help!

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 November 20 15:19 GMT (UK) »
OK if Norfolk, additionally . . . . .     

( 1841, all bic, Scottow )     
John 80 AgLab     
Hannah 64     
Elijah 28     
Elisha 26 AgLab     
Stephen 19 AgLab     

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline littlemisssleepy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 November 20 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat ;D

Can't specifically help with your Kemps in Suffolk however it maybe worth you checking out Bunwell and Carlton Rodes PRs in  Norfolk as there are many Kemps  goiing back to mid 1600s there and it is only about 20 miles from Walsham Le Willows,Suffolk so a likelihood they could be part of the same Kemp family

Thank you! All of my Kemps so far have been in Suffolk but as you say, it is not far between the two . My grandma had a step-father who was Kemp and she later married a Kemp which I am sure is not a coincidence but I am unable to find the link between the two at the moment! I never knew there were so many Kemps until I started this!  ;D

Offline littlemisssleepy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 November 20 15:24 GMT (UK) »
OK if Norfolk, additionally . . . . .     

( 1841, all bic, Scottow )     
John 80 AgLab     
Hannah 64     
Elijah 28     
Elisha 26 AgLab     
Stephen 19 AgLab   

Thank you for your help Ray. I don't think this is correct Hannah in this instance, unfortunately.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 November 20 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Something to consider:

Thomas Kemp married Ann Jolley 12/9/1791 Hunston (just 2/3 miles from Walsham le Willows), he of Banham, Norfolk and she of Hunston.

Thomas Kemp bp.15/3/1762 Banham, son of John and Elizabeth
Anne Jolley bp.13/7/1766 Hunston, dau. of John and Sarah.

On the same date as their marriage a dau. Sarah Kemp baptised - birthdate shown as 17/8/1791.
No other children born to couple so did Thomas do a 'runner'.

On 11/10/1811 at Walsham le Willows a Sarah Kemp married a William Doe - was this the above Sarah?

On 10/8/1806 at Walsham le Willows a Hannah Kemp married a John Folkard - no status given for this couple online but no children born suggesting both were older and possibly widowed.

John Folkard bc.1760 died 1830 Walsham le Willows.
A Hannah Folkard died 1837 and buried 6/9/1837 Walsham le Willow and seems likely to have been John's wife - however, her age is given as 83 making a ca.birthdate of 1754.   Could this have been an error made by the informant.   Who knows?  Or was Hannah one of those who appear to get older as they age?

Thought this worth mentioning anyway.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk