Author Topic: Donald McDonald 1854  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McDonald 1854
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 14:45 GMT (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 15:33 GMT (UK) »
So when you hit a wall like that, where there are no records, is that it?
Are there any other options? Visiting churches?

Annie, I will have a look on that site,

Thank you
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »
So when you hit a wall like that, where there are no records, is that it?
In many cases, yes.

Visiting churches?
Don't bother. All the surviving pre-1855 registers of the Church of Scotland were collected in 1855 by the Registrar General, and that is what makes up the Church of Scotland records on Scotland's People. The Catholic and assorted dissenting churches' registers make up the rest of the information on SP. Very, very few churches still hold their own pre-1855 registers.

There could be an occasional register that has escaped the net, but it's much more likely that the record of the event you can't find has just not survived. Especially death records, because deaths often just weren't recorded.

There are a few other sources, but mostly you only find records of people who were important or who owned land.

It'll be interesting to see if Ross and Cromarty Roots can suggest anything.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rossal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 18:11 BST (UK) »
I am new to Rootschat,so please forgive me if I make mistakes! Donald McDonald, who was born in Contin, Ross-shire in 1854 was my (half) great uncle. He went to work as a groom to the Angerstein family in Wales and married Margaret Morgan there. His youngest (half) brother was my grandfather Murdo Maclennan MacDonald. Murdo was an illegitimate child born to Isabella several years after the death of her husband John MacDonald, the tailor in Contin. If anybody sees this message, I won't be able to reply immediately because I'm going away for a few days.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 08:28 BST (UK) »
Rossal, welcome to Rootschat, this site lists the tenants on Fairburn estate, next door to Contin so you might be lucky and find a connection.

https://fairburn-estate.co.uk/?page_id=203

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Rossal,

Thank you for your message. It's my wife's side of the tree and we intend to pay a visit to the area once everything has settled down.
I have gone slightly farther back with John McDonald and Isabella Mclennan, so if you want to know anymore, please let me know.

Kind regards

Richard
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.