Author Topic: Diary > Friday 13th November  (Read 795 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 13th November
« on: Friday 13 November 20 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Felt rubbish today, was trying to work out what I'd eaten yesterday that would have affected me, a Sunday type dinner was unlikely to be the culprit. Then I remembered that I'd had hummus for lunch, it could only have been that. It was very oily but I didn't think that would have any effect, it obviously did. Chucked the rest of it in the bin.

Art class Zoom lesson this morning, I was pleased with how my painting was progressing, the teacher was too. It went on quite a long time after schedule, I wasn't hungry but thought I should have something to eat so made a sandwich.

Went for usual walk, it was lovely and sunny but quite cold. Didn't stay out for long, wasn't really feeling much like it, came home and made myself comfy on the sofa and watched some TV.

Did an omelette for tea, nothing to accompany it except a slice of bread. Felt a bit better later in the evening. I'd been intending having a more restful day but not quite to this extent. Ah well, the ironing can wait, I have plenty of clothes.

Hope it's been a better Friday the thirteenth for others.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 13th November
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 November 20 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes Roobarb, glad you feel better.
I have posted elsewhere ,but a good day for me .lots done and a surprise,
—— well what I thought was Chick pea curry was Irish stew!
Why do I fondly imagine I will remember what things in the freezer are!
Arrogance!
Working outside in the lovely sunshine ,so not yet done  the batch of cheese
 and onion pies I intended to make.
A rainy day will do for those.
No real plans for tomorrow ,unless it rains.
Daughter’s 53 rd Birthday soon, must make a card.
I have a photo of her crying ,as a toddler, gosh what a face - her bottom lip !.
But no ,a nice one .
I think I misunderstood the nasty dog situation , thought they were out of their garden sometimes.
But to bark at passers by ,very frightening.

Well ,bed I think , drink of warm ,milk teeth and last eye drops .
Good night and “ see “ you tomorrow.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 November 20 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear you’ve felt ‘rubbish’ today Roobarb...
You did well to get out for a walk and stuck with your art class...
It never hurts to curl up in the sofa, snuggle down, watch tv or read a book...
As you say the ironing can wait!
Hope you’ll feel better tomorrow...

Woke up quite early and had a read... I could see from round the corners of the blind it was a dull day... and a wet one.
I’d intended to have a shower and hair wash after breakfast so just put on my dressing gown...
Oh blimy yogalates teachers posted on fb she’s doing a class at 10am.... quick change into my kit ... got mat, ball, band and cushion all set up in the landing and waited for it to start....
OH phoned the police first thing and got through...🎉🎉... the call handler tried to fob him off saying it wasn’t a police matter... but OH soon put him right and he got through... he was given an incident number... aren’t we always they’re good at those...
The officer had also received our friends online complaint too so an officer would be despatched to see the people...
10.30.... still no class... I messaged her and she said she’d get it up on the site shortly....
Had a cup of coffee....
started the  ironing ....
Having problems with the download she says...
Press all the Christmas sacks I’m making....
Another hour goes by...
Clean the kitchen windows... still got my exercise kit on!
Had lunch!
Message from friends to say they’d had a call from the PCSO and he was in his way to see about the dogs... great...let’s hope they’re in or if not that the dogs are out and he gets same treatment as others have had!
Finally.... exercise class is up... spend hour and half doing it....felt great afterwards... must try and do better and participate more often!
OH busy watching golf... or doing his new jigsaw.... whilst I’m rushing round like a lunatic...
Just did bit more sewing....as you do!
Sit down for a while with a cuppa  managed to get onto Waitrose site and they’d got more dates available so managed to get one for 7th Dec... just need one for a fortnight after that and it’ll be Christmas...almost!
finally have shower and hair wash...
Message from friends... they’d heard back from the officer... would you believe it they weren’t there and neither were the dogs... 😤😤BUT there were some people around and they told him the same as we all have so he’s going to call back tomorrow... keeping 🤞🤞...
For dinner we had cod loin which I wrapped smoked bacon round and baked in the oven, I had ratatouille , OH not keen on it... no actually he doesn’t like courgette or aubergine so he doesn’t eat it! we had creamy mash and broccoli...
I carried on knitting whilst we watched the  rugby...Ireland v Wales... and the golf...
a sporting evening I think you’d call that!
A funny old day really...my son was born on the 13th of a month so it’s not all bad.. bless him...
Be interesting to see how Boris manages without either of his advisers now...

Stay safe and keep healthy everyone...
Caroline

Added for Viktoria- re the dogs ... they had got out of their garden through a less than adequate fence and were on the grass verge and sometimes in the road...
Nice to have a surprise for dinner when least expected!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 November 20 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Well at least it wasn't apple crumble Viktoria!!  ;)
Hope you are feeling better today Roobarb, and looking at the forecast, I'm guessing the dogs won't be out today Caroline, but hopefully enough will be said for the fence to be mended.
DIARY: Wall to wall sunshine for Friday 13th, which I tried not to think about...
Weighed the baby blanket knitting I have done, and after some complicated mathematics, concluded that what was sold as 250g had not been 250g in the first instance, and that it would not be sufficient, so walked into town and managed to find the same colour for another ball. Obviously it is a a different dye lot, but it is a fleck in white, so if I am careful where I change I don't think it will be too obvious. Hopefully. 
Town seemed noticeably quieter. 5 ships in the Bay. 
Watched the SAGE weekly report which was fairly depressing.
Drove over towards Torquay to the M&S food hall to make up a hamper for a Christmas gift, which may turn out to be a doorstep delivery rather than a visit. Time will tell.
I turned my fairy lights off before going to bed. They had twinkled merrily for 6 hours. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 November 20 08:44 GMT (UK) »
QUOTE: "Be interesting to see how Boris manages without either of his advisers now... "

Do we imagine Carrie will be any better?  :-\
No wonder he looked so defeated in the Abbey on Thursday!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 November 20 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Gosh you have got on quickly with your blanket... sure the new wool will look fine
A nice ideas to make up a hamper out of special goodies...
OurWI has made up Christmas hampers for tge elderly in the village for a very long time.. it was always a lovely morning when as a committee we got together with mince pies and a drink and put all the ingredients into each hamper with a personal message in a  card... we then split up in twos and went about delivering them all... often it would take sometime as we’re often invited in for a cuppa and a chat..... wonder what will happen this year.... I’m not involved any longer but I always enjoyed the giving bit!

Indeed, she will have his ear at all times if the day and night!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 November 20 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Mowsehowse, the last time I was at my daughter’s for Christmas ,driving through the Sussex villages in the pitch dark,my s in l took a small diversion to show me a house so covered in lights it was a danger to shipping and aircraft!
Really over the top.
After Christmas some friends visited unexpectedly, doing the rounds with small gifts etc .
The talk got round to lights ,don’t know why, but I said “ have you seen that house absolutely smothered in lights ?”
“ Which one, “ asked a visitor, my daughter quick as a wink ,said, “ Mum is
now in Lancashire humour mode ,she knows very well it is your house ,we drove  past specially to show her “.I didn’t as no names had been mentioned.
Gulp!
Whew!
I just had to laugh ,but —— could have been awkward.
Naturally the friends took the drive past as a compliment ,so if there was an
empty spot there won’t be this year.
Must get baking, doing the Dundee cakes Roobarb gave the recipe for ,I have gone off the very dark heavy fruitcakes I have made for 64 Christmases plus weddings,Christenings ,Wedding anniversaries for all my OH family and mine ,friends and retirements.
Dundee might not keep as long as that recipe ,but does say six weeks.
No set plans today,so dull dark and dank ,absolute opposite of yesterday.
A cosy stay in day ,loose ends need tying up.
Must get The dratted paperwork ready for number one son to reply to Belgian pensions .Why won’t they leave me alone! :'(
10-30 just finish my cuppa, and get weaving,crack on ,get wired in, etc etc etc.
Sounds good about the dogs , things moving along a bit .
At times like those mentioned don’t you sometimes feel the law is more on
the side of the wrongdoer!

I always feel better when I have tidied up.I go to bed leaving things tidy,well —— you never know at my age !
I mean it looks like vandals have been in the kitchen and I have
as yet only made a cup of tea.
That is the trouble with streamlined modern kitchens .
My Victorian wooden kitchen was more forgiving ,cosy and functional I loved it ,smaller, everything to hand .
Mind you this big kitchen does mean there are several miles  between  the cooker and sink , so I do get exercise.
Well ,must get dressed .
My Mum’s flowers for her anniversary (Nov 6 th,63 years ),ago are still lovely
Alstroemerias ,not much to look at first but opened into lovely shell pink blooms still fresh.
Bill Turnbull on Classic gold, a discussion as to what is a chukkie egg .
They are nicer than ordinary boiled eggs — but my Mum used to say “ Would you  like a chukkie egg,chopped up in a cup with butter S&P and bread an
and butter?”
Ooooh YES!
Well ,poor Boris, wonder if the wives ( ?)  of otherPMs had any say in things,I am not really familiar with details ,but seems odd.
Oh dear ,just what we don’t need.
Keep well everyone and even in these difficult times hope some nice events brighten your weekend .
Cheerio.Viktoria.

butter.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 November 20 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Oh I did laugh Viktoria. ;) Your daughter was quick wasn't she!!
We have covenants for the apartment block which does say we are not allowed to put things on or around the balcony, but the lights hardly notice in daylight and the dark evenings are so grim.  :'(
I wound the string around the lower bar on the balcony and then back along the upper bar so  hopefully I am not posing a hazard to shipping or aircraft!!  :D

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 November 20 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, pleased to hear you finally got your yogalates class and managed to snaffle a Waitrose slot. I've got mine booked for the 18th, will be looking for one on the 28th. No doubt people will be grabbing those for new year booze deliveries! Can't wait to hear the next episode of the dogs tale.

MH, a sunny day makes a world of difference, and to your fairy lights too.  :)

Viktoria, I laughed too at the story of the Christmas lights and your daughter's quick thinking.  ;D When I first moved into this house there was a house on the way round to mine that was covered in lights at Christmas. A friend and I referred to it for years as the Griswolds (National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation). I think the original occupants must have moved because after a few year it didn't continue, although by then half the houses in the area had gone over the top, there was a  santa and reindeer flying across the gable end of one.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales