Author Topic: William Evans married Anne David - Loughor, Glamorganshire  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Evans married Anne David - Loughor, Glamorganshire
« on: Saturday 14 November 20 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I'm really struggling with these two.

I have thier marriage in 1822 Loughor, Glamorganshire. Both single and in the presence of David Williams, Griffith Catorn? and David Phillips.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FWAL%2F4263853%2F00021&parentid=GBPRS%2FM%2F858009517%2F1

And then I have thier daughter Mary Evans born and baptised in 1823, Swansea, Glamorganshire. William is listed as a tailor.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FWAL%2F4265324%2F00211&parentid=GBPRS%2FB%2F871874034%2F1

Mary Evans, haven't found her on the 1841 census. But in 1851 she living with her husband Joseph Slee and her daughter Caroline. She is listed as a dress maker. She then dies somewhere between 1851 and 1859.

I can't find any other children for William and Anne, which I think is the reason this has become so difficult.

I'm struggling with them on the 1841/1851 census, although they could easily have died before then.

Hoping anyone can help me find more info on either of the two.

Thanks for reading.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William Evans married Anne David - Loughor, Glamorganshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 November 20 14:26 GMT (UK) »

Mary Evans, haven't found her on the 1841 census. But in 1851 she living with her husband Joseph Slee and her daughter Caroline. She is listed as a dress maker. She then dies somewhere between 1851 and 1859.

For anyone looking, this family are in St Helier, Jersey in 1851.  Mary is age 34 her place of birth is 'Wales'
HO107/2527 Folio 165 Page 14

How have you linked Mary back to being the daughter of the couple married in 1822
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 November 20 14:42 GMT (UK) »

For anyone looking, this family are in St Helier, Jersey in 1851.  Mary is age 34 her place of birth is 'Wales'
HO107/2527 Folio 165 Page 14

How have you linked Mary back to being the daughter of the couple married in 1822

Admittedly it's very flimsy. But it's the only marriage that came up. Using find my past. Set it to filter marriages. Put in swansea, glamorganshire where Mary was born. Put in William Evans, checked the name variations. Then for spouse I put Anne, checked the name variations. And that was the only record that came up that was 1823 or before. I even chaged the radius slider and it was still the same.

However, slight update. Because I searched (find my past) for the marriage through William. This time I did it through Anne to see what find my past recommends on the right side. It gave me a baptism for her in 1786 Loughor.

I've now searched for an Anne Evans in 1841 census with this date for her. A record in Swansea, Glamorganshire has come up with that date. She seems to be widowed. Living with her two children John and William. Her occuaption says: jmd?

And there is also a Mary Evans living as a female servant on the first page, born 1826 which isn't oo far off my 1823 for her.

Maybe I'm on the right track? I'm on my seventh generation layer so it's getting more based on assumptions.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBC%2F1841%2F1419%2F0198&parentid=GBC%2F1841%2F0005688283

Thanks for replying.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 November 20 14:47 GMT (UK) »
How do you know that Mary Evans was born in Swansea.  1851 does not say where in Wales she was born and you say she has died before the next census. 

Do you have the marriage of Joseph & Mary  :-\

Sorry for so many questions
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 November 20 15:00 GMT (UK) »
How do you know that Mary Evans was born in Swansea.  1851 does not say where in Wales she was born and you say she has died before the next census. 

Do you have the marriage of Joseph & Mary  :-\

Sorry for so many questions

Again, on the flimsier side. I know that Joseph Slee was in Swansea in 1841 but not yet with Mary.

When I put in Mary Evans. 1817 give or take 5 years. I put in William and Anne in the parents. About 25 results came up. Flicked through each one. And the 1823 stood out to me. Mainly because it's the same area as Joseph Slee in 1841 and that it lists him as a tailor which I though made sense for her then becoming a dress maker.

As a clearly more experience searcher, just let me know if you think that's way too far fetched.

Never was able to find the marriage, unfortunately.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 November 20 15:01 GMT (UK) »
This family has been researched recently on a facebook family history group. Was very confusing but not sure if anything was resolved. I’ll see if i can find it.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 November 20 15:08 GMT (UK) »
This family has been researched recently on a facebook family history group. Was very confusing but not sure if anything was resolved. I’ll see if i can find it.

Oh wow, didn't know people searched on facebook for this kind of stuff. Thanks for taking a look because I don't have it myself.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 November 20 15:13 GMT (UK) »
looking now, but there are lots of local family history groups, such as Glamorgan family history society (where i think this started in Swansea). Someone else researching the same family might be a help.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 November 20 15:53 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 Joseph Slee is specifically living on Powell Street, Swansea Glamorganshire. Interestingly that is only an 11 minute drive (4.1 miles) from Pantyfynon, where Ann Evans a Mary Evans are living in 1841.