Author Topic: Lois Scott - East Farndon  (Read 466 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
Lois Scott - East Farndon
« on: Saturday 14 November 20 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to research a Lois Scott.  She was born in East Farndon, Northamptonshire in 1806 according to Census and married William Coltman in Leicester in 1832, before living in Wigston Magna.  Their children were Henry, Alfred, Ann, William, Edwin, Lois and Mary Jane.

I cannot find a baptism for Lois although in 1861 in Wigston Magna she has a niece and nephew living with her - Samuel Watson and Elizabeth Mary Watson.  Earlier census's in Walcote (1841) and Leicester St Martin (1851) reveal that their mother is Elizabeth Scott, born abt 1813,  who married Thomas Watson.  Sadly Elizabeth Watson (nee Scott) died in Leicester in 1853, but is buried in East Farndon.  This therefore suggests that Lois has a sister called Elizabeth Scott.  Elizabeth lists her birth place as what looks like Tissington in Derbyshire in 1851.

Now i have found a baptism for an Elizabeth Scott (listed as aged 13) in East Farndon in 1826, together with sisters Jane and Charlotte to parents Samuel and Mary Scott (no Lois though).  This age does tie in with Elizabeth's census age and death records.  Looking at that Elizabeth's potential parents, Samuel and Mary, there is a marriage between a Samuel and Mary Walden in 1794 in Clipston and then a further marriage between a Samuel Scott (widower) and a Mary Garnett in 1804 in East Farndon - these look to be the same Samuel as the signatures when looking at images online look the same.  The latter pair have numerous children, including a Deborah in 1809, and an Elizabeth in 1815, with listings including the mothers maiden name of Garnett in Market Harborough non-conformist registers. 

When viewing Deborah Scott in 1841, there is an Elizabeth Scott living with her (her sister?).  As i have Elizabeth Scott married to a Thomas Watson in Wigston Magna in 1835 and living in Walcote, Leics in 1841 this would suggest that these are different Elizabeth's and so the potential parents for my Elizabeth (sister of Lois) are not Samuel and Mary Scott (nee Garnett).

Looking at Elizabeth Scott's sisters on the 1826 baptism, Jane and Charlotte - i note that a Jane Scott had an illigitimate child, Alfred Scott, in 1833 in East Farndon - which was also one of Lois's childrens' names.  There is a Jane Scott in the workhouse aged 40 in 1851 (so born abt 1811), which could be that Jane although i cannot see what happened to her after that.  Charlotte Scott, appears to be the one who married William Letts in Clipston and from Census's in Cold Ashby that would put her born abt 1817.

So - can anyone help me work out who Lois's parents are?

Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Regards

TB

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lois Scott - East Farndon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Still struggling with this one.  I see that the marriage for Samuel Scott and Mary Garnett on 10 Feb 1804 in East Farndon was by licence, Samuel being a widower.  Are there any licence details online or available for review to understand more about the circumstances of this marriage?

Thanks

TB

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if Lois was a nickname for Charlotte but if you have separate records for a sister Charlotte can't be the same person  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for trying to assist and for responding.

Yes I have Charlotte as a separate person- married to William Letts and living in Cold Ashby, where she dies in 1870.

This has been a bit of a brick wall for me - the family appear to have been non-conformists to add further to the challenges.

Regards

TB