Author Topic: Diary - Saturday 14th November  (Read 570 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Saturday 14th November
« on: Sunday 15 November 20 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Well looks like I’m up first....
Another month that’s half way through... Christmas now just under 6 weeks away..it’s hard to believe isn’t it...
 this time last year I was knee deep in the Christmas Craft Fayre a friend and I were running on the last Saturday of November in our village hall.. we were very excited about doing it and had got some lovely stalls... no tat ..just nice classy goods ... we were raising money for Northamptonshire Young Carers...we had planned to do one this year too... raising money again for the young Carers .... now what... nothing... our hall lies empty... our crafters are doing??? Who knows and the Carers no money this year... I’m gutted we can’t do it...
 I’m hoping by spring we can hold something for them... I’m keeping my fingers crossed...
Who would have thought how much our lives would change in just this short time...

I woke early this morning and I could tell it was dull outside... it was, wet dark and dreary...
In fact it was so dull I turned on the side lamp in the lounge to cheer the place up and it stayed on all day...
After breakfast we watched the rugby match between Argentina and NZ... we couldn’t believe Argentina were winning, a wonderful game to watch... half way though our daughter FaceTimed us to have a chat and catch-up.... ideas for Christmas for the boys...
Where are they then...
Upstairs in T’s bedroom making a den...
Upstairs she goes with her phone... knocks on the door as T has written a sign that says ‘Children Only’
Well can grandpa & grandma say hello
Ok but we’re playing chess!... they’re still in their pj’s!
Usually they’re off to swimming but that’s not on now... it’s raining so an at home day...
Finally they appear downstairs for a quick chat and T gives us a rendition of what he’s been learning in his guitar lessons.. that’s it... goodbye and off they go!..
We just sit down to watch the rest of the match when the phone goes and it’s some friends we’ve not spoken to for a while...
OH suddenly realises the time and has to dash off to the kitchen for a zoom meeting about the new planning application for the pub...
I have a chat for almost an hour with them... ( I’m still in my dressing gown 😱😱)
We both finish zoom meeting and phone call and watch the end if the match!
By this time it’s nearly 1.30... quickly get dressed and time for lunch!
After lunch watch some of the golf...
go up to my sewing room to finish the Christmas sacks ready for Monday drop off..
Watch the two episodes about Diana whilst sewing...
We have a game of scrabble... throw in the towel after a few goes and restart... I win by nearly 100 points... had some great letters and good scores... now I’m only 1 behind...
Dinner is cooked by OH... usual steak, chips, peas, mushrooms and last of our tomatoes!
Watched tv ... more golf .. I did my knitting...
Sadly we’ve not heard any updates re the vicious dog situation... either the police chap didn’t go, they weren’t in... annoying really.... hope we hear on Monday..
As the weather was so awful today they probably weren’t outside...

Hope others days have been better and weather kinder...
Couldn’t believe watching the news to see people marching in Bristol and Liverpool up in arms because of lock down... I despair... truly I do... what’s the matter with them ...
On that note I’ll say good night! Hope tomorrow is a better day all round. Looking at the forecast probably not... need to start Christmas cards... ebpven more important this year to send good wishes to everyone...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Saturday 14th November
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 November 20 01:04 GMT (UK) »
What a shame about your craft fayre Caroline, yet another of those things that people look forward to that won't be taking place. A spring fayre would be nice, centred around things like daffodils and new born lambs.
I was shocked about the lockdown protesters too, don't they ever think about how people must feel who have loved ones in hospital or even worse, have died. It would seem not.

My day:

Was feeling better as the day wore on today, got my appetite back. Usual walk late morning, fine and a bit breezy. As I was walking through the woods a large flock of Canada geese flew over, honking loudly. A young man who had just passed me stopped to look up, exclaiming Wow! A couple of smaller flocks flew over a bit later.
Enjoyed the walk more than yesterday.

Had some lunch then went online, I was so pleased with the pull on hoodie that I'd bought from Matalan that I decided to order another in a different colour. Also ordered a couple of cushions that took my fancy, only found out when it came to checkout that they will be delivered separately so don't count towards the free delivery. However, I found a discount code online that covered the delivery charge and gave me a pound off the goods.
Yesterday I got another offer of six weeks free access to digital magazines, lots of reading to keep me going as well as all the books I've downloaded. Two bargains in two days.

Yesterday I'd taken delivery of a large pallette for my pan pastels, it's essentially just a plastic tray with recesses to put the individual pans in, it has a lid. I ordered it some time ago, it came from America, the ones available in the UK were the smaller ones. This takes twenty pans, it was quite expensive for what it is but it will be much easier to use the pastels. I slotted them in and made sure I stored it safely, don't want to damage it.

Got round to doing all the ironing, even the tea towels.   :) Watched A Place in the Sun while I was doing it.
Two of the neighbours opposite were out putting up Christmas decorations.

Fish for tea, wanted something simple. Watched an episode of Digging up Britain, they were digging along the perimeter of Auckland castle. I found it entertaining watching them demonstrate how a trebuchet was used, I can just imagine.  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 November 20 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Isn't it wonderful to see the geese flying Roobarb? When we lived in Wales we were on a regular flight path which was a source of joy. Had newts in the garden there as well. What a bargain bonus day you had. High 5 to you.
Caroline, until something is done, you and other villagers must keep active regarding the dogs.
We too needed lights on most of the day. There was a dry spell around lunchtime, but the forecast promised more rain, and sure enough, had we risked it and gone out we would have been drenched. Waited till mid afternoon and managed to get to the end of South beach and back without getting wet. The pond in Youngs Park is looking very full. 5 ships in the Bay, and a Danish dredger anchored well into Goodrington bay.
Good progress with the blanket. Now at 32 cm. I subbed in the other dye lot for the middle section, and I'm happy I can't discern the difference. I'll revert to the original for the last third section to keep it symmetrical just in case.
A red letter day though, because H finally had a dabble water colour painting, which he had enjoyed in his teens. I bought him a set about 12 years ago, and he almost threw them out in a removal, (or 2,) but I persuaded him not to. At last.... hurrah!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 November 20 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Glad you had a better day Roobarb and enjoyed your walk... seeing the geese overhead is something special... when we visited OH’s sister in Brighton we went for a walk along the sea front and were treated to the spectacle of large flock of birds swirling around ...is it called a murmuration? Such a sight...
Glad you got some good bargains online... your palette sounds a great buy too..

MH - yes we will keep active re the dogs... not something that can be just left...
Your progress with the blanket is admirable and it’s quite therapeutic to sit and knit....
great that your hubbie has after all this time decided to get the paints out! Mine sit languishing in a draw.... OH keeps trying to persuade me to take it up again... when though... need more hours in the day!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 November 20 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Woke up later than usual to a miserable day - really dark and murky.   Checked phone and text from my sister inviting me for dinner Sunday.   Will be first time out since this second lockdown started.   Poodled about on computer and saw on FB that my nephews family were having a PJ day and watching a disney movie.  I hadn't yet dressed, was lovely and comfy, and there is no one to see me so decided a PJ day was a good idea.   Can't remember when I last did such a thing.   Had started a jigsaw on Friday so did a bit of that as well as the usual knitting.   Whether it was because I stayed in PJ's all day I don't know but it was a lovely relaxing day all in all.

Had an all day breakfast for dinner which I thoroughly enjoyed and a glass of peach schnapps.   Watched Strictly and seems so different with no audience.   Bill Bailey really doing well - who'd have thought it.

Finished off the day with a little forage on RC and then to bed to read.   Slept like a log.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 November 20 16:08 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Yep, peach schnapps always works l find!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 November 20 20:20 GMT (UK) »
We've had a number of flocks of geese flying over in the last couple of weeks but the one yesterday was certainly the biggest. Caroline, I believe a murmuration refers to starlings, I know geese are in a gaggle but I don't know what the term is for when they're flying in formation like that.

MH, well done to H on taking up watercolor painting again, it's not a medium I favour simply because it's too difficult! Lovely results from those who can pull it off. Come on Caroline, your turn now, I'm sure you can do it!  :)

Annette, great to have a relaxing day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 November 20 23:54 GMT (UK) »
It was a murmaration of starlings... couldn’t think of the birds... I knew it wasn’t geese as they’re big and bulky and couldn’t make tge same graceful movements of smaller birds...
as for painting...😂😂😂when do you think I might have time for that! Nice try... I’ll leave it to you as a far more experienced artist than me!

Annette- I like time just wafting around in my pj’s... good for you!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK