Author Topic: Request for photo/transcription of grave headstone at Old Paddington Cemetery  (Read 2630 times)

Offline sb595

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to visit the Old Paddington Cemetery at Kilburn London, to take a photo &/or the transcription on the grave headstone of my Great Grandparents.
I have tried all the on-line genealogy web sites etc & have been unable to obtain any information on their births. I was hoping that their birth dates may appear on their grave headstones.
Unfortunately, I live in Australia & have no known relatives alive in England that I can contact to help  me.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated
I hope to hear from someone soon

"In Affectionate Remembrance of Thomas Jones ... Who died 18th day of April 1927 ... Aged 70 Years ... Interred at Paddington Cemetery ... In Grave No 12213.S.3.T"
and
"In Affectionate Remembrance of Jessie Mary Jones ... Who died 6th day of November 1930 ... Aged 69 Years ... Interred at Paddington Cemetery ... In Grave No 12569.Sect.3"

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Request for photo/transcription of grave headstone at Old Paddington Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 November 20 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat sb  :D

As you have the full grave details you may be able to request that photo be taken of the headstones.  These are the people that you could try so see if they are willing to help:-

https://www.gravestonephotos.com/comments/inputcomment.php

State what you are looking for.  In the Type of Comment section click on the circle that says Help Request (third one from the left).

In the meantime I have been having a look to see if I can find any information on Thomas and his wife Jessie.  Do you know anything at all about their children?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Request for photo/transcription of grave headstone at Old Paddington Cemetery
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 November 20 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Most likely death registration for Thomas

JONES, THOMAS       70 
GRO Reference: 1927  J Quarter in PADDINGTON  Volume 01A  Page 7

Most likely death registration for Jessie

JONES, JESSIE  MARY     69 
GRO Reference: 1930  D Quarter in PADDINGTON  Volume 01A  Page 7

You may like to consider obtaining Jessie's death certificate to see who the informant was.  A pdf cost £7 from the GRO.  If you wish to do so and require help, do ask.  :D

Further information to follow.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 November 20 14:17 GMT (UK) »
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2203765/paddington-old-cemetery

Welcome to RootsChat.  Have you also tried Find A Grave?  If you try this for a free fulfilment it might help if you give all the info as you have on here - especially the grave reference which might help someone find it..

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 November 20 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Just going by the birth years I found a likely family in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census records.

The 1891 has Thomas and Jessie with four children living at Holt Road, Acton, Wrexham, Denbighshire.

Birth year for Thomas is given as 1854 born Wrexham, Denbighshire occupation painter.
Jessie's birth year is 1862 born in Birmingham.

Registration District is Wrexham
Piece No. is 4614
Folio No. is 15
Page No. is 7

The 1901 has them living at 2 Adpar Street, Paddington, London, Middlesex

Thomas is again a painter/decorator, birth year 1855 and place of birth given as Wales!
Jessie born 1862 Birmingham

They now have eight children with them

Registration District is Paddington
Piece No. is 1
Folio No. is 116
Page No. is 5

In the 1911 they are living at 68 Clarendon Street, Paddington, London

Thomas birth year is 1856 and occupation House Painter. Place of birth has become Wrotham, Derbyshire!

Jessie birth year is 1863 born in Birmingham so she is consistent with her place of birth.

Five children with them.  The original image reveals that they had 11 children born, eight still living and three died.

I found most of the birth registrations for the children which suggests that mother's maiden name was HORTON.  However when trying to find a Jones/Horton marriage nothing appears.

May mean that they didn't marry, or got missed off the GRO or mis transcribed, or Thomas may have already been married.  The children's births are all over the place so difficult to be sure where they married, if they did.

Or Jessie was originally Mary and decided to add Jessie later.  There is a possible marriage for a Mary Horton to a Thomas Jones in the SQ 1870 Dudley.

A possible birth as Mary

HORTON, MARY       MILLS 
GRO Reference: 1862  M Quarter in BIRMINGHAM  Volume 06D  Page 47

Something for you to mull over for the moment.  I may be barking up the wrong tree altogether as you did not mention any names for their children.  :D

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 November 20 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Good sleuthing GG.

There is a possible marriage for a Mary Horton to a Thomas Jones in the SQ 1870 Dudley.
Not possible if Jessie Mary/Mary was born in 1862.

ADDED: Possible sighting of Jessie in 1881 Altrincham RG11; 3510; 76; 23
Ralph J. Bradbury   37
Eliza H. Bradbury   34
Mary Lomax   39
Sabina Brazier   22
Mary J. Horton   19 b Birmingham servant
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 November 20 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes you're quite right Josey, I didn't have my maths cap on properly did I  ::)

Offline sb595

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 November 20 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you every one for your comments, I will look into Find A Grave and Gravestone Photos sites.