Author Topic: Cemetary Lair  (Read 450 times)

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cemetary Lair
« on: Sunday 15 November 20 08:19 GMT (UK) »
My GParents were buried in St Kintegerns in Glasgow.I find it not possible to visit the grave due to distance etc. I Sister visited the cemetary and due to time constraints was not able to find the grave.
Is there anyone in that area who offers a service of visiting graves for photos. Or is there a caretaker in the cemetary who can guide me to the grave should I ever be fortunate to visit. an
I know that many many gravestones have been removed.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetary Lair
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 February 21 17:47 GMT (UK) »
In the past, if you had a Section and lair number it was possible to contact the cemetery office, which is located in the Western Necropolis cemetery.   Several year ago I did that and arranged a date and time and someone took me to the location of the lair.  Sadly there was no stone.   However, I am sure I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that they had stopped providing that service.   

Do you have the Section  and Lair number ?
You can sometimes locate a lair or at least the approx. location using the map https://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Documents/St%20Kentigerns%20Cemetery%20Plan.pdf .    If you find the section, and have a close look at some headstones down near their base or on the sides.  You sometimes find the lair reference number is inscribed.   They are usually in sequence, tho not always, so you can narrow down the location within the section.   Even if no stone exists, you can get a reasonable fix on where the lair is.   

Andrew