Author Topic: The baptism of Thomas Zebulon Newington Latter  (Read 583 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The baptism of Thomas Zebulon Newington Latter
« on: Sunday 15 November 20 15:00 GMT (UK) »
The Will of Zebulon NEWINGTON declared at Mayfield 24 Feb 1810 in part stated "... part of the yearly proceed of the said Trust principal Money shall be applied towards the Maintenance bringing up cloathing and educating (at the discretion  of my aforesaid Trustees) my natural Son Thomas Zebulon Newington Latter during his Minority and the Remainder of such yearly Proceed of the said Trust principal Monies shall be paid (as the same shall arise and be received into the proper hands of my Housekeeper Mary Latter)...."

Also the The Keep at ESRO at https://www.thekeep.info/collections/getrecord/GB179_PAR422_34_3_57 have a file "Title: Bastardy bond binding Zebulon Newington, Mayfield, yeoman" in which the date is 13 Apr 1804 and Description is "Bound in £100 for the support of his acknowledged son by Mary Latter, singlewoman".

There is a marriage between Zebulon NEWINGTON of Newenden, Kent and Mary LATTER 29 Jun 1792 at Burwash.  In the original image at FamilySearch is noted that Mary LATTER of Burwash was a widow and the marriage was by Licence.  image https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-68BS-DNM

To make matters more 'interesting' Zebulon requested a burial at Newenden, Kent - a related post at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=840327.new#new

Also buried at Newenden is a Mary NEWINGTON on 9 Feb 1798. Edit - Is this Mary actually Mary LATTER nee EASDEN?

The questions for me include:

When and where was Zebulon's natural Son Thomas Zebulon Newington Latter ... baptised?

Is Mary LATTER Zebulon's acknowledged Wife the mother of Zebulon's natural Son Thomas Zebulon Newington Latter or was there a Housekeeper also named Mary LATTER the mother of Zebulon's natural son or was the Housekeeper NOT the mother of Zebulon's son?  This third option is possible given Zebulon DOES NOT STATE in his Will that this Mary LATTER is the birth mother of his son. 

However the Keep's record as previously mentioned links Mary LATTER singlewoman to Zebulon.; ::) ::) ::)

The full Will image is at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6XGZ-9Y

I feel like I am going round in circles so thought to reach out for some clear headedness.

Westy

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The baptism of Thomas Zebulon Newington Latter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 November 20 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westy....

Thomas Zebulon Latter mother Mary baptised 20 June 1804 at Rotherfield Sussex.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 November 20 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Tassie, :)

Westy

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 November 20 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi.... Just a thought on the two Mary Latters.

Zebulon marries Mary Latter in 1792 does she bring with her a relative of the same name? It is possible, my 5X great uncle lost his wife and her cousin of the same name moved in. They never married but had 4 children. The only clue was from a census with a different birth place. We the found the first Sarah's burial.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 November 20 15:39 GMT (UK) »
It or another similar scenario are possible and the surname may simply be acting as something to confuse the matter.

I have just looked to determine if the Mary LATTER who married at Burwash was a widow and it seems possible.

It seems the Burwash Mary LATTER may have been Mary EASDEN who was the second wife of Edward LATTER and married 4 Apr 1782.  Edmund was buried at Burwash 2 Feb 1790 which 'fits' with Zabulon & Mary LATTER's marriage 29 Jun 1792.

I know this is conjecture.

Westy