Author Topic: Christian Chalmers m William Finnie  (Read 1605 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Chalmers m William Finnie
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moo

I don't want to make my posts and comments come across as if I want you to change your mind  ;) Only, as more info is added, we all sometimes need to re-evaluate where we were at!

With only a couple of censuses for her (and 1841 can add so little most of the time), that is all really we have to work with. If you agree that the 1839 marriag entry in Edinburgh to William Finnie is the correct one, then it looks like she was born c. 1800 in Dalmeny, West Lothian and her father Robert, a farm servant, was deceased at the time she married. Those are really the only hard facts you have on her. You mention also that you have an OPR death or burial entry for her?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 19:27 GMT (UK) »
What are the names of the parents of the siblings whose deaths you have found?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monical

I love putting my theories to the test with everyone on this board, like you say it helps sort things out, when I downloaded the Uphall marriage 1839 I was sure that this Christian was mine who married William Finnie, until it was suggested I check the St Cuthberts entry, which I did and its on checking that one I find it states that Robert Chalmers was a farmer and deceased at time of Marriage. However I have found a possible death for Robert Chalmers in 1851 Uphall and when I downloaded it, I also read a death of Christian Chalmers or Finnie a couple of days later. Sorry for all the confusion, it doesn't help when William Finnie appears to have taken a second Wife also called Christian. I also have an 1841 entry for Rob Chalmers - Occupation Toll Keeper, and like I said 3 of his children had him listed as a Toll Keeper.

Confused ... I am ;D

I would love her to be mine but I will accept that she probably is not, unless I can find another death entry for Robert which could change my mind again.

Regards
Moo

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »
What are the names of the parents of the siblings whose deaths you have found?

I have found
John  26 jul 1784 Ratho
John  10 nov 1786 Ratho
Christian 22 Apr 1789 Currie
Jannet 01 Apr 1792 Currie
Robert 18 oct 1794 Currie
Thomas 18 oct 1799 Bathgate
George 05 jun 1902 Currie
Jean 05 jun 1902
Parents Robert Chalmers and Janet Bartholomew

Regards
Moo

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean this death for a Robert Chalmers?

ROBERT CHALMERS
20/05/1851
672/30 257
Uphall or Strathbrock

If so, he looks to be too young at death to be the father of children you list above. Born c. 1787?

Some family researcher have linked the death below to the Robert Chalmers married to Christian Black:

ROBT CHALMERS
00/03/1832
662/40 461
Bathgate

Not sure why they have really as his gravestone shows his wife to have been a Margaret Taylor, www.findagrave.com/memorial/132839429/robert-chalmers

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Monical

Yes it is, but my lot seem to knock years off when they feel like it, again he might not be mine.
Christian Black is not one of mine, well not that I'm aware off.

Regards
Moo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 21:17 GMT (UK) »
So what you are really interested in is what happened to Christian Chalmers, born 1789 in Currie, parents Robert Chalmers and Janet Bartholomew?

I am willing to be that she is not the Christian Chalmers who married William Finnie. There are five pieces of evidence suggesting this.

1. Currie is in Midlothian, and Christian Chalmers or Finnie consistently says she was born in West Lothian, and in 1851 she also says Dalmeny.

2. Assuming she lived that long, Christian Chalmers born in 1789 was 52 on the date of the 1841 census and should have been recorded as 50, not 35.

3. Similarly, on the day of the 1851 census she would have been 62, not 50.

4. Christian Chalmers or Finnie's father was a farm servant. Janet Bartholomew's husband was a tollkeeper.

I see Robert Chalmers, aged 75, in Howatson Toll House, Mid Calder, in 1841. If his age is accurate, he would have been born between 8 June 1761 and 7 June 1766 Therefore on the date of baptism of the first recorded child of Robert Chalmers and Janet Bartholomew on 27 July 1784 he was aged between 18 and 23. So he could indeed be 'your' Robert Chalmers. In which case

5. Christian Chalmers or Finnie's father died before 1839; the husband of Janet Bartholomew lived until at least 1841.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 November 20 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian

I did say after reading the St Cuthberts Marriage entry that I didn't think she was mine. I appreciate your being able to help confirm this.

Regards
Moo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 November 20 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Glad to have helped.

We do seem to have been beating about the bush a bit before reaching a conclusion.

I looked to see if there was a Christ* aged about 62, born Currie, in the 1851 census on FreeCEN. There are two in Midlothian, but one is an unmarried Christina Young, and the other is Christian Napier, wife of Edward Fleming.

Searching FreeCEN for a Christ* born 1789 plus or minus 5 years in Midlothian produces 159 results, which is rather more than I can face ploughing through, but depending on how keen you are you could do the same.