Author Topic: Christian Chalmers m William Finnie  (Read 1585 times)

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Chalmers m William Finnie
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 November 20 20:02 GMT (UK) »
 :( No recorded births

Regards
Moo

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 November 20 20:20 GMT (UK) »
1851 census shows William Finnie 44 b Uphall blacksmith. Wife Christian 50 b Dalmeny, W Lothian.

1861 shows William Finnie 53 b Uphall blacksmith Wife Christian 45 b Rockford Moray.

Difference in age and place of birth suggests a different Christina (Christian)

Death for a Christina McKenzie - Finnie in Forres, Moray 1896 age 80 which matches with the age in the 1861 census.

William

Added Libindx has a death For Christina Finnie ( McKenzie) 20 Aug 1896 at 1 North Street, Forres d.o.b c 1816. States spouse was William Finnie blacksmith.

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 November 20 20:34 GMT (UK) »
1861 shows William Finnie 53 b Uphall blacksmith Wife Christian 45 b Rockford Moray.
No such place - if it's really in Moray this is almost certainly a mistranscription of Rafford, which the the next-door parish to Forres.

The birthplace of the Christina Finnie in Uphall in 1841 is West Lothian.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 November 20 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I was going to add a further post saying that Christina Finney is living in Forres with her sisters in the 1871, 1881 and 1891 and that her place of birth indeed looks like Rafford. In 1871 and 1881 she is recorded as a provision dealer.

William.

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 November 20 20:58 GMT (UK) »
It does look as if it's one William Finnie with two wives, both called Christian/Christina.

Have you looked at all four marriage records? Or at least one of the 1853 ones? The St Cuthbert's ones might be more informative than the Uphall ones.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Forfarian

I looked at the 1853 Uphall Marriage for William and Christian Mckenzie

Regards
Moo

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moo

The 1839 Edinburgh parish register entry for the marriage/banns shows Christian Chalmers' father to be called Robert www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY9G-F5T The original image might include an occupation for him or location. Edinburgh registers are better than most for some details.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning MonicaL

I downloaded the St Cuthberts marriage it did give a occupation of the father - a farm servant, trouble is, it stated daughter of the late Robert Chalmers. I am beginning to wonder if this my Christian as all the other information I have on Robert states he was a Toll Keeper and I believe I found him in the 1841 Census and have a possible death for him in 1851.

Regards
Moo

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Could he perhaps have taken on being a tollkeeper when he got older, after Christian's marriage, and maybe wasn't as fit for labouring work?

My own great-great-grandfather was an agricultural labourer in 1841, a lime burner in 1851 and a tollkeeper in 1861.