Author Topic: Cornwall / Ellen Angove  (Read 492 times)

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cornwall / Ellen Angove
« on: Sunday 15 November 20 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to establish the parents of Ellen Angove who was born in Illogan, Cornwall around 1850. On her marriage certificate in 1875 she is stated as 21, and correspondingly is stated as 25 in the 1881 census. Naturally this suggests she was born around 1855/6, but there is no corresponding birth entry for around these years even with some leniency. Rather, there is an Ellen Angove born Q'2 1849, to a mother with the maiden name Allen. On Ellen's marriage certificate her father is stated as an Abel Angove, and I have found an Abel Angove marrying a Catherine Allen and so this would all seem to match up - if it wasn't for the age discrepancy. I know it's only a few years out but I still thought it was strange to be the same wrong age repeatedly. Could it be she pretended to be 21 when she married so as to not need to obtain parental consent, and then continued this false age for the enumerator in the 1881 Census?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Sloggetts of St. Teath/St. Minver; Sloggetts of Australia; Sloggetts of America; Winns of Mabe/Helston; Winns of America; Rowes of St. Blazey/Par; Angoves of Illogan; Tregarthens of the Scilly Isles; Billings of St. Breward; Martins of St. Gluvias; Haydons of Dartmouth; Brownsons of Stoke Fleming; Boyens of Poplar/West Ham/Surrey; Boyens of New Zealand; Boyens of Australia; Emblens of Hampshire/Sussex/London; Wrights of London; Greens of Preston; Hemphills and McKerrachers of Scotland.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cornwall / Ellen Angove
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 November 20 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevellian and a warm welcome to Rootschat

this is from Rootspoint - 1861 census - all born Illogan ,Cornwall and Catherines mother is with them
Broad Lane
Klogan, Cornwall
Household Members:    
Abel Angove (60, Male)
Catherine Angove (48, Female)
Mary Ann Angove (20, Female)
William Angove (17, Male)
John Allen Angove (15, Male)
Ellen Angove (11, Female)
Catherine Allen (75, Female
So - I think you must be right in saying a little white lie on the marriage details - she would have been 25 when she married - not under 21 as you suggest - she may have been one of those ladies who "knocked off " a few years of her age  :)
other members thoughts appreciated please ???

this looks to be Abel Angoves parents marrying in 1796 ( wife Elizabeth Uren - a nice easy surname to trace back )
https://gw.geneanet.org/snowmedic?n=angove&oc=&p=abel
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 November 20 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
It was not uncommon for a woman or sometimes even a man to take a few years off their age to be closer to their spouse's age.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 November 20 14:01 GMT (UK) »
this looks to be Abel Angoves parents marrying in 1796 ( wife Elizabeth Uren - a nice easy surname to trace back )
https://gw.geneanet.org/snowmedic?n=angove&oc=&p=abel

And a warm welcome to Rootschat from me.

A tip: be prepared for spelling variants - I have seen Uren written as Youren in parish registers.
The Cornwall Online Parish Clerk website https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/ is a good starting point.
FamilySearch https://www.familysearch.org/en/ has images of many Cornwall parish registers.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 20 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :D

Nothing new in a woman knocking years off her age.  ::)  I have an instance of that where a great grandmother knocked ten years off her age so that she appeared a similar age to her husband.

It can cause confusion, but if you have the marriage certificate you can use the father's name to check on census records to see what age she is pre marriage.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 November 20 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your advice. It definitely seems possible Ellen 'knocked a few years off' her age to be 21 on the marriage certificate. It is still a bit puzzling however, as the groom, William Billing Sloggett, is 25 and so it makes me wonder why Ellen would have brought her age down when it had been equal (or very near) to her husband? I could understand the logic if it had been the other way around to bring her up to the same age, but I don't see the logic to what seems to be the case here. It is almost certain this is the 'right' Ellen Angove though, born c. 1850 to Abel Angove and Catherine Allen.
The Sloggetts of St. Teath/St. Minver; Sloggetts of Australia; Sloggetts of America; Winns of Mabe/Helston; Winns of America; Rowes of St. Blazey/Par; Angoves of Illogan; Tregarthens of the Scilly Isles; Billings of St. Breward; Martins of St. Gluvias; Haydons of Dartmouth; Brownsons of Stoke Fleming; Boyens of Poplar/West Ham/Surrey; Boyens of New Zealand; Boyens of Australia; Emblens of Hampshire/Sussex/London; Wrights of London; Greens of Preston; Hemphills and McKerrachers of Scotland.