Author Topic: Passengers for the Alcantara - May 1951  (Read 1264 times)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Passengers for the Alcantara - May 1951
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 November 20 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Late try from me... without extra child. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 November 20 12:51 GMT (UK) »
That's pretty good, Peter. I thought you were away visiting your new grandson!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 November 20 13:27 GMT (UK) »
dear BrazilianBombshell, thanks for the reposted pic, I've searched using all the tools in paint.net and I'm seeing 3 different faces of different proportions, it's like looking at clouds but in my case they won't stop moving.  I'm going to lie down now.  Here's some examples of one in particular and I hope others will see more details than I can.   If your scanner supports a file format other than jpeg, such as bmp, tiff or png, then more details will be captured for us to attempt enhancement and separation.
Can you also give more information on the age, sex and size of the mystery child ?
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 November 20 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Gadget. Still visiting, but you get a few minutes here and there. ;)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline BrazilianBombshell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 November 20 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Peter and Ian.  To answer your questions, Ian, the child is a 4 year old boy, picture attached.  I've tried tiff but would not upload.
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset
Dickinson - Leicester & Dorset

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 November 20 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again for your magnificent work.  I can see a "shape" which could be Richard, a 4 yo boy.  I've tried uploading tiff but no luck.  Have done a pdf which is acceptable. 
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 November 20 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I don't think Ian knew before he told you, but Rootschat doesn't support tiff files. The pdf files aren't really suitable for restoration. It is best to use a top quality jpg file - scan at 300- 600 dpi and save with no jpg compression. You can upload a file up to 500 kb. Otherwise you could use Dropbox or similar.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 November 20 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for you reply Gadget.  This is really helpful.  I'll look at it again.   ;)
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 November 20 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Here goes with another colour version with my guess as to what the whole group would have looked like.  Turn the Hue down if it's too bright but if you are going to print it out you should try it first as it is and use photo glossy card or paper if possible.  Hope it helps, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.