Author Topic: Flight Lieutenant Francis John Barrett 213 SQUADRON NO 151845  (Read 274 times)

Offline Leith Lass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Flight Lieutenant Francis John Barrett 213 SQUADRON NO 151845
« on: Monday 16 November 20 12:38 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on my husband's uncle Francis John Barrett aged 22 who was shot down by Satnik Ljudevit Bencetric [A Croation Ace] on 23 April 1945 over Turopolge a few weeks before the end of the war. I have read two accounts of this day one in the [1] Croation Aces of World War II and [2] Aircraft of the Aces - Legends of the Skies. [1] states that he was short down and forced to crash land  where friendly partisans saved him from capture [2] states that he crashed fatally in the in the Turopolje area. His and one other were said to be the final aerial kills credited to Croation Pilots in World War II.
F J Barrett's name is on the Pieta Monument and whilst I believe that he did die that day the first statement makes me wonder whether he was rescued.
Can anyone please tell me which RAF department I should contact for such information or if anyone can through light on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Online MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FLIGHT LIEUTENANT FRANCIS JOHN BARRETT 213 SQUADRON NO. 151845
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 November 20 14:55 GMT (UK) »
I would doubt that there is any more information held today than that contained in his squadron operations record book
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8393808 which simply reports him as missing after the sortie.  The ORB cites a combat report at an appendix but I don't see one.  There does not seem to be a combat report at the National Archives.

MaxD

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Leith Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Lieutenant Francis John Barrett 213 SQUADRON NO 151845
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 November 20 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information. It is a shame that the combat report was not attached as this might have given a bit more information. I wonder if they ever looked for him or found evidence of the crash. It is very strange that one of the books did state that partisans rescued him but I understand that this may be a false account.

Are you aware of any further steps I could take i.e. would there be a contact for the RAF through which I could ask some questions or ask for the combat report.

Once again thank you very much for this most interesting piece of history.

Offline Leith Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 November 20 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Digital item
Title: Squadron Number: 213 Appendices: Y
Item number: 3379809
Catalogue reference: AIR 27/1318

I found this but the records are blanked between 20th April and 20th May so unable to look at the date I want of 23 April??

Online MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 20 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Download part 3 (images 399-595) and then look at image 172 of 197 - that is the combat report for the sortie in question which again simply reports Barrett hit by flak and missing.

As the ORB and the combat report are to hand, I can't think where the present day RAF would go for additional information  Others may have a suggestion or two.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Leith Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 November 20 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again. This has provided me with additional narrative which I can add to Francis Barretts timeline on our family tree. Much appreciated.
Regrds
Lorna

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 November 20 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Fill in the form and send off with the fee to the RAFAHB at Northolt and request information from his casualty form.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-information-held-on-the-raf-casualty-files

Note this is not his service record. This can be obtained from Disclosures at Cranwell.

The casualty file is the batch being released to AIR81 at The National Archives but 1945 release is some time off.

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Online MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 November 20 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ross for that pointer to AIR 81 which will no doubt be of use to many more people.  My own lack of knowledge of RAF matters could have led the enquirer to another dead end, you have opened an avenue I wasn't aware of so my thanks to you for sharing your specific expertise.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Leith Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 November 20 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ross. I will definitely go down this route. Also thanks again to Max the information I now have will prove very useful. Thank you. Lorna