Author Topic: Diary - Monday 16th November  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Monday 16th November
« on: Tuesday 17 November 20 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Looks like I’m in the  driving seat for Monday.... unless Roobarb gets in before me and we’ve got to double up!

It had rained in the night and the weather was dull.... we were having oil delivered today ( for heating - no gas in the village) and we’d been told it could be from 7.30 am ... it’s the middle of the night then and dark!...I heard OH get up about 8am but I stayed snuggled up for a while longer...
After breakfast I finished off the few face coverings I’d got left to deliver them and the 8 🌈 tops and 24 Christmas sacks... I counted up and to date I’ve made 1100 face coverings and about 60-70 tunics and trousers....
Drove to local small town to meet Sammy... did a swap... she got the finished goods and I got more 🌈 fabric! Said I was having a weeks break as needed to crack in with Christmas cards...
When I returned the oil man was here delivering our oil...
Did some paperwork and finished using the computer to leave it for OH to sort out latest planning application re the pub... talk to the planning office and write some letters...
Got some washing out... it’s supposed to be mild but the breeze definitely had a nip to it... stripped one if the beds and had general clear up...
Had lunch watched the news... see poor old Boris having to isolate again... be interesting to see how he gets on... hope he’s not doing a Trump and having week to sort himself out so not appearing in parliament for questioning!..... sure that’s not the case...
Tidied up my work room put sewing stuff away and got my boxes of Christmas stuff out... I bought a stand for my glue gun so that’s going to be a lot easier to use... had look through Pinterest ideas I’d saved and some if my magazines... it always takes me a while to get into it but by late afternoon I’d got some ideas and made a start...
We had casserole from out of the freezer... with broccoli and carrots, mash and I’d got a couple of cobblers from the freezer...
Watched tv... university challenge... got quite a few answers between us... nice to see Warwick beat Merton college... our son applied to the former to study physics,... ended up going to Surrey instead...
Nearly finished another blanket ....
A busy day which was nice makes time go more quickly... not that I’m wishing my life away... just wishing it was next year and we’d all been vaccinated....
Hope others days have been filled...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Monday 16th November
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, you are to be commended for all the work you have done making so many face coverings and other items.

I’m very interested to know what happens to your old thatched pub - please keep us updated. Whatever happens, I hope it is repaired, used appropriately and loved. Buildings shouldn’t be left empty. Old buildings are a bit of a passion of mine - do you know much about it’s history?

Nothing of interest to report for my Monday - there is a new covid cluster in Adelaide which originated from a cleaner of one of the quarantine hotels. Obviously either uninformed about the necessary precautions, or ignored them, or possibly not enough precautions in place. No doubt there will be an enquiry. That has spread to 15 cases related to that family as well as five others. Restrictions on travellers from SA are in place. It seems that good early contact tracing, limiting travel and quarantining seems to be the key to keeping these outbreaks under control. :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 09:10 GMT (UK) »
That's a worry you have a Covid outbreak in Adelaide, but it does seem the track, trace and isolate works in Oz, where it certainly does not in England.
Apparently there are  around 100 cases in Brixham, which is a comparatively small place, and one that you can not drive through: there is only one road access.
But after the start of this latest lockdown a film crew was allowed to go there and do some filming, for a new TV series I believe.
Unsurprisingly the locals were furious, because where did everyone sleep, and eat??
Now Brixham has the highest number of Covid cases in Devon!

Fantastic work with the sewing Caroline, enjoy the break.
I feel the ancient pub building in Caroline's village is going to have to be used for a different purpose if it is to survive. I know of one church in Cardiff which has become an art supplies store, and other churches which have become solicitors offices, eating houses and antiques emporiums.  Let's hope something can be approved before the building has to be demolished.

My fairy lights only lasted 20 minutes yesterday evening as it had been grey and wet most of the day, though we did manage one brisk walk in a brief dry spell. (5 cruise ships + 2 others in the Bay.)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 09:37 GMT (UK) »
I got sidetracked last night then when I tried to post my tablet wouldn't have it for some reason. So here I am bringing up the rear!

Caroline, I continue to be astounded at the sheer volume of sewing you have turned out, you're like a one woman factory. And Christmas cards now, you're amazing!

Ruskie, I'd read in the news about the outbreak in Adelaide, good to know that these outbreaks are kept under control.

MH, I wasn't aware of the number of cases in Brixham, that's a worrying number for such a small place.  I have a friend who lives there, I'd always thought it was a relatively safe place for her. I suppose nowhere is safe from people behaving irresponsibly.

My day:

A bright and sunny morning to wake up to. Was planning on going for my walk a bit earlier but I got a message to say that the parcel I was expecting tomorrow would be delivered today. As it was coming by courier van there was no precise tracking available. I was keen to get the parcel, it was a motion sensor outside light that I wanted for outside the back door. My intention was to put it up myself although unsure if I'd actually be able to achieve that. While I was waiting I did some jobs around the, sorted out some paperwork, more cleaning.

Bad news today, NN was back,  :o  I'd hoped she was staying away for the whole lockdown, it's been great not having her sticking her nose in everything.

Had some of my homemade soup for lunch, very filling but tasty if I do say so myself. The parcel arrived shortly after. I'd decided by then that I'd put it up tomorrow as it was windy and cold again today. Soon realised my mistake, I needed very large batteries for it and I didn't have them. Tesco order is due on Wednesday so will add them to that, I'll still be able to put the base of the light up.

Out for a walk after 2pm, by now it was really cloudy, the sun had disappeared for the day. Came home and sorted through some more paperwork and some old photos, nice to look back on. Baked some cod for tea with some other stuff. Watched the second Robert Rinder programme, very emotional at the end but as his mother said, the story needs to be told.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Shielded folks in Scotland getting a Winters supply of vitamin D as they get even less sunshine than the rest of us! ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I watched the Robert Rinder programme too. Harrowing.
Roobarb have you thought about buying re-chargeable batteries? A greater initial outlay, but cheaper in the long run.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I can't say I'd thought of that MH, the batteries are reckoned to last about a year in this product as it's motion triggered so not a big turnover but it's certainly worth thinking about for other items. Could be my next parcel! I do send my used batteries for recycling.

*Amended - had addresses the above comment to the wrong person!  :-[

Good news for the Scots Skoosh!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 12:23 GMT (UK) »
It is sad in a way that churches are re-used.
However the Church my OH’s family attended is now the rehearsal venue for The Halle Orchestra.Somewhat modified but still St.Peter’s with St James the Less.
On the other hand many beautiful details are lost in demolition ,as example the church my mother’s family attended was a most beautiful Italianate building with exquisite S’graffito on the walls.
Plaster carved in bas relief when still wet, thus exposing  the different coloured plaster that had been applied prior .
The last time I was there was my Mum’s funeral,1957.
In the area over The altar hung a red glass Sanctuary lamp ,always burning
and an endowment for oil to make sure it always burned in my Grandmother’smemory.On a chain device it could be lowered and raised.
There from 1932.
I was  abroad when the church was demolished in the sixties., and no one to claim the lamp .
Well must set about a Birthday card for my lovely daughter .
She was the survivor of a set of non identical twins ,one lost in the first trimester of the pregnancy.
I thought I had suffered a miscarriage ,which I had ,but the Dr. did tests (no scans etc in 1967) and I was still pregnant and so nauseous !Phew.
It is amazing another baby can survive that.
I do go off topic don’t I !
Lovely neighbour’s daughter called to say they are renewing  the fence between our front gardens .Only three long panels of waneylap.
Never entirely sure re the ownership rules ,I thought ,as you look at thr front of your home the fence to your right is yours, the one to the left is your neighbour’s but you maintain your side as far as paint or preservatives go.
I am open to correction .
I hope I don’t own the very long one between us at the back as the posts have all gone crooked,leaning over at impossible angles ,to get them upright
would involve all next doors ‘ paving being lifted and new post holes etc.dug.
I had a lightweight fence of willow panels placed to hide the monstrosity as my gardener could see how much work there would be and the main problem
was I could not get my neighbour’s daughter to discuss it ,neighbour is too old and it could be seen that I was taking advantage of her good nature.
So the fence was left absolutely alone .No damage done and nothing that can not very easily be reversed.
I am wondering if  the lady’s increasing frailty and daughter going to work from home ,not going back to  the office etc. Means she will live with them so the house will be sold.
Other than the fence all is in excellent order ,will sell very quickly .
Oh dear, hope that does  not mean noisy teenagers,!

Another dull day ,but not raining at the moment..
Up late but to bed later than I meant to be.
I am turning night into day, or vice versa.
Well this is not getting the baby a new bonnet!
Thanks for all your news.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, you are to be commended for all the work you have done making so many face coverings and other items.

I’m very interested to know what happens to your old thatched pub - please keep us updated. Whatever happens, I hope it is repaired, used appropriately and loved. Buildings shouldn’t be left empty. Old buildings are a bit of a passion of mine - do you know much about it’s history?

Thank you for the interest in our pub ...We have a village book and it says about the pub as follows:-
Grade II listed built largely in cob with timber frame and Reed plaster with a thatched roof. The oldest part of the main frontage dates from mid 17th C whereas the section to the right in mellow brick with old plain tile roof would be late 18th C or early 19thC or possibly a rebuilding of an earlier structure.
The windows are diverse in style, the first floor are ‘eyebrow’ dormer in the thick thatch, others are casement with glazing bars.
The stables at the rear are built in Hargrave brick with old Dutch or Belgian pan tiles.
Inside the deeply recessed ingkenook fireplace with its faggot oven is consistent with the 17th C.
The beer cellar reached via a short flight of stone stairs dates from 1800.
First Licensees identified from 1824.
The current owner built a large thatched barn to the side and we’re hoping this could be used as shop/ coffee stop or what ever for villagers to use...

We live in hope!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK