Author Topic: J. Woolfe, Portsea  (Read 440 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
J. Woolfe, Portsea
« on: Tuesday 17 November 20 09:52 GMT (UK) »
This is to pick up on enquiries made in 2017 (illness prevented any immediate follow-up).  The enquiries concern a J. Woolf, described in newspaper references as a 'vocalist' - indeed, as a comic vocalist.

Rootschat members kindly supplied me with several references but the crucial ones still elude me...When was JW born and where?  I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to pin the man down.  He was certainly active between 1812 and 1820 and was the author (and singer) of a piece entitled Rimes'-alley, printed by Oxlade in Portsea as a broadside ballad.

The newspaper references (as above) give plenty of detail for the period 1830-1840 during which period, more than once, he is described as a 'veteran' vocalist.

All this might suggest a birth somewhere around 1780.  I'm currently pursuing a Rootschat line via the death of his mother in 1837.

I'd be grateful for any information and tips for searching.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: J. Woolfe, Portsea
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Later newspaper reports mention Joseph Woolfe, veteran vocalist.  Presumably this is your man.

You will know from the newspaper report of his mother's death in May 1837 that she was the widow of Benjamin Woolfe of Portsea. She died near Gosport and there is a burial of Mary Woolfe at Gosport around that time.

Benjamin Woolfe of Portsea left a lengthy PCC will proved in 1799 in which he makes bequests to Mary Bullock and a number of her children including a Joseph who is known as Joseph Woolfe.

Portsmouth Synagogue records compiled by Henry Roche include a Benjamin Woolfe whose wife was a Mary Bullock. https://synagoguescribes.com/blog/portsmouth-records-by-henry-roche/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: J. Woolfe, Portsea
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Shaun - brilliant stuff.  Many thanks.
roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.