Author Topic: Visitations of Devon  (Read 433 times)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Visitations of Devon
« on: Tuesday 17 November 20 10:25 GMT (UK) »
My father did a lot of work on his family tree --but as he was in the early stages of dementia, he made a lot of mistakes and assumptions -- so I am trying to check his work.

He took a lot of information from Vivian's Visitations of Devon.
How accurate is this information likely to be? Can I assume it is correct even tho I cannot corroborate it from Parish registers?

For example, according to the VoD, Joseph Coplestone of Woodlands had 4 children born between 1703 & 1713. But I can only find baptisms for two of them, nor can I find the marriage & husband given for one of them. So which do I believe? VoD or the PRs?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Visitations of Devon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Quoting from Medieval Genealogy.com:

At first sight, the heralds' visitations are an ideal source of information for the medieval genealogist. The visitations produced a collection of pedigrees of families with the right to bear arms, recorded between the early 16th and the late 17th century, but in many cases extending much further back. Though they are indeed a valuable source, they must be used with great care, and confirmed from contemporary records wherever possible.

This may sound too good to be true and sadly, in many cases, it is not true. While some of the heralds were pioneers in the systematic application of record evidence to genealogy, others were far less skilful and far less scrupulous. Oral information from the family, if unsupported by documentary evidence, can clearly be relied on safely for only one or two generations (or even less than this, to judge from some examples). Even where records were used, their evidence could sometimes be misinterpreted, and in only a few cases do the heralds present the evidence alongside the finished pedigree so that their deductions can be checked.

But worse than this, in an age where a distinguished descent was very desirable, the heralds seem often to have been willing to copy - or even to compile - long and impressive pedigrees which bore little relation to the truth. To make matters worse, later copies of visitation pedigrees often contain additions and continuations - these have sometimes found their way into print, because older editions were often based on copies rather than the original visitation books.

See: http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/guide/vis.shtml
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you

I will treat the information as "probable" and continue to try to find confirmation of as much as possible
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 00:22 GMT (UK) »
The visitations are a good finding tool, but should be treated with a degree of caution. From my own experience, the "latest" few generations can usually be regarded as accurate, but the earlier "origins" of some families are somewhat fanciful.
Similarly with editions of Burke's before LG Pine took over as editor.
And no, he's not a rellie I can claim, lol.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.