Author Topic: Hugh Heron  (Read 416 times)

Offline Jersey 651

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Heron
« on: Tuesday 17 November 20 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody have Hugh Heron m Rose or Roseanne Berry in Ballynahinch in 1848 in their tree?
I have this couple and their children in my tree. They settled in Scotland c1859. I cannot seem to get back any further Their marriage entry shows both fathers deceased at the time of their marriage so I have no clues to work from.

I think that Roses parents could be John and Sarah but I have nothing to confirm that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Heron
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 November 20 02:04 GMT (UK) »

I think that Roses parents could be John and Sarah but I have nothing to confirm that.

Sarah Berry was listed as mother-in-law in the Falkirk household of Hugh Herron in the 1861 Scotland census. When Sarah Berry died in November 1863, she was described as the widow of John Berry farm labourer, the informant was recorded as Rose Herron, daughter, Sarah Berry's parents were not recorded. When Rosann Herron died in August 1880 (sadly, suicide by drowning), her father was recorded as John Berry deceased labourer, her mothers details weren't recorded.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 20 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church which in this case was Magheradrool Church of Ireland. So that would normally be the place to look for Rose’s baptism, siblings etc. (It might be Hugh’s church too, depending on what denomination he was).  Unfortunately Magheradrool Church of Ireland’s early records were destroyed in the 1922 fire and so they have nothing before the 1880s now.

If Hugh happened to be Presbyterian, then Ballynahinch 2nd & 3rd churches have records from 1829 and 1820 respectively. Copies in PRONI in Belfast. I don’t think they are on-line anywhere.
Elwyn

Offline Jersey 651

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 21 13:33 GMT (UK) »

Sarah Berry was listed as mother-in-law in the Falkirk household of Hugh Herron in the 1861 Scotland census. When Sarah Berry died in November 1863, she was described as the widow of John Berry farm labourer, the informant was recorded as Rose Herron, daughter, Sarah Berry's parents were not recorded. When Rosann Herron died in August 1880 (sadly, suicide by drowning), her father was recorded as John Berry deceased labourer, her mothers details weren't recorded.

Thank you so much for this. I have now found the newspaper article.

Offline Jersey 651

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 21 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church which in this case was Magheradrool Church of Ireland. So that would normally be the place to look for Rose’s baptism, siblings etc. (It might be Hugh’s church too, depending on what denomination he was).  Unfortunately Magheradrool Church of Ireland’s early records were destroyed in the 1922 fire and so they have nothing before the 1880s now.

If Hugh happened to be Presbyterian, then Ballynahinch 2nd & 3rd churches have records from 1829 and 1820 respectively. Copies in PRONI in Belfast. I don’t think they are on-line anywhere.

Thank you. I think that I might be digging around for a long time trying to sort this one out. Im currently trawling through any records that I find online with Heron and all alternative spellngs that I come across.