Author Topic: Widdow Browne a 1768 Connumdrum  (Read 139 times)

Offline allans

• RootsChat Senior
  • Public Tree on Ancestry
    • View Profile
Widdow Browne a 1768 Connumdrum
« on: Tuesday 17 November 20 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I haven't posted the newspaper images here - copyright and all that - however The Kentish Gazette 18 Jun 1768 says "MARRIED At Parrow, Edward Pemberton, Esq; to the widow Brown of Caughley, with a fortune of 50,000l. Great quantities of meat and drink were given to the populace on the occasion". The Stamford Mercury Thursday Jun 23 1768 carries the same announcement virtually word for word, but inludes "on Monday Last" and "by the Rev. Mr. Fail".
I have checked the parish register for Barrow (note spelling) which is where Caughley is. Mr Fail is correct but there is no entry for this mariage.
Pembertons are at Wrockwardine in Shropshire (and elsewhere obiously) but given the sum of money involved they must be people of "significance". There is only one widow Browne of Caughley that stands out Jane Browne nee Clowes, but she appears ro be buried at Barrow in the name Browne 15 May 1779.  Jane was the widow of Edward Browne who died Mar 1750 buried at Benthall.
This throws up several questions -
was Jane (Edward's widow) the lucky lady and the burial is someone else?
Did the marriage not happen for some reason?
Can anyone help throw some light on this mystery?

Thanks - Allan

Tweedie, Garnett,  Smith - !!!, Fearnley,
Bennetts, Waterhouse, Horobin, Tranter

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Widdow Browne a 1768 Connumdrum
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at TNA website for Brown/e wills in Caughley, they may give a clue.  If there they should be available free of charge
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline allans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes - I have Edward Browne's will. I have not found a Jane Browne (or Pemberton) will. There is a mention of a will in a document but no reference to where it may be found. Possibly Shropshire Archives or Hereford Diocesan Archives - it isn't in the Lichfield WIlls.
There are 2 potentialEdward Pemberton wills : first proved 1801 mentions his deceased wife Martha and other family members but no living wife. I am not aware of any Martha Browne individuals. The other proved in 1770 mentions his siter Elizabeth, no wife mentioned.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Did a male Brown die within a few previous years of the marriage of Widdow Brown to Edward Pemberton in the appropriate location?

Then can you find a possible marriage of that deceased Brown (before he died of course!!) It's simply that it may be easier if you had a christian name for Widow Brown.
West Yorks; ---- Illingworth, Marshall, Muffit/Muffett/Murfitt, Barber, Sanderson, Townend, Barraclough, Lister -- and lots more. Locations mainly in Birstall parish - Hartshead-- Drighlington --Adwalton --Mirfield - Heckmondwike --Kippax - Sherburn in Elmet.

Ireland ------Cleary, Whelan - Nenagh.
Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Lancashire ---- Smith from Alston , Johnson and Fairclough---- Tarleton and loads more from Tarleton and Accrington areas.

Offline allans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Indeed - the best bet is Jane. from a wealthy local Browne family. I am not aware of any other wealthy Brownes in the area. Edward being the only one in my Browne of Caughley tree. This tree concentrate on the local landowners. There are many other Brownes in the area all porre workers, shopkeepers, farmers, labourers etc (and that just in Benthall and Broseley - but tracing the family name Brown(e) without the beneit of birth dates and ages well.....
I suppose it will be necessary to check if the Jane that died in 1779 is Edward's widow or if she is someone else - but how without a will?
I cant find a Marriage bond for the marriage or a BT entry either, but Barrow is Hereford Diocese which isnt well represented in onlie transcripts

Offline allans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I remembered  another  widow Browne - Ann Browne nee Turner widow of Ralph Brown of Benthall Hall who died in 1763. His will names her as still alive, and a wealthy family, but Ann and Ralph had no children. However I believe she died in 1767 unless the burial is for a different Ann Browne.
Also two Brothers John Browne 1692-1745 - I never found a wife or children. His brother Charles born 1695, I was unable to find his death or trace this branch at all.