Author Topic: George Albert Taylor Private 21733 6th Bn., King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry  (Read 316 times)

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Good Evening

I am hoping someone may be able to give me information as to when my Great Grandfather signed up. I have a copy of his will and the war diary entry for when he died, but no joining information. Would anywhere possibly have a photograph of his ?

Regards
Moo

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Albert Taylor Private 21733 6th Bn., King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Over 60% of WW1 service records were burnt during the WW2 blitz.  Those that remain can be found on the various subscription sites such as Ancestry or FindMyPast

There is no surviving service record for George but there is a Medal Roll Index entry which I presume you already have
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: George Albert Taylor Private 21733 6th Bn., King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW

I was just wondering why he would have left 3 small children to go fight in a war, unless he didn't have a choice.

Regards
Moo

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I read your other post - his wife sadly died in 1913 aged just 30yrs.  If he was conscripted he would have had no choice as being a widower with young children was not one of the exemptions
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW,

what a different world we live in today.

Regards
Moo

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 19:51 GMT (UK) »
He died on 7 Sep 1915 long before conscription which indicates he was a volunteer.  His war gratuity indicates a very early enlistment (21736 and 21731 joined in Feb 1915)so perhaps the trauma of losing a wife just a year earlier was the spur with presumably his mother to care for the children (mother and children are noted as his legatees).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Max D

Unfortunately I don't have access to the Pension Ledgers, but the information on the front card matches all the details and has given me a clue regarding his mother being a widow.

Thank you

Regards
Moo

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, George's qualifying date for the 1915 Star is shown as 4th of August 1915 (The date he effectively set foot on foreign soil), the poor soul only lived a matter of weeks after his arrival.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands