Author Topic: look up please  (Read 1257 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: look up please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »
1841 has James & Thomas in Princes Risborough with parents James aged 50 & Margaret 43

James occupation is carrier

HO107/piece 42 book 12 folio 6 page 7
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I'm trying to digest all the information.  :) I was originally searching for a William Forster, Born around 1766, but don't know where? William married Elizabeth Collcutt, 05-01-1794, Oxford St Aldates. The marriage was by license. William died in 1837 and was buried at St Aldates. His occupation was a livery stable keeper and he had premises in St Aldates Street , Rose place. William and Elizabeth had four children, William, Catherine, Sarah & Elizabeth. Son William lived at Penson's gardens, his occupation was a milkman, (amongst other things). I was just trying to see if there was a connection with Gaius Forster and his parents to William. I don't believe William (1766) was born in Oxford as he has no baptism record linked to any of the Parishes of Oxford. At the time of his marriage he was of St Mary the Virgin Parish. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Askett comes under Monks Risborough, Bucks, which in turn is close to Princes Risborough.

Taken from BucksFHS St Mary's, Princes Risborough Transcripts CD

Marriage - 11 Jul 1818. by Banns.
                       James X FORSTER, Bachelor otp.
                       Margaret AYRES, Spinster otp.
                       Witnesses - John Clarke & Elizabeth Darvill.

Marriage - 15 Jan 1877. by Licence
John SAWYER, aged Fa, Bachelor of Princes Risboro, Engineer son of Edmund Sawyer, Farmer
Emily Helen FORSTER, aged Fa, Spinster of Princes Risboro daughter of James Forster, Tailor..
Witnesses - William Wright, Clara Isabella Forster.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to you all for your replies, very informative. You are all clearly experts at this. :) My question to you all is, do you think I am barking up the wrong tree trying to make a connection between the Forster's in Oxford and Bucks just because two Forster's lived in Pensons Gardens, St Ebbe, Oxford? Coincidence maybe, although Forster is not really a common name, from what I have found so far there weren't many Forster families living in Oxford in the 1800's.  ???

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 11:26 GMT (UK) »
From the research undertaken above - surname on records is Foster.  Not unusual for a surname to have different spellings as illiteracy was rife in those days and there was a tendency to “spell it as it sounded”

If Gains/Gaius is your ancestor then all info up to the marriage of James Forster & Margaret Ayres is correct.  They were his parents.

The 1851 entry shows James Foster 56 b White Cliff Bucks occ carrier which is the occ on the 1848 marriage cert
Daughter Fanny is back with them
Wife Margaret was born Bury Lancashire
1851 ref is HO107 piece 1720 folio 517 page 9

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 13:55 GMT (UK) »
'White Cliff', would be Whiteleaf.  Whiteleaf comes under Monks Risborough, and is close to Askett.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Steve.  I tried to notify a birthplace amendment to Ancestry but it’s only allowing name changes on the 1851.  Never had a problem previously so don’t know if they have changed it