Author Topic: Mothers maiden name Scotlands People.  (Read 2864 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Mothers maiden name Scotlands People.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Playing around with the index for 1911 seems to show this Watt household in Hamilton:

James 52
Maggie 24
Lizzie 22
Lizzie 3

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 21:32 GMT (UK) »
The 1885 marriage in New Monkland for James Watt and Elizabeth Graham would let you confirm parents' names. Margaret Gartshore Watt looks to be first born to them. So, wondering if the name used was connected to Elizabeth Graham.

There is this 1857 birth showing for an Elizabeth Graham www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ91-LJD

It fits well with that 1891 entry for Elizabeth now Watt. Riggend, which she gave as her birth place that year, is a village in New Monkland.

Easy enough for the 1885 marriage to be checked on SP.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Graham or Watt was the daughter of James Graham (1830-1895) and Margaret Smellie Gartshore (1835-1883). I am certain that she is related to me (very distantly) at least once and possibly twice over through her mother's line but I cannot find the clinching pieces of evidence.

Her husband's parents were Peter Watt and Janet Fleming.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 November 20 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 November 20 12:56 GMT (UK) »
That is a massive clue. I know more recent records are difficult so thanks for that. :)
They're not normally all that difficult because if you can get to the Scotland's People Centre or a linked archive you can search using mother's maiden surname from 1929 onwards, and view the certificate at the click of a mouse. However these facilites are currently closed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
Incidentally, if anyone comes across the death record of James Mitchell Watt, I'd be interested as I have failed to find it so far. 

I have him in the 1911 census, and he is not listed as deceased on the marriage certificates of his daughters Margaret (1920) or Janet (1922).

His wife Elizabeth Graham died in 1894, and is noted as deceased in 1920 but not in 1922.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
Forfarian a tree has an obituary attached to their tree dated 27 June 1947 Wishaw Press  and he died 16 June 1947
Hamilton at the home of his daughter Mrs Margaret Watson 331 Barrack Street Hamilton
Age 87 years ..They have his name as James Lockhart Mitchel Watt I notice on the 1881 census he is James L M Watt with parents Peter and Janet in Quarry Road Hamilton if this is the same family ..SP has a death for James Lockhart Watt 1947  Hamilton Lanarkshire
Age 87 years you might want to check

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 13:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie.

I did wonder about that one but as I hadn't seen any other reference to Lockhart I couldn't be sure.

I'll note it to check the original some time when I can get back to Edinburgh or another Scotland's People Centre.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 14:38 BST (UK) »
Yes best to check on Scotland People to confirm if  its the right person  :)

Rosie