Author Topic: Letitia Lillystone (nee Churchill)  (Read 937 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Letitia Lillystone (nee Churchill)
« on: Tuesday 17 November 20 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Letitia was born in Islington England in 1860 and married Charles Lillystone. He died in 1897 and she immigrated to USA in 1905, stating she's going to live with her sister Alice Churchill. I have Letitia in 1905 census in Union New Jersey employed by the Rockwell family as the children's nurse. This is the last record I have and I can't find a death or another marriage record.
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Letitia Lillystone (nee Churchill)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Alice is working for the Rockwells also in 1905.

I don't see anything for either of them after 1905 in the US or UK. A hint at ancestry says Alice died in the 4th Qtr 1921 in Poplar Registration District, London. Vol 1c, page 527. Do you know if this is correct? Often the hints on ancestry are based on people's research which is not always reliable - they might have seen an Alice Churchill dying in the area and added it to their tree.

If that is Alice, could Letitia also have returned to the UK?

And in general, do you know what happened to Alice and the rest of the children? An obituary might mention Letitia and her whereabouts.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 05:09 GMT (UK) »
1881 census - 21 Caledonia Street Islington

Amelia Churchill 60 widow
Letitia 24
George 21
Alice 13

Letitia marries Robert Lillystone widower (not Charles)19 October 1889 Islington father William Churchill

William Churchill married Amelia Lasden at St John Hackney 18 November 1849

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 05:24 GMT (UK) »
1871 census still at 21 Caledonia Street (transcribed as Charehill on ancestry)

Amelia Churchill 38 widowed   (60 in 1881)
William 19
Letitia 14
George 12
Emma 6
Alice 3

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 November 20 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the replies.

Yes sorry she married Robert not Charles (that's his brother) my mistake.

I have all of her censuses in England up until 1901. I next find her in US in 1905 census. After that I have nothing.

I'm still researching their family, so as I go on I will give an update
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 November 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if it's the right Alice Churchill, but there is English/Welsh probate information for one who died 4 Apr. 1942 and lived in 541 Parker St., Newark, New Jersey.  She was listed as a "spinster."

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 November 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
This could be her, just looked at the 1905 census again, Alice is also listed at that same address, as oldohiohome wrote in an earlier post.

I misread Letitia's occupation there though. She's a cook and her sister Alice was the children's nurse. Alice stated to be a spinster, and Newark isn't far at all from where they were living in 1905, so this probate looks promising.

Thank you and I will look into this further

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 November 20 00:21 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if it's the right Alice Churchill, but there is English/Welsh probate information for one who died 4 Apr. 1942 and lived in 541 Parker St., Newark, New Jersey.  She was listed as a "spinster."

Unfortunately that lady wasn't at that address in 1940:

A E Thums, 44, 1 year of college, a coal dealer, born in NY
Anna R Thums, wife, 46, born in Pennsylvania
Mary Stevens, 88, widowed, lodger, born in Canada
Florence Walling, 45, widowed, servant, born in New Jersey, parochial [?] nurse, with maid written in above it

they all lived elsewhere in Newark in 1935

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G99M-94V9?i=6&wc=QZFM-2YL%3A790103901%2C792779101%2C797081501%2C797135801&cc=2000219

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 November 20 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Update: Robert and Letitia Lillystone had no children