Author Topic: Diary - Tuesday 17th November  (Read 781 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Tuesday 17th November
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 12:33 GMT (UK) »
MH - I was pretty shocked to hear about my neighbours, they're a lovely family and it's always been a great comfort to me to know that they're there if I need anything. I know I can't catch Covid through the wall but it's still a bit too close for comfort! Their daughter said something about coming out of self isolation today, I'm not sure whether she was referring to her parents or herself, she has of course been unable to go to work. It was very windy when I was talking to her and as we were standing some distance apart the wind was whipping some of her words away!
You'll be pleased to hear that I always wear gloves when I take the bins in and out and always sanitise the handles and lid, then wash my hands when I come inside. I'm currently waiting for a parcel, not sure whether my neighbours' girls would take it in for me at the moment anyway but I want to make sure I'm here.

My friend's brother lives alone and despite being disabled is very self sufficient, the only assistance he has is a lady who comes in to clean for him, he's cancelled her visit. My friend takes him shopping and out other places. My friend herself is no longer classed as vulnerable, although she was for some time after her operation. She lives alone since her husband died earlier this year (not Covid).  She had the same lady coming to clean for her but has cancelled too. It's been a difficult time for everyone this year but she's had so much to cope with and now this.

It hadn't occurred to me that being worries had caused my tiredness, I'm sure you're right. You're very wise.  :)

PS, the plague programme on ch 5 is a three parter, on again tonight. The first part was called The Great Plague: Outbreak. The second is The Great Plague: Decimation, the third, tomorrow night is Aftermath. Fascinating stuff.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about "very wise" Roobarb, but many heads make lights work.... or something like that.  ;)
Glad to hear you already take such precautions with the bins etc. Doesn't seem like you can do much more. But how is the virus getting to people such as your friend, assuming he has not been spending most of his time in the pub?
I wish I was wise enough to know the answer.
Thanks for the info regarding TV plague series, I shall relish that.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

Not posted for a day or so - really nothing of interest to impart.  Last couple of days dull and dreary outside (as is today) but a flurry of deliveries (Christmas presents) arrived in the morning via Hermes, Amazon and Royal Mail.   

This past weekend my cousin A and her husband were supposed to arrive for a 10 day visit from Dorset (to Suffolk), staying at my sisters.   My sister had already listed out an itinerary for them during the visit.   This second lockdown put the kibosh on that, of course, and we were all very disappointed.  My sister is phoning A daily discussing where they would have gone that day and what it would have been like.   So, it's kind of like they are having a virtual visit.   Last night a quiz was organised via phone (cousin A not technical in any way and hasn't yet got Whatsapp when we could all have seen each other too) - my sister had the questions so b-in-l was participating, myself and A and J (being a pair we thought they had an unfair advantage as both very knowledgeable).   Should have been 30 questions but J missed one so only 29.   B-in-law and I tied for first place with 21 so in this instance one head (times 2) was better than 2 (they only got 18).  Told A that next time she sees one of her granddaughters or her son to get them to put Whatsapp on her phone.  Even via the phone we had quite a laugh albeit not seeing each other.   We are planning another quiz get-together next week which might become a regular thing for a while at least.

Wasn't very hungry so just had quiche and some curried chips for dinner but it was really very tasty.  Followed by tiramisu.  Had poured a glass of wine but had only had a couple of sips when we had the quiz and then promptly forgot about the rest of it.

Watched some Murdoch Mysteries on tv, and had a sewing fest of items knitted for the babies (2 jackets and 2 hats).  Will do 2 more prem jackets and then it will be back to normal baby sizes as they won't be tiny forever.

Would just like a little sunshine now as that gives me the impetus to tackle other things too.

Stay safe.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Annette, hope your cousin has been enjoying her virtual visit. Not sure whether I would, it might seem a bit like on Bullseye when he used to say "Here's what you could have won"! But it sounds from what you say that she enjoys it so that's what matters. Good that you've been able to enjoy your distanced quiz, well done on the result.

MH, I'm sure my friend's brother would have loved to be able to spend his time in the pub.  :D  He's been shopping with my friend but they avoid busy times, his only other contact as far as I'm aware is with his cleaner, it's possible that he's caught the virus from her but I'm pretty sure she takes all necessary precautions. Of course we're hoping that he tests negative, he received and returned his test today.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes of course. Fingers crossed for a negative test result Roobarb.
Virus floats around in the air, and adheres to surfaces.
I guess it is partially a lottery, like most things in life. :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.