Author Topic: Beginner looking for some help for my Fraser Ancestors  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner looking for some help for my Fraser Ancestors
« Reply #45 on: Friday 20 November 20 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Lanarkshire Militia?

Skoosh.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 20 November 20 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Lanarkshire Militia?
Perhaps.

But he was living in Dundee, so I'd have thought it would be difficult for him to serve in the Lanarkshire Militia, and the clerk would have written it out in full if he had been doing so.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 20 November 20 23:13 GMT (UK) »
What lovely writing on the marriage record. If only all parish records were that easy to read! Something about the light & graceful style of the calligraphy makes me wonder if it was written by a woman – perhaps the minister’s wife did his clerical work. ;)

Anyway, the marriage record confirms that the birth for Helen Kirkland that I gave you in “post 28” was correct.
The family of William Kirkland and Jean Smith:
•   David Kirkland b. 11/05/1777 Dundee
•   William Kirkland b. 25/10/1778 Dundee
•   Thomas Kirkland b. 02/04/1780 Dundee
•   Robert Kirkland b. 21/09/1783 Dundee
•   Helen Kirkland b. 27/03/1785 Dundee; d. 03/04/1787 Dundee
•   Helen Kirkland b. 10/07/1787 Dundee; d. 04/02/1836 Dundee
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 20 November 20 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I don't want to rely on just census records. I do know that he was dead by 1866 so he died sometime between 1836 (after his wife died) and 1866 when his son died so i don't believe he will be on any census records after at least 1861.

What a shame you didn’t post this information before now; it would have saved me quite a lot of time.
If you don’t give all the information that you have available, those who are trying to help you are working in the dark, wasting their time, and in the long run are restricted in the assistance they can give.

It is important to rely on census records for information and leads. From the 1841 and 1851 census information that I have posted, you now know :
•   Alexander was born about 1788 in Nairn
•   He was still alive and working as a mason in 1851
•   The names and approx. date of birth of 2 daughters, and the marriage information for the younger.

I strongly recommend that you search the 1861 census thoroughly for Alexander to see if you can reduce even more, the search parameters for his death.
In “reply 34” I have given you the most likely birth record I could find for him, based on information from the 1851 census. It is only a possibility; and it is quite likely that there is no record of his birth.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 20 November 20 23:30 GMT (UK) »
From the death records on SP there is another son (apart from your William) from the Alex Frazer – Helen Kirkland marriage.
He is: Alexander Fraser - died 1863 in Clyde age 52. So he was born about 1811-12 and likely the eldest son in the family.
From his death record you might be able to get more information about the death of his father, or you might find him in the 1861 census.

In the 1841 census he is working as a mason in Cairnryan Village, Inch, Wigtownshire.
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a158ea4f4040b9d6eaac171/alexander-fraser-1841-wigtownshire-inch-1816-?locale=en

In the 1851 census you will find him in Carrick Street, Glasgow, working as a mason, living with his wife and family.
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a1500d9f4040b9d6e0ab49c/alexander-fraser-1851-lanarkshire-glasgow-1812-?locale=en

Offline HannahB92

• RootsChat Extra
  • https://literaturetravelhistory.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 21 November 20 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I had not previously known he was deceased by 1866 until i posted about it today. William's death record was hard for me to read (i have poor sight) for some parts of it but i had a lovely lady decipher it for me and let me know as at the time i could only make out the profession on the register. I would have passed this information on before hand otherwise.

Thank you so much for the information on Helen Kirkland's family i will certainly follow this up. I will be sure to also check the 1861 census to see if i can track down Alexander. I will look to get the birth record for him from SP also.

I did not know he had another son so that is a huge help! I will follow up on him and see what i can come up with.
Brick, Walmsley, Roscoe, Colgan, Fraser, Frizzell

My website: https://literaturetravelhistory.wordpress.com/