Author Topic: Maria Shepherd Parmiter 1838-? Ursuline Nun  (Read 158 times)

Offline meekhcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maria Shepherd Parmiter 1838-? Ursuline Nun
« on: Wednesday 18 November 20 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone

A longstanding brickwall.

Maria Shepherd Parmiter bn 1838 East Stoke Dorset to Thomas Parmiter and his second wife Mary Ayres. Baptised  C of E.

Thomas was a wealthy tenant Farmer of the Weld Family of Lulworth Castle, a prominent Catholic Family. Thomas and his second wife converted to Catholicism and were conditionally baptised, as was Maria and two daughters from Thomas' previous marriage. The rest of Thomas and Mary's children were baptised straight into the Catholic Faith.

In 1851 Maria was a boarder at the school at St Monica's Spetisbury, an Augustinian order. She is not there in 1861. A magnificent History has been written about St Monica's by a Local Lady, but sadly the google link is now broken.

In 1861 the Augustinian Nuns were in the middle of moving to Devon, to St Augustine's Priory at Abbotskerswell, near Newton Abbot. I have scoured online references and the 1861 census but have not come across Maria.

In 1871 she is visiting the household of Richard Stapley Miles in Hackney, London and is recorded s "a Nun of the Urseline (Ursuline) order". I cannot find any connection between Maria and this Family. She is recorded by her birth name, not her religious name, which unfortunately I don't know.

That is the last sighting I have of her.

Richard S Miles died in 1876. In 1881 his wife is living at Forest Gate London. There was an Ursuline
School, St Angela's (still there) and Convent there. I wonder if Maria was attached to the Convent but was working in the community?

I have posted a query re this on the WWW Forum ./viewtopic.php?f=3&t=239 and have followed up the links posted there to no avail.

I have emailed the Usuline Community and  I am waiting for a reply.

I have looked at the Catholic FHS Index of Nuns but she doesn't feature there.

Several Ancestry Trees say she died in 1910, but without any sources!!

I am now stumped, so any thoughts and ideas gratefully received.

Many thanks, Sally

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Shepherd Parmiter 1838-? Ursuline Nun
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Several Ancestry Trees say she died in 1910, but without any sources!!

Have you tried contacting the tree owners to ask if they have any information?

Is there a death for a Maria in 1910 you can rule out? 
Hinchliffe Huddersfield Wiltshire

Offline meekhcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Shepherd Parmiter 1838-? Ursuline Nun
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Milliepede

Thank you for your reply.

Of the 13 trees mentioned on Ancestry, 8 give no date of death, 5 give 1910 and 3 of those mention Canada.

I have contacted people in the past but none of them were able to confirm the date and/or place of death. Given the inacccuracies I have found in the trees, and the size of some of them, I would surmise one put the date out there, and everyone else copied.

I have searched extensively for Maria's death but to no avail. I considered the fact that she may have travelled abroad but again any possible death I have found so far I have been able to disprove.