Author Topic: My tree back to 1100's - I don't believe it.  (Read 10621 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
My tree back to 1100's - I don't believe it.
« on: Wednesday 18 November 20 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Just have to share this with you. A fellow researcher helping with my Redman line found a rather interesting tree, however the finds should be taken with a kilo of salt!  The owner is same generation as me , he/she descends from the brother of my Gt x 1 Grandfather.  Whereas I can only go back with proof to our Gt x 4 Grandfather   he/she  goes back to 1100's,  and no proof.

We have Knights of the Realm, Lords and Ladies, Members of Parliament, a  Speaker of the House of Commons and more. Most of these can be found by googling.  Apparently we come from France.  After the Battle of Hastings one Adam d'Avranches was given land, the spoils of victory from the battle  and became Lord of Yealand and Silverdale in Cumbria he also had land a few miles away called Redman . His son called himself de Redman (Redmayne) which means  of Redman.  The de was eventually dropped in 1500.  After 400 years they are in Sussex no titles, no wealth,  mainly labourers or farmers. .

For fun I looked into the tree and finds more closely and can  not find a shred of evidence  to connect my poor Sussex Redmans  to the Yorkshire nobles.  To add insult to injury he/she got the death of our Gt x 2 Grandfather completely wrong and mentioned a death of his mother which can not be found, believe me I have tried.

So I just don't believe it.   Maybe Tree Owner will see this post and prove me wrong?

This is what the second lockdown had driven me too, lol. But its been fun.

Stay safe everyone

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: My tree back to 1100's - I don't believe it.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I don't believe it either. For the record, Yealand and Silverdale are in Lancashire. Anyone who gets this wrong has probably got much more wrong.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Oh and land near called Redman is probably the village Yealand Redmayne. Redmayne still exists as a surname - I suppose it could be corrupted to Redman, but not hereabouts.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 17:55 GMT (UK) »
They are not trying hard enough. A descent from William the Conqueror is not good enough. What is really needed is a descent from Charlemagne, Odin, Helen of Troy, and Adam and Eve.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I don't believe it either. For the record, Yealand and Silverdale are in Lancashire. Anyone who gets this wrong has probably got much more wrong.

I can’t see the point in all this make believe. Yes there is a lot wrong in the tree. Don’t suppose it’s worth contacting owner. Tree owner sounds like a lady from this line I had contact with but this one is different name.  She refused to believe my help with the bits she got wrong when I had actual documentation. We parted company on bad terms after she slagged me off on this very site. I think she was banned.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 17:59 GMT (UK) »
They are not trying hard enough. A descent from William the Conqueror is not good enough. What is really needed is a descent from Charlemagne, Odin, Helen of Troy, and Adam and Eve.

LOL  ;D

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 November 20 16:21 GMT (UK) »
It's amazing how "happy" (what are they all on?) so many people are so very willing to accept all sorts of very loosely connected connections. I'm with you on this - I never believe it, either! I've sweated blood, money and ink to get my lot mostly back to 1500s (except of course for the really stubborn Irish ones, who refuse totally to be found prior to mid/ late 1800s) - and I'm amazed how many simply lap it up!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 November 20 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I've seen trees which confidently assert my paternal lineage back to Charlemagne and even back to Adam and Eve. I personally can't get past the early 1800s with my paternal surname line - there were just too many people with the correct name and too few details on parish records etc to sort them out. And that ancestor had the nerve to die before the 1841 census.

My favourite tree of all time was one which confidently provided the parents of a 12 century ancestor of mine as King Richard 1, and his lovely lady known as Concubine 2. Funny name that-- you don't get many girls called Concubine these days ----
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 November 20 16:44 GMT (UK) »
... what do you think happened to "Concubine 1"? Answers please .....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)