Author Topic: My tree back to 1100's - I don't believe it.  (Read 10677 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Re: My tree back to 1100's - I don't believe it.
« Reply #135 on: Monday 30 November 20 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I have lots of black sheep and I am not at all ashamed. Like Viktoria I don’t yearn to be connected to nobility. My best Black Sheep is a murderer. Killed 2 wives, 2 strangers and injured many more including all of his 4 wives. 1882 Indiana. Was mudered himself by a lynch mob while awaiting trail for murder of his child wife they sprung him from Jail.

Not that I am condoning what he did but it was an exciting find, all true and verified plus I had article published in genealogy publication about it.  He is the grandson of my Gt x 3 and his second wife.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Monday 30 November 20 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Descendants of the signatories of the Declaration of Arbroath, 1320 are being traced by researchers at the University of Strathclyde and to-date 40, 0f the original 48, have been traced & confirmed using DNA including those of King Robert The Bruce, the remaining eight have been traced on the previous Battle of Bannockburn family history project. The Dunbar's in particular have an unbroken male descent from Crinan the Thane who was born in the late 10th century, one of the longest documented male line ancestries in these islands.
 Patrick Dunbar, earl of March had no male descendants but his brother Alexander has three  descendants holding current baronetcies.
 The researchers hope to mount an exhibition next year as Covid put the hems on this years anniversary. The Declaration of Scotland's Independence was drawn up by Bernard the Abbot of Kilwinning at the Abbey of Newbattle & carried north to the Abbey of Arbroath to be signed & sealed!  for forwarding to Pope John XXll.

https://www.nms.ac.uk/explore-our-collections/stories/scottish-history-and-archaeology/the-declaration-of-arbroath/

Skoosh.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Monday 30 November 20 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Descendants of the signatories of the Declaration of Arbroath, 1320 are being traced by researchers at the University of Strathclyde and to-date 40, 0f the original 48, have been traced & confirmed using DNA including those of King Robert The Bruce, the remaining eight have been traced on the previous Battle of Bannockburn family history project. The Dunbar's in particular have an unbroken male descent from Crinan the Thane who was born in the late 10th century, one of the longest documented male line ancestries in these islands.
 Patrick Dunbar, earl of March had no male descendants but his brother Alexander has three  descendants holding current baronetcies.
 The researchers hope to mount an exhibition next year as Covid put the hems on this years anniversary. The Declaration of Scotland's Independence was drawn up at the Abbey of Newbattle & carried north to the Abbey of Arbroath to be signed & sealed! 

Skoosh.

Oh that is fascinating.  Do you know where they are planning on holding the exhibition?
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Monday 30 November 20 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Jettejane - I have to admit that if it were me, I probably wouldn't tell them as when I've tried that in the past, I've rarely been acknowledged and never believed.

But if you did, then rather than telling them you were wrong, perhaps you could frame it that you have found this (whatever the recent proof is), was interested to see that they descended from the same line and would appreciate discussing it with someone?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Monday 30 November 20 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Pharma, as far as I can work out the public exhibition is to be at Arbroath Abbey to coincide with St Andrew's Day next year. The Declaration of Independence is too fragile to travel but will be on show for a month at the National Museum in Edinburgh.

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Monday 30 November 20 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Jettejane - I have to admit that if it were me, I probably wouldn't tell them as when I've tried that in the past, I've rarely been acknowledged and never believed.

But if you did, then rather than telling them you were wrong, perhaps you could frame it that you have found this (whatever the recent proof is), was interested to see that they descended from the same line and would appreciate discussing it with someone?

I agree. I have tried in the past to help others and did it very tactfully. Few answered and those that did didn’t believe me but they had no explanation for the wrong information recorded.

Very possibly this tree owner will not welcome my comments no matter how nice I am.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

guest189040

« Reply #141 on: Monday 30 November 20 15:36 GMT (UK) »
 The researchers hope to mount an exhibition next year as Covid put the hems on this years anniversary. The Declaration of Scotland's Independence was drawn up by Bernard the Abbot of Kilwinning at the Abbey of Newbattle & carried north to the Abbey of Arbroath to be signed & sealed!  for forwarding to Pope John XXll.

https://www.nms.ac.uk/explore-our-collections/stories/scottish-history-and-archaeology/the-declaration-of-arbroath/

Skoosh.

Facinating, many thanks for posting.

My Wife's 19xGGF was on the English side at the battle and was captured whilst one of his sons was killed.

Quite a few names on the list of captured or killed also appear on her tree.

Probably will find just as many on the Scots side.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Monday 30 November 20 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Accidentally reposted #
Ps Viktoria I. An inverted snob too

Love my ancestor who got arrested for selling postcards of an indelicate nature ,!
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Monday 30 November 20 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Postcards of an indelicate nature!
 ;) :D ;D :o ;) :D ;D :o ;) :D ;D :o
Viktoria,We are very amused !
P.S.
Lots went wrong with our very ordinary simple wedding ,my in laws went on holiday a day or two later.
I still have the postcard they sent ,
A Bride and Groom walking down the Church path, the Bride is saying to the Groom ,” There  ,you see , darling it all went off without a hitch “,
 BUT, a little dog is hanging on the Bride’s train,  tearing it - to reveal very brief frilly underwear!
Oooer, very risqué for them.
That was about the only thing thst did not go wrongly our wedding.
Viktoria.