Author Topic: My tree back to 1100's - I don't believe it.  (Read 10677 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: My tree back to 1100's - I don't believe it.
« Reply #153 on: Monday 30 November 20 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Pharma, many pages back in this thread I referenced an Ancestry tree which I'd come across, which had more than 800,000 names and only 2 attached sources.

If you have nearly 1000 attached sources on your tree, I really don't think that anyone is going to put you in the same bracket as the tree I found. Do you? Has anyone said to you, "Pharma, you've only got 900+ sources, that's clearly an under-resourced and probably dodgy tree"? I doubt it!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Monday 30 November 20 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Pharma, many pages back in this thread I referenced an Ancestry tree which I'd come across, which had more than 800,000 names and only 2 attached sources.

If you have nearly 1000 attached sources on your tree, I really don't think that anyone is going to put you in the same bracket as the tree I found. Do you? Has anyone said to you, "Pharma, you've only got 900+ sources, that's clearly an under-resourced and probably dodgy tree"? I doubt it!

atm I have fewer sources on my tree than I do people.  I have many sources just stored elsewhere
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Monday 30 November 20 20:21 GMT (UK) »

atm I have fewer sources on my tree than I do people.  I have many sources just stored elsewhere

So what, that is no one's business but yours! There is no right or wrong way, if you choose to store sources elsewhere, that is up to you. Even if people have sources attached to their online tree it doesn't mean their tree is right, it just means they have chosen to accept that source. Stop worrying what other people think and just do what you want and what is best for you.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Monday 30 November 20 20:36 GMT (UK) »

So what, that is no one's business but yours! There is no right or wrong way, if you choose to store sources elsewhere, that is up to you. Even if people have sources attached to their online tree it doesn't mean their tree is right, it just means they have chosen to accept that source. Stop worrying what other people think and just do what you want and what is best for you.

Well I have no sources so I must be a rubbish researcher. Who cares.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Monday 30 November 20 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Just because there are no sources on my Ancestry tree doesn't mean I don't have them....
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Monday 30 November 20 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I've added quite a few sources to my Ancestry tree lately, but I have a lot more stored on my computer, which I may or may not add at some stage. However, I don't add people to my tree until I'm sure of my facts. If anyone related to me contacts me, I'm very happy to share information. But the sources I choose to add are my business not anyone elses. This is my hobby which I do because I enjoy it, I'm not going to stress about what someone else thinks.

Go easy on yourself Pharma, and don't stop enjoying your research.

Oh and if a mistake were to be pointed out to me, I'd certainly check it out.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Monday 30 November 20 21:58 GMT (UK) »
If I uploaded all the sources on my Anc tree I would be there forever. I often add notes under their birth, marriage or death year, and even add notes about their probate as well.

For brickwall ancestors I do add an approximate year of birth, an estimated year of birth for research purposes, so I get a benchmark.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Monday 30 November 20 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Well my grandma had babies regularly.
Twelve in total from 1885 to 1910, so twelve in twenty five years!
Then the silly madam adopted four more .
She had her last in January 1910, when her first had given birth to twins in the Autumn of  1909 .Also her 16 year old daughter died in 1910.
Sadly all three babies died,measles.April 1910 .
There were four funerals ,the 16 year old, one twin ,grandmas’s little girl then the other twin.
I wonder sometimes if the babies knew who was their  mother .
It mattered not which source of nourishment there was!
Share and share alike.
And sickly babies were given to grandma ,it helped them thrive then back to their real mothers ,and if a mother was very ill after a confinement,grandma
would care for them in every way until their mother had recovered .
What a marvellous woman. Her only fault was getting too involved at dramatic times in the silent movies.! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Her proud grand daughter Viktoria.

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Monday 30 November 20 22:13 GMT (UK) »
LOL that reminds me  of  the story of my granny.She went to the cinema  with a   friend. The film was a  melodrama, one scene showed a woman whose relations  put her in the workhouse,, showed  her scrubbing floors...  friend shouted  out "Aye , thats what mine'll do with me!"    Granny never went with her again LOL