Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 18th November  (Read 994 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 18th November
« on: Thursday 19 November 20 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Woke early this morning as a result of early lights out last night. Got up and put the bin out, back in bed to read for a while. Was expecting a parcel today, I often see the Hermes courier about lunch time so waited before going for my walk. In the meantime I changed the bed and did other equally enthralling things.  ::)
 Emailed my art teacher as I'd had no response to one I sent several days ago. I don't like to pester her but she had said to ask if I didn't get a reply as she'd found her last reply in drafts.

Was hungry early so had a very early lunch. By then it seemed much later than it actually was. Parcel arrived early afternoon, it was a couple of cushions I'd ordered. I thought at first that they'd just sent the pads, the covers were separate. To say I was disappointed is an understatement, they looked nothing like the vibrant colours on the website. There was no return label in the parcel. I've just found out that Matalan don't have free returns by post. As their shops are currently closed they have extended the return window for instore returns. I've ordered online because I don't want to go into the shop and now I'm being penalised. I don't want to go to the post office either. I'm fuming, who on earth in this day and age charges for returns? I have the answer now.

Out for my walk after receiving the parcel, it was quite mild but as soon as I got on the field I realised I should have put a woolly hat on, it was blowing a gale. Rather bracing. Forecast for tomorrow is much colder.
Phoned my friend L to see how she and her brother are, she said he'd received his Covid test. She was in better spirits and they're both still well. Really hoping his test is negative.

Tesco delivery after 3pm, nearly all fresh stuff. Got my Christmas pudding yum! I'd nearly run out of bread this week so had ordered extra as spare but screwed up, as well as the extra I'd ordered two loaves instead of one. Can't fit a full loaf in the freezer, will have to try and make some space. In normal circumstances I would have given it to next door  (not NN!) but don't want to go round because of current situation.

Watched Portrait Artist, I was pleased with who the judges voted winner.

Hope everyone has managed to find something enjoyable today, be it a good walk, sewing, knitting, making cards or rounding up sheep!  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 18th November
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 November 20 07:38 GMT (UK) »
This is the other end of the spectrum .... awake a lot earlier than I want to be... still dark outside!

Pity about your cushions and frustrating you can’t return FOC... did you know that you can have parcels collected by the post office from your home... it costs a small fee but would save you having to go to a post office... look at the Royal Mail web site see if it’s available in your area...
keeping fingers crossed your friends brothers test is negative... worrying time and your nice neighbours too... have they had a test?
Hope your art teacher comes back to you with good feed back..

The sun was shining when I got up... hurray!... got the washing out early as I’d set the machine the previous night...
After breakfast got into my exercise kit and got my mat etc out ready for teachers live class...
Sorted out parcels that had arrived on Monday and been isolating... one was book for T eldest grandson all about Raptors beautiful photographs in it he’ll love it...🤞 other parcel was from all beauty... they were advertising men’s hair clippers and as I’m now chief hairdresser for OH having given him another one the other day.. this new clipper is a proper one I’ll feel more comfortable using... I’d also ordered the shampoo I usually buy from my hairdresser, it’s lovely stuff no rubbish in it... not cheap but makes my hair really look and feel great... I’d ordered a 1000ml pump bottle instead of the usual 300ml one as there was only £5 difference in price yet 3 times the quantity... it’s going to last me A VERY LONG time! bit like all the marmite my sons received!...the final item was a styling brush but it’s no good must have misread the description as wanted a circular one and it’s flat sided... printed off a returns label and packaged it up ready to return..
Did my hours exercise class... shower, hair wash.... lunch time...
Got set up for my zoom book club meeting... had bit of trouble with others trying to get in but then realised I needed to click on ‘participants’ and a bar came up at the side of the screen so I could let them in... first time I’ve set up a meeting so know what to do now!...
Had a good discussion about the book... others liked it and felt as I did ... one friend wasn’t keen on it at all...ah well can’t suit everyone and that’s the purpose of a book club... chatted for a while after... one friends a recently retired GP so we were talking about the vaccines .... in her opinion it’ll probably be late spring/ early summer before things are more relaxed.. she didn’t think care home residents should be first in line but care workers, NHS, teachers first... as she pointed out residents aren’t going out and about but those looking after them are!
Interesting to hear a professionals view point... decided we’d leave next meeting until January...
Weather has now turned dull and fine misty rain in the air..
OH had noticed and brought washing in..
went up to my room and made more cards... think I’ve done about 30-40 now so getting in well... watched the first if The Plague programmes that Roobarb mentioned... found it very interesting... I’ve read some of the Daniel Defoe book...
Dinner was lambs liver in onion gravy with crispy bacon, mash, carrots and Savoy cabbage... haven’t cooked liver for quite a while... I do like it but had a bad experience when I’d ordered it once... came almost raw had to send it back! Anyway this was delicious... just floured first cooked on either side for a minute in a frying pan  take it out soften onions, I added mushrooms too, add gravy cook for few minutes then pop liver back in for three minutes and it’s ready... easy peasy...
Had message from my Son to say Marmite parcel had arrived so not taken as long as his birthday card... a couple of weeks I think... he liked my scandi felt Christmas decorations... a heart ❤️ and a star ⭐️ I’d made and sewn beads on them.. he told me they were ‘awesome and I could sell them you know Mum’.... been there done it and bought the T shirt... bless him! Nice to have family support with crafting... I admire his work tremendously...OH thinks he’s wasted his physics degree... I know he’s a much happier person doing what he’s doing and that means everything...
Watched Escape to The Chateau.... some beautiful places but money pits most of them and jolly hard work!
Also watched Portrait Artist and very pleased with the winner, she’d really captured the whole ‘being’ of the sitter... so agree with you Roobarb...
Early night as tired...
A busy day and apart from early morning sunshine hadn’t really noticed what rest of the day was like until OH brought washing in!
Hope others days were better and trying to keep occupied...
Thinking about Chris out there in Oz as it’s been on the  news.... somehow don’t see the logic of not even being able to go out in your garden....

Take care all
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 November 20 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I've had a look at the Royal Mail website, it says that a return label from the company must be attached, presumably that's one with a barcode. That was another problem with the parcel, the delivery note didn't have an attached return slip. Ironically one of my neighbours' daughters works at the post office, her mother said months ago to let them know if I wanted anything posting but unfortunately but she isn't at work at the moment because of their situation. The cushion covers are 100% cotton so I've decided to dye them along with some bedding that I've been intending to dye. They can then go on the bed instead of on the sofa as planned. I'll only order in future if I'm pretty sure I won't want to send the item back! Thanks for the heads up anyway.

I assume my neighbours have been tested, he would have to be because of the nature of his work, his wife has been furloughed. There's a test centre not far away so presumably they would both go, or else both send for tests. I saw him take the dog onto the field this morning, that ties in with what their daughter said about the isolation period ending and presumably he's feeling better which is good. I'll still steer well clear though!

Well done on setting up the Zoom meeting, oh she of the soft and shiny hair! I haven't eaten liver for absolutely years, when it was served to us at school all the other kids used to turn their noses up at it, I liked it. Used to be a cheap and tasty meal, not sure whether it's still so cheap but certainly tasty I'm sure.
I agree about the garden restrictions in Oz, it does seem odd and very hard for them when it's coming towards summer there.

Only two of us posted for Wednesday, everyone one must have been out in the sunshine.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 November 20 16:17 GMT (UK) »
A Shame you are not satisfied with the cushions, what a taradiddle now to return them.
I want a big but flat rug ,or I will trip over it.
I am putting the winter furnishings back soon ,all that is creams and camels so a nice warm terracotta rug and cushions will be cosy ,but what I see are wine, red etc ,a real soft warm terracotta is what I need .
The soft blue will get a freshen up and away for the Winter.
I don’t want a patterned one, can only deal with one pattern in a room or I spend hours counting colours and shades etc.
Well TV isn’t always up to much !
Son brought some shopping today and we put the garden table and bench under wraps for the Winter ,it has been a bright sunny day so pretty dry to be stored in their covers.
Made a curry with left over chicken for lunch.   

Must  phone number two son ,I never know if it is convenient as he works internationally and time zones etc cut down the actual hours three or more countries can work together.
No idea what to have for supper ,had such a late lunch ,got nice fresh bread and some nanas ,they are much nicer than bananas you know!

Got my book order  in but many are sold out ,did not make substitutions .I send money but like a gift too .
I did all the fruit etc for the grandchildren ,but think Flash Harry would also like to have all the fruit etc eaten by The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
Well. Cup of tea needed ,so off I go , close the  bedroom window, make the bed and THEN a cup of tea,
I have to bribe myself sometimes.
My arm where the nurse took blood is very itchy and such a bruise.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

L

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 November 20 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria, if you Google Terracotta Rugs then click on 'Shopping' at the top of the page it will show you a number of possibles. There are some from Wayfair, I've had a couple of small furnishing items from them in the past, they're good quality. I didn't know the names of the other companies so can't vouch for them.
Hope your arm is soon feeling better.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 November 20 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Today was my aunt’s funeral. My sister attended to represent our branch of the family. I was not able to go as I’m in a high risk zone and not allowed out of the lockdown area. She reported back that only 12 people attended. She was the last of her generation on my paternal line to die.
The reality is that I am now in the oldest living generation on my paternal line. Time for reflection and looking at family photos.

Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 November 20 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Panda - sorry to hear about your Aunt and the fact you weren’t able to attend...
a sobering thought to know you are now the oldest of your paternal line! A good opportunity to reminisce with your photos...

Viktoria- it’s always hard to choose something without actually seeing and feeling it!
Good to hear you’ve put your garden furniture to bed for the winter!
I know what you mean about phoning your children... never know when it’s convenient!

Roobarb- I call that definitely thinking outside the box to dye bedding and cushion covers... presume you do it in the washing machine? Never tried it I must say...
Cheeky thing! Soft and shiny hair indeed 😂 the shampoo was great to use after I had sepsis and my hair started to fall out in great clumps 😱 it certainly restored it so I’ve kept on using it...
The liver was so lovely and actually not expensive still a relatively cheap option.
Good to hear you’re neighbours up and out so hopefully that means he’s ok... I don’t blame you though keeping your distance...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 November 20 20:48 GMT (UK) »
ThanksRoobarb, a good idea,
I did see a very muted cream,camel grey one ,a lovely Oriental pattern ,a quality look about it but the room might seem insipid .
I have a big natural wool one a natural shade too but so thick I know I would trip up .That is in the spare bedroom
I know the shade exactly, we had a whole room in  it cost  £1,000.
100% pure wool, it was  the heaviest traffic room ,but stayed clean and still excellent condition.
It went in the  skip by new owners  :'( :'( :'( :'(
I might contact the firm ,and ask for an off cut and see if they will bind it.
I keep odd things sooooo, I have a sample !A two inch square.
Know the name and  maker.
The whole room is carpeted in a neutral soft mingled grey/ beige.
Not a problem is it really , but does make a change . ;D

Thanks about my arm.I am on blood thinning tablets so I suppose some bruising could be expected , it is right in the bend of my elbow and I push my sleeves up when I am working so there is a wadge of thick material in the bend.
Well ,folks another cuppa is needed ,I need regular top ups.
A lovely sunny day today , but really cold.
We were warned.
Cheerio. Hope everyone has a god night’s sleep.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 November 20 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Panda, so sorry to hear about your aunt, these strange times make it even more difficult to deal with. I hope the photos gave you some comfort.

Caroline - yes I do the dyeing process in the washing machine, I've done it lots of times, it's really easy. I dye my black jeans black when they start to fade, gives them a new lease of life.

Viktoria, hope you manage to get a rug, it's good to ring the changes. I'm a tea addict too.  :D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham