Author Topic: John Sampson buried South Tawton 6OCT 1814 aged 32 years old  (Read 104 times)

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Sampson buried South Tawton 6OCT 1814 aged 32 years old
« on: Thursday 19 November 20 15:19 GMT (UK) »
The a/m info was supplied by a fellow member.Subsequently discovered Allinsdown Farm [various spellings] Land Tax records show it was the residence of Robert Sampson and his wife Mary "Polly ' nee Curson Sampson..This leaves me with a conundrum.If John Sampson's age was correct at burial record then he could not be the son of at least Robert.Despite the indisputable Land Tax record why was Mahala widow of John recorded as the leaseholder occupant of Allinsdown when the lease was up for sale in 1814..
Can some kind person double check the recorded age for John at burial. have no reason to doubt it as it is contemporaneous with that of his spouse,Additionally can anyone remove the relationship of Robert, Mary all Polly and John and why despite the Land Tax evidence why John was farming and leasing Allinsdown.
'every little 'elps
Gratefully
historyman

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: John Sampson buried South Tawton 6OCT 1814 aged 32 years old
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 November 20 15:42 GMT (UK) »
The John SAMPSON buried at South Tawton 6 Oct 1814 is shown as 32 so born 1782. There was a John baptised in 1780, son of Caleb & Jane.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Sampson buried South Tawton 6OCT 1814 aged 32 years old
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 November 20 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks DOB7
The Calebs of Sessland, so there is no doubt that the 32 could not be misread.Sadly I have yet to link the Calebs with my John. Robert line seems to be from Sampford Courtenay and Mahala's mother was a Powlesland.Not surprisingly during this period the same families seem to intermarry.
historyman