Author Topic: Vera Doreen Clark (aka Vera Doreen Uren)  (Read 763 times)

Offline Alanex

• RootsChat Extra
  • James-Scotland
    • View Profile
Vera Doreen Clark (aka Vera Doreen Uren)
« on: Thursday 19 November 20 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I’m researching on behalf of a friend, so bear with me if I need to get back to you with answers to anything.

My friends gran was born Vera Doreen Clark in 1935 to Leonard Clark and Veronica Holliday.
Vera passed away recently and unfortunately would never speak about her family. My friend is trying to discover why, as her gran got really upset when her past/family was mentioned.

She’ not looking to dig up old wounds or lay blame, she just wants to understand what upset her gran so much.

So what we’ve pieced together so far is this:
Parents:
Leonard Clark (b 1901, Hull) and Veronica Holliday (b. 1913, Hull)
There were other siblings including an Evelyne Clark (b. 1937, d. 2007), the rest I don’t have info for.
Vera never spoke to or about her family.

There was talk of being adopted but I’ve discovered that in 1957 at age of 22yo she changed her name by Deed Poll to Vera Doreen Uren and lived with William George Uren and Doris Uren (nee Bailey) in Liverpool. She then became a nurse in 1958 for sick children. She married Arthur Wolstenholme in the 1970’s I believe who I is my friends relative.

We’re not sure if the name change is anything to do with her family issue or if it was unrelated, perhaps concealing something to get in to nursing? Would that have been a possibility then? Not sure what a name change would achieve other than distance you from your own family.

This is pretty much all we have and desperately want to find out why she wouldn’t talk to her family (or maybe they didn’t talk to her?).

The only other information, which I’m not sure if relevant, Vera had bad burns on her shoulder/neck which may or may not be of relevance. It was never discussed.

I’ve attempted to check newspapers for any kind of reports, etc., but was unable to find anything. I can’t seem to find anyone from the Clark family to ask so I’m hoping someone related might be on these forums, or a friend of Vera or even suggestions where I could look next?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

Scotland: Bell, Bond, Doig, Hogg, Houston, Howson, James, Melville, Murdoch, Paton, Pennycook, Smillie/Smellie, Strain, White
England: James
Wales: James
Ireland: Hogg, Murdoch
USA: Melville, White
Australia: Houston, Howson
Canada: Houston, Pennycook

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Vera Doreen Clark (aka Vera Doreen Uren)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 November 20 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked whether Veronica died when Vera was very young?

Leonard & Veronica married in Yorkshire in 1934. 

EDIT
Freebmd shows 5 children born to the marriage between 1935 & 1942 in Hull

www.freebmd.org.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Alanex

• RootsChat Extra
  • James-Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 November 20 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I think Vera was the eldest, her sister Evelyne was born 2 years after her. All evidence suggests Vera was the first born, she was born ~9 months after Leonard and Veronica were married in 1934.

Thanks,
Alan
Scotland: Bell, Bond, Doig, Hogg, Houston, Howson, James, Melville, Murdoch, Paton, Pennycook, Smillie/Smellie, Strain, White

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 November 20 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Please see my Edit above
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 November 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »
If you check the 1939 register it appears Veronica had a child before she married Leonard

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 November 20 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Robert Arthur Holliday b 25.7.1932 died Hull 28.2.2008

Offline Alanex

• RootsChat Extra
  • James-Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 November 20 19:43 GMT (UK) »
I’ve found someone with the family tree on Ancestry but not had a reply from them so far. They actually have 6 children listed in their tree for the marriage but most of it is marked Private, so this would potentially tie in with that as they have a male listed as potentially the first child if they are entered in order.

Thanks

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 November 20 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I was just going to post re the tree. The owner has been online recently so hopefully you may get a reply.
There is a death for Veronica Clark in 1990.

Offline Alanex

• RootsChat Extra
  • James-Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 November 20 19:56 GMT (UK) »
They’ve read my message, hopefully they’re trying to find out information before replying. I’m hoping it’s not some kind of family secret that no one is willing to talk about - I have enough of those in my own family tree!

My friend just wants to understand what made her gran so emotional every time her family was mentioned.

Thank you both for your replies so far.