Author Topic: Harper Family of Sedgley  (Read 357 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harper Family of Sedgley
« on: Thursday 19 November 20 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters of Staffs

Does anyone have information on the family of Thomas and Jane Harper of Sedgley?  Their first child was Elizabeth baptized 4 Dec 1726. I am interested in John baptized 16 Dec 1739. Does anyone know what happened to him? According to many trees he went to Yorkshire and married there. Variously described as an ag-lab or husbandman.

Since Yorkshire is quite a way from Sedgley I am not sure if the move to Yorkshire is correct. I have not been able to find any evidence to support his going to Yorkshire. Supposedly he is the same John Harper who married Hannah Newlove at Wetwang in 1771.

Sedgley is a parish that is only indexed on Ancestry, FindMyPast and Family Search online so I can't check the original images to see if he died young or married in Staffordshire. The marriage in Yorkshire states he was of Catwick (ERY) but that does not necessarily mean he was born there. His mother is said to be Jane Turner but I have not found and index or an image of a suitable Harper/Turner marriage.

Information gratefully received. Thanks for reading.
Venelow
Canada

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Harper Family of Sedgley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 November 20 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Marriage;
17 Feb 1723/24. All Saints, Sedgley
Thomas HARPER to Jane TURNER

3 Bapts to a Thomas/Jane named John;
06 Jan 1732/33 (father a Nailer)
16 Dec 1739 (father a Boxmaker)
25 Sep 1743 (father a Boxmaker)
All have abode as Ettingsall

2 burials for JOHN, on of Thomas/Jane;
03 Jun 1737
18 Jan 1741/42*

So looks to me the 16 Dec 1739 one died and they named another again John 1742.
So had 3 sons named John.

All on FreeREG

Trish :)

EDIT,
Burials of;
JANE 30 April 1758, wife of Thomas***
JOHN 07 Apr 1774, son of Thomas

Now as no age given be cant assume he is John born 1741/42 as there may be another Thomas around having children Sedgely also.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 November 20 10:52 GMT (UK) »
There is also a JOHN Harper/Lydia BISSELL marriage 01 Apr 1766, THOMAS Harper a witness.

Sorry more questions than answers to your query!

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 November 20 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

Thank you very much. I seem to have a blind spot about FreeREG. Probably because when I have tried it the records I was interested in had not been transcribed. I should consult it more often.

I had found a sparse baptism index on Family Search that gave Thomas and Jane as the parents of John 1732 and John 1739. But John 1743 only mentioned father Thomas. So that made me wonder if John 1743 was in another family group.
I believe that Family Search Indexes were most often compiled from BTs so that might account for the brevity. It certainly seems that John b. 1739 died aged a little over 2 years old. Abode and father's occupation can really help.

The John son of Thomas who died in 1774 would have been about 32 if he was born 1741/42 and I think it would be unusual to be described that way once a child was over 21. This family had a son called Thomas in 1728 so the John who died in 1774 could be son of his. Brother Thomas could also have been the marriage witness for John and Lydia.

I think it's safe to say that John b.1739 did not go to Yorkshire. So I can eliminate him from my list of candidates.

Thank you again Trish
Stay Safe

Venelow
Canada

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 November 20 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Your welcome venelow. good luck :)