Author Topic: Which website? Ancestry, Find My Past, Society Records?  (Read 550 times)

Offline plack150

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which website? Ancestry, Find My Past, Society Records?
« on: Friday 20 November 20 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.
I wonder if I might ask some advice about  the level of my research and how to do it on various websites that offer search facilities.
I am researching my family in Hampshire off and on for about 10 years. I made it back in a 100% perfect line to the mid 1700's. There is some degree of uncertainty after that about which line follows which and I think from here that I am down to parish records?
I have a free trial with Ancestry, where I want to obtain more information on my my relations and where they were 1800 to modern day and this seems like a good website to subscribe to, although a bit expensive.
I also have a free trial to Find My Past. This has been ok but there seems to be some records missing that I get from other results (I also have Hampshire Genealogy Society Baptisms, Marriages and Burials CDs).
Am I on the right websites for what I need to achieve or are there others which are better for those 1650-1780 records? Or, as I think, this might be a Records Office visit or two!
Many thanks for your help!
Philip

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which website? Ancestry, Find My Past, Society Records?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 20 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I think this will be a case of using the website that has the most information on Hampshire.  Each website has its strengths and weaknesses.

Much as we family historians would like it to, no one website will have everything.  You usually end up having to visit the records office at some point as the records you want are not online.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 20 10:12 GMT (UK) »
It sounds as if you are covering most bases with Ancestry,FindMyPast and the HGS cds.

Familysearch wiki is a really useful resource for seeing what records are available and where

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Main_Page

The HGS marriage CDs are an index, a finding aid.  It's always worth looking at the original records for extra information.

This list from FHS online shows all the parishes and dates covered from the HGS records

https://fhs-online.co.uk/compare/coverage/?db_id=87#header

Don't forget Familysearch and freeREG

There will always be gaps in records and your ancestors could have been non-conformists.

Don't forget wills as they can be full of family details.  Look at the Hampshire Archives catalogue

https://calm.hants.gov.uk/advanced.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog

Try posting your brick walls on Rootschat.  There are many Rootschatters with experience of searching records in the area you're looking at.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 November 20 10:30 GMT (UK) »
The other excellent website for you to consider also would be The Genealogist https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 November 20 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Re Ancestry being expensive - this thread gives details of the 50% offer

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=832955.0
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk