Author Topic: Social distancing seems to affect almost everything!  (Read 879 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Social distancing seems to affect almost everything!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 November 20 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Our post isolates in the porch for 3 days before being opened... then use gloves and an old knife to slit open envelopes...

Am I right in thinking that ‘in the old days’ if you didn’t seal an envelope but just tucked it in the postage was less... or is that just a figment if my imagination!

Caroline

Well, if it is a figment, I have the same one.

And books used to come from my grandmother in England at a special “book post” rate.  They had to be wrapped in cardboard that overlapped the book, but the parcel left open at both ends.  Goodness knows how long they took to arrive.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 November 20 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Not a good idea to tuck in the envelope flap, letters are sorted by machine and unsealed envelopes catch in the works and can end up unsorted or chewed up!

Unless things have changed sort-wise, the machine locates the stamp, separates 1st & 2nd then finds the first line of the address, it reads vertically down from there and reads the post-code on the last line. Mail is then sorted automatically at great speed. The old way of writing the address at a slope could delay delivery.

Skoosh.

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 November 20 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Post is taking a long time, we had a medical appointment but the letter arrived a week too late
rayard.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 November 20 16:20 GMT (UK) »
We had 3 days worth last Monday including 5 late birthday cards.  Postie said had been told to concentrate on delivering parcels and leave everything else.  Not very good for people waiting for test results or appointments.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos