Author Topic: Thomas & Mary WEBSTER (daughter of Gamaliel BINGLEY) Carlton juxta Snaith  (Read 910 times)

Offline hindriksdottir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas & Mary WEBSTER (daughter of Gamaliel BINGLEY) Carlton juxta Snaith
« on: Friday 20 November 20 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me find a marriage record for Thomas WEBSTER and Mary (daughter of Gamaliel BINGLEY) please? Mary died 11 Aug 1784 aged 64yrs. Thomas and Mary had a son called Joseph who died on the 21 April 1781 aged 6yrs. Mary and  Joseph are buried together in the graveyard of St Mary's Parish Church, in Carlton (used to be Carlton juxta Snaith) near Selby, North Yorkshire. I've no idea where Mary was originally from.
In fact I'm unable to find any of the birth, marriage or death records for any of these people.
All the information I've provided is from the gravestone.
Incidentally the church was originally a wooden chapel built in 1379, being replaced with a new church in 1861....I'd love to see all the burial records  ;D
Thanks for any help or advice you can give folks.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas & Mary WEBSTER (daughter of Gamaliel BINGLEY) Carlton juxta Snaith
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 November 20 16:45 GMT (UK) »
 BT's have the marriage at St Laurence, Snaith 22 Oct 1759 - they were both of Carlton.  Banns were published 7th, 14th & 21st October.  Thomas was a Yeoman.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 November 20 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi hindriksdottir, and welcome.

I can't answer your question directly, but Gamaliel Bingley caught my eye as I have someone of that name in the right sort of time frame.

Mine was baptised in 1701/02 in Royston, WRY, where his father St John Bingley was vicar, but this isn't my direct line and I don't have any more details on him at present. (I'm descended from one of St John's brothers.)

St John died in 1713/14, but I don't know much about what happened after that. His wife was called Mary, and their youngest child was born in 1710, but I don't know when she died. I do know that one of Gamaliel's brothers (William) married in Mansfield, Notts in 1725, and lived there the rest of his life, and that another one (Richard) went to live in Bolton-upon-Dearne, WRY.

Whether this Gamaliel is yours or not, I don't really know. However, I do recommend that you check the original registers for Mary's burial - they're at FindMyPast. T&Cs mean I can't give you full details, but they give Mary's age as 54; 64 would have made her impossibly old to have a son in c1775.

The registers at that date follow the Dade pattern, with lots of extra information, and Mary's burial says where Gamaliel was from and gives her mother's forename - though this hasn't so far helped me to pin him down.

Anyway, I hope this might give you a few clues to follow up.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline hindriksdottir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 November 20 18:32 GMT (UK) »
rosie99 thank you very much for the marriage and banns information. It's very helpful. I couldn't find anything on ancestry whatsoever. Whereabouts did you find the Bishop's Transcriptions, if you don't mind me asking?

arthurk....that all sounds fascinating. The Websters are in my family tree and I knew that some of the Bingleys were in the Rotherham area, maybe Bolton-upon-Dearne.  Some Websters born in Carlton (juxta Snaith) were basketweavers who moved to Thorne near Doncaster.

I'll have to join FindMyPast to look at the Parish Records. Mary Webster's death at the age of 64 may be a mistake on my part when getting the information from the old gravestone, so I'll go with your 54.

Thanks for your help :-)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 November 20 11:17 GMT (UK) »
There's more...

I've found a transcript of the Carlton-juxta-Snaith registers, which can be viewed or downloaded for free at FamilySearch:

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/225636-redirection

The name index includes many entries referring to Gamaliel Bingley (p.200 in original, image 208/242). I haven't checked all of these, but the 1781 burials include not only Joseph, whom you mention, but Gamaliel himself (p.151; image 159). And Gamaliel's burial describes him as son of St John Bingley, vicar of Royston.

So as long as that's a correct transcription, thank you William Dade, and yes, we are related  :) :) :)
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline hindriksdottir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 November 20 21:22 GMT (UK) »
arthurk...since your last reply, I've been pouring over those transcripts for Carlton juxta Snaith (thanks for the link), and checking ancestry and FindMyPast. It's all very time-consuming, and enjoyable. I've just got to link some up.

Offline hindriksdottir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 December 20 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Well after purchasing a 1934 copy (issued to subscribers by the Yorkshire Parish Register Society) of the Parish Register of Carlton-Juxta-Snaith 1598-1812, I've managed to tie in Thomas and Mary Webster, Gamaliel Bingley, and St John Bingley into my family tree......finally!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 December 20 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Well done - at my end the Bingleys are still a work in progress, but I have some information going a couple of generations further back from St John.

I'll send you a PM.