Author Topic: Mary Rosall Born c 1734  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Rosall Born c 1734
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 November 20 22:12 GMT (UK) »

Maiden Stone - Mary's 2nd marriage was at St James & St Pauls, Marton which is an Anglican church in Cheshire.

Every marriage at that time except those of Jews or Quakers had to take place in an Anglican church. It was the law.
Mary's first marriage may have happened before Hardwicke's Marriage Act 1754.
Cheshire refers to the diocese which had jurisdiction over Lancashire parishes. Chester Diocese covered a large area of north-west England + a bit of Wales. It stretched from Bangor in the south to Copeland, Cumberland and Richmond, Yorkshire, in the north.

Samuel and Mary's wedding was recorded in the marriage register of St. Chad, Poulton-le-
Fylde, the mother church of St. Paul's, Marton.
Information about St. Paul, Marton from Lancashire Online Parish Clerk's website:
                          " The Church of St. Paul, Marton
                    Marriages at St. Paul in the Parish of Marton
  Marriages prior to 1838 for residents of Marton were recorded in the Register of the mother
  church, St. Chad's in the parish of Poulton-le-Fylde."
      www.lan-opc.org.uk/Marton/stpaul/index.html
      www.lan-opc.org.uk/Marton/index.html

Garstang was an extensive parish. There is a map on the parish pages of LANOPC. Click on it to enlarge. www.lan-opc.org.uk/Garstang/index.html

Added. Are you sure about St. James? No St. James in Marton or Poulton.

Cowban

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 November 20 23:09 GMT (UK) »

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Wrong church in the wrong Marton in the wrong county.
If you go to the links for Marton in my reply #18 they will take you to the right place. Select "Registers" and then "Marriages" from the menu on the left. Use Surname Index to find Mary Rossall's marriage. Lancashire Online Parish Clerk's website also has Ancestor Search pages (under "Search" in menu) which can be used to quickly find a named person or people with the same surname in a parish or a locality or anywhere in the county. It has an extra option for "others" such as marriage witnesses or godparents (latter Catholic). Some parish pages have information about the parish and locality and a few have extra sources of information. Plus photos of churches + towns + villages.  LANOPC is a volunteer site. You can't research Lanky ancestors without LANOPC. 
Cowban

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 21:57 GMT (UK) »
If Richard Rossall was buried in Bispham where both the marriage in Garstang and his marriage bond say he lived and if he died between 1853 and 1868, those burial records appear to be missing. I would have expected to find a will as he is described as a yeoman but maybe he died before getting round to making one. There are a couple of wills of someone who may be his father in the Lancashire archives.
I would assume he had money as the marriage bond would cost him £200 if he failed to go through with the marriage.

As Maiden Stone says the marriage of Samuel and Mary was recorded in the registers of both St Chad's and St Paul's Marton

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lancsann

I found them at Dusty Docs, 1813 - 1871, that's if i have the right church, (St Hallows in the Parish Of Bispham). There are 4 Rossalls buried there but no Richard Rossall. I guess until we identify a suitable death we cannot assume it was Mary Hudson as being his wife, mores the pity.

Regards

Eric

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 11:22 GMT (UK) »
The church (All Hallows) Records on dusty docs. Did you find any burials at all between the years I stated as lan-opc has these years missing from the years you quote.

I assume both of us typed 1800’s rather than 1700’s!

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 19:04 GMT (UK) »

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 22:05 GMT (UK) »
my apologies - I was looking at the wrong century - I am easily confused, blame it on virtually 8 months of lockdown

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 22:06 GMT (UK) »
William Rossall, buried 3rd November 1767, Yeoman, Abode Warbeck. All Hallows Bispham.

A Richard Rossall, baptised 1724/25, All Hallows Bispham. Father: William Rossall, Husbandman, abode Warbeck.

If Richard Rossall is buried at All Hallows, it might be in a Family Plot or near Family Plot, to His Father William(?)
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire