Author Topic: Mary Rosall Born c 1734  (Read 1494 times)

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Rosall Born c 1734
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 November 20 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help.

Maiden Stone - Mary's 2nd marriage was at St James & St Pauls, Marton which is an Anglican church in Cheshire.

Regards

Eric

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 November 20 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Just teaches me to look at the actual image of the parish records. The following link take you to whats on Anc, is that REALLY the surname "Hudson"???

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/2478/images/4421040_00133?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=XZH1982&_phstart=successSource&pId=55740972

I have looked at the image on Ancestry and to me it is not Hudson. The 1st letter I would guess is L or K (cf Leyland & Kirkham) and the letter before 'son' is definitely not 'd' - I would say by comparing it is e

sorry might have been looking at the wrong record - I was looking at a baptism but not sure what the link is for as I only have ancestry.co.uk not .com so cannot use it

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 November 20 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I know what you mean lancsann -- I thought the first letter was an L, as per my earlier message -- in the same fancy script as other 'L' s on that page. I also thought the following letters looked like 'ou' -- but the father was William and there is a William Hudson marrying in 1730 from that location.

Eric -- the second marriage of Mary you found at Lancs Archives -- are you sure it was at Marton in Cheshire? Why would it be at Lancs Archives? I must confess I haven't looked - but there is a Marton on the Fylde in Lancashire.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 November 20 16:55 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of Samuel & Mary states both were of the parish of Poulton (le Fylde) as does the marriage bond.

Incidentally they both signed the register which seems to indicate they were educated people

There is a Marton in Blackpool which at that time came under the parish of St Chad's Poulton, the current Marton parish church not being built until 1804 - St Chad's still owns the gift of the living

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 November 20 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lancsann and Pennines

Yes they were both well educated. Samuel was an Excise man and his wife was a school mistress. I went down to the NA in London and looked at some payroll records for Exciseman of the time but found diddlysquat for Samuel......this ancestry game can be right frustrating at times!!!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 November 20 19:30 GMT (UK) »
It's a coincidence about the 'educated' aspect.

There is a Rossall school in Fleetwood which is on the Fylde Coast, hence not that far away from your ancestors -- it was named, presumably after Rossall Beach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossall_School
Places of interest;

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 November 20 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Rossall school was founded when Sir Peter Hesketh Fleetwood leased his ancestral home of Rossall Hall to the school in 1844 mainly for the sons of clergymen. The area in the hundred of Amounderness had a area called Rossall before 1066. I think it would have been under the parish of Bispham.
Quite a long way from Thistleton. Not technically the Fylde coast which is to the south of Blackpool whereas Rossall is to the north
The parish for St Chads would have covered quite a large area so Mary could have come from as far away as Marton or Elswick.

Probably this does not help your quest but is just a bit of background to the area

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 November 20 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Funnily enough - when I saw this surname in the query - I thought of Rossall school, as I had an aunt who lived in Fleetwood and when we visited, the bus always went past that school. (That's how we travelled 'back in the day'.)

It made me think that the 'Rosall' family may have originated from that area way, way back and got that surname when they moved to a different 'settlement' - in those days before surnames existed. This would differentiate them from people in their new settlement with the same christian name.

I am so sorry, I am deviating from Eric's query here - although this background of the surname may be of interest to him.
Places of interest;

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 November 20 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Rossall school has some lovely buildings - extended now of course from the original. Been up there several times in the past when my sons played rugby against them. You still go past it on the way to Fleetwood.

You could be right about the origin of the name Rossall. Agree we are not helping Eric's main query but background info is always interesting