Author Topic: Emigration - Watson Family of Sussex  (Read 30803 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration - Watson Family of Sussex
« Reply #72 on: Monday 05 April 21 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thank you for the additional details. I am intrigued by the obituary for Julia Mahmet (nee Liddington) which says 3 sisters - I can explain and have already found 2 - Mrs Steve Tate, and Mrs Harry Edwards (Nellie M Liddington and Mathilde Liddington respectively) but am at a loss about Mrs William Shaffer of Gary.

Julia had a half sister Sylvia Cecila Maud Trudell born 1888 in Canada, from her mothers first marriage to Alfred Trudell, but the last I knew she had married a Frank Fifer in 1915 (he died 1920) and previously a Louis Kollwitz. In 1940 she was a widow (housekeeper) using the name Sylvia Kollwitz.

Alan

PS - Just found her death as Sylvia Shaffer 13 July 1963  - buried at Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens, Schererville, Lake County but not found a marriage.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 22 August 22 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Its been a while but I thought I would revisit this as I have still no definitive information on Sarah Ann Watson (1838) nor John Andrew Watson (1834).

A quick look on family search has revealed the following for 1870 census in Chicago -

Sarah Watson age 31 born England
Sarah Watson age 12 born Illinois
Edwin Watson age 7 born Illinois
Nellie Watson age 5 born Illinois

The names appear to link to the correct family and I was wondering what you thought. Looks like it might be worth following up?

I think Edwin (Herbert) Watson died 12 Nov 1884  age 21 - Rose Hill Cemetery is mentioned but have gone no further

Alan 

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 22 August 22 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

A bit of clutching at straws here by me I think!

Just realised these are the "original" Edwins; wife and children and not belonging to his sister.

Back to the drawing board

Alan