Author Topic: WISKEN - Looking for Willie!!  (Read 558 times)

Offline LJ68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WISKEN - Looking for Willie!!
« on: Saturday 21 November 20 17:35 GMT (UK) »
This is a little more complicated as I think it combines Wiskin and Lewin-Wiskin and covers many countries with births.  It’s not quite so straight forward.  Many were born in Russia.

I have been given two letters dated 1966 from Willie (female I think) to Alice.  In the letters Willie talks about spending 15 years researching in London on the Wisken family tree.  She has traced back to the Norman Conquest.  As you can imagine I an VERY interested in finding Willie or her descendants.

Willie sounds older in 1966 and mentions the following people:

Husband: Charles who works in London

Stepson?:  Michael .. Michaels mother lives in a Hall on the borders or Wiltshire and Hampshire.
                Michael is in the military and moves around a lot.

Uncle Tom and Aunt Rebecca (I have Thomas L-Wiskin 1845 – 1905 m Rebecca Lord 1847 – 1930) I am sure these are correct.

…quote …”.  I remember Uncle Tom, Aunt Rebecca, Alfred, Tara, Jim, dick, Lottie, Emma, and you at Hughesovka in your father’s house near the river Kalmius”.

Willie’s fathers sister is called Emma and was born in Elsinore, Denmark.

Robert (Dick’s son) and Betty.  Linda and her husband are in Ethiopia.

Connie who went to Canada

…quote…”     I suppose you know that Robert Reth?, Aunt Lizzie’s son, died about two years ago.  William Reth?, Aunt Emma’s son, died  a year ago.  Charles and I keep in touch with our cousins in Sweden”.

Alice’s sister is called Emma

Alice’s children? Maisie, John and Helen

Alice’s father is called Uncle Tom but I have Alice Walton as the non Wiskin wife ??

If anybody can provide any info I would be very grateful!!!

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WISKEN - Looking for Willie!!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 20 03:25 GMT (UK) »
What a facinating family this is...

The part of the Ukraine they were from and in, is Hughesovska, 'built' by Welsh tin/steel workers:
http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=HRA%2FD427
https://glamarchives.wordpress.com/2017/11/03/hughesovka-a-welsh-enterprise-in-imperial-russia/

Charlotte Eliza GREEN (died Jun 1888 Hughesovfska aged 69, informant son, T J WISKIN, son
   M1)  to Thomas LEWIN (d 1849)  and issue:
         i. Thomas Joseph Lewin-Wiskin(s) (b 1845- d?)
            a) Charlotte Lewin-Wiskin who married a William Calder 1904 Batoum, Russia
         ii. Eliza Lewin  (b 1849) - she married 1866 riga to Samuel BETTS

M2) to George James WISKEN
         i. James (1852-1913)
         ii. William Edward (31 Dec 1853 Riga -1887) (m Elizabeth b 16 Dec 1862 Granau, d 1911 age 49y).
            1) William Charles WISKEN (1881-1974 Bedford London), m 1906  in Hughesovska to Rosa Smith
                    2 sons: Charles William and ?-------
         iii. Emma Emily (1856-1931) (m Betts)
         iv. Mary Anne (1859-1885)
            v. George Alfred (1861-1905)

Picking up on part of your post, mention in the letters by Willie:
"Dick has a son Robert whose wife is Betty" 

Richard Joseph Lewin, b 1875 Port Elizabeth SA, died 1951 LA, USA
Son of Thomas Joseph Lewin-Wiskin and Rebecca Lord
On 1881 UK Census aged 5 with mother Rebecca (35)  & siblings (Alfred 11, James 9, Thomas 7 & Charlotte 3)  in Stratford Essex.
Went to USA abt 1900
A steelworker
Married Jenny May Aston 1908
Wife died bf 1930 and he remarried 1931 to Kate Pearson
Son Robert Thomas LEWIN b 1911 Maryland USA, died 2001, Seattle
         married Elizabeth Hannah Devinin Blair (d 2006)  (aka Betty).

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 20 03:31 GMT (UK) »
"Willie’s fathers sister is called Emma and was born in Elsinore, Denmark"

Emma Emily WISKEN
Born Copenhagen  21/3/1856
Died Sweden 1931
Married 1875 Sweden to William BETTS (b 1850 Westham, Essex)
Found mention: William Betts was the brother to Emma's half sister Eliza Lewin's husband

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 November 20 07:25 GMT (UK) »
The Alice to whom Willie is 'speaking to in the letter'

Looks as if she is the youngest child of Thomas Joseph Lewin-Wiskin and Rebecca Lord
Age 26 when marrying 1912, so born around 1896 (not discovered where  but maybe not UK)

Willie says to Alice:
"....Uncle Tom, Aunt Rebecca, Alfred, Tara, Jim, dick, Lottie, Emma, and you "
These children of Tom & Rebecca are:

Alfred b abt 1870 Austria/Hungary
Thomas b abt 1872 Stratford, Essex (Tara is a family nickname?)
James b abt 1874 Stratford Essex
Richard Joseph Lewin b abt 1876 Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Charlotte Eliza Lewin Wiskin b 1878 Essex
Emma
Alice Jane Lewin Wiskin b abt 1896

Alice Jane LEWIN-WISKIN married her half-first cousin, Frederick Walter WISKIN - their respective father's had the same mother, Charlotte nee GREEN.

1912: Marriage on 12th October 1912,at Tottenham, Middlesex, England
Frederick Walter WISKEN 28, Bachelor, Electrician, of 115  Woodside Gardens,
     Father William WISKIN, Mechanic (deceased)
Alice Jane Lewin WISKEN 26, Spinster,  of 115  Woodside Gardens
     Father : Thomas WISKIN, Contractor, (deceased)
Witness: Rebecca WISKIN, Emma Lewin WISKIN

Frederick's father was William Edward WISKIN (b 1853 Riga) a Mechanic, and mother Elizabeth. 
Frederick's brother was William Charles WISKIN, 1881-1974 who married Rosa Smith

Frederick and Alice went to Canada

When Frederick went travelled in UK to Canada May 1920, the manifest gave his contact in Canada as his brother-in law Richard Lewin (Dick).  (Richard was in Canada for a time)

Frederick and Alice  daughter:
 Maisie Joyce Wiskin 1913-2013.

Here is Maisie's Obituary:
https://georgefuneralhome.com/tribute/details/799/Maisie-Bray/obituary.html

As to Willie, based on finding so far ... if her paternal Aunt was Emma born Denmark 1856, died Sweden1931  then... Willie's father must either be:
James WISKIN (1852-1913)
George Alfred WISKIN 1861-1905
or even William Edward WISKIN - which would make Willie the sister in law of Alice (as well as a half 1st Cousin)

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 November 20 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The only evidence of Emma being born in Denmark is this household page from Tumbo Parish living with Walter Betts and daughter. You'll need to be a member to see this record which is free:
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/00159341_00233#?c=&m=&s=&cv=232&xywh=-53%2C-81%2C5056%2C2414

The other records state England.
She is living with her husband and 9 children:
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/F0002904_00042#?c=&m=&s=&cv=41&xywh=622%2C247%2C5771%2C2755

The only Wisken birth I could find in Copenhagen was this unbaptised child in Sokkelund, Fredriksberg Parish. Born 26 Nov 1858. The parents are James Wisken and Charlotte:
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=22541705#466812,24752508 - 2nd from bottom

Emma's death record in Tumbo Parish. You'll need to be a member to see this record which is free:
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/00159360_00095#?c=&m=&s=&cv=94&xywh=105%2C506%2C4493%2C2187 - nr 4

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 November 20 11:39 GMT (UK) »
This birth record for Emma's first born has witness Annie Whisken recorded:
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/A0016275_00128#?c=&m=&s=&cv=127&xywh=291%2C2153%2C5464%2C2660 - at the bottom.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 November 20 12:31 GMT (UK) »

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 November 20 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Here is a great site of the Betts and Wiskens from Sweden.
I have used Google translate:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01q2a/

Ian

Offline koala156

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 June 21 20:20 BST (UK) »
I have some personal information about these ancestors. I am a direct descendent of ‘Alice’.

Alice is my grandmother, Alice Jane Lewin-Wiskin. ‘Willie’ is my great uncle - William Charles Wiskin - and brother of my grandfather Frederick Walter (Wallie) Wiskin. As pointed out earlier, my grandparents are half cousins sharing a common grandparent, Charlotte Green. Of Alice’s children, John is my father.

I was particularly interested in your mention of a 1966 letter from Willie (he would have been 85 at the time) to Alice alluding to his research on the Wiskin family tree extending back to the Norman conquest.

I have a letter from Willie dated 24 July 1941 to his brothers Wallie and George in which he says, “I have done quite a lot of searching for records of the family, and find that the Wiskins lived in Norfolk and Suffolk as far back as the twelfth century”.  Interestingly, the letter also refers to a Wiskin coat of arms and motto, and a history of the name Wiskin from the Anglo-Saxon version - Wisgar.

I also have a copy of the wall chart Willie created at that time for the Wiskin family. However, it only extends back to Willie’s grandfather (and my 2x great-grandfather) George Wiskin (b.1882 in Weybread, Suffolk, England). There is another chart (an addendum?) that lists George’s father, James Wiskin (b.1797 in Mendham, Suffolk) and James’ father William Wiskin (b.1766 in Mendham, Suffolk).

However, I have been unable to track down any information or records prior to 1766. I would of course be keenly interested in obtaining any of that information.

I have extended Willie’s work on many branches of the family including the people mentioned in your note. One the most interesting is James Wiskin mentioned above. He was convicted of sheep stealing in 1832 and sentenced to transportation. He arrived in Australia in 1833 and was followed several years later by one of his sons and a nephew. Many of their descendants live in Australia to this day. There are still Wiskins in Russia and the Swedish and Canadian branches have been mentioned by others on this thread. Indeed, it is an interesting family.

Additionally, I have a letter in my grandmother Alice’s handwriting describing her early days in Russia and her escape in 1917. My grandfather wrote a similar note documenting his life story from birth in Russia, to his leaving Russia to join the Royal Flying Corps, his emigration t.o Canada in 1920 and his work history up to retirement in 1952.

I would be interested in further contact to share information.