Author Topic: Alexander McIntyre, born Morvern 1815, and family  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McIntyre, born Morvern 1815, and family
« Reply #54 on: Monday 23 November 20 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Children of Alloa Alexander McIntyre and Janet Stewart (from census and IGI - none in SP church records)
Catherine 1844/5
Angus 1846/7
Alexander 1848/9
Isabella 1851/2
Hugh 1853/4
John 26 November 1855
Margaret 5 April 1858
John Duncan 27 November 1860
Elizabeth 27 September 1863
So there are potential gaps before Catherine and possibly between Alexander and Hugh. John's 1855 birth certificate should clarify this and might even shed some light on this Alexander's birthplace.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline annby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 23 November 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Children of Alloa Alexander McIntyre and Janet Stewart (from census and IGI - none in SP church records)
Catherine 1844/5
Angus 1846/7
Alexander 1848/9
Isabella 1851/2
Hugh 1853/4
John 26 November 1855
Margaret 5 April 1858
John Duncan 27 November 1860
Elizabeth 27 September 1863
So there are potential gaps before Catherine and possibly between Alexander and Hugh. John's 1855 birth certificate should clarify this and might even shed some light on this Alexander's birthplace.

Just had a look at the 1855 birth certificate. It confirms Alloa Alexander's birthplace as Morvern. Frustratingly, it gives his age as 38, implying a birth year of 1817, bang in the middle of the 1815 and 1820 Morvern baptisms. The 1815 baptism could still be him so this doesn't help to confirm or exclude it as my Alexander's. 1820 is definitely too late for mine. John is the couple's seventh child so you're right someone's missing.
Perthshire: Cram, Kirk, Cairns, Monteath
Edinburgh: Baillie
Morvern and Isle of Mull, Argyllshire: McIntyre, McGregor
Uist, Invernessshire: McPherson
Inverness: Davidson
Aberdeenshire/Banffshire: Thain
Ireland: Foley, O'Sullivan

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 23 November 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
How frustrating!

But .... if Janet Stewart's parents are Angus and Catherine, and if the missing child was a boy born before Catherine, it might hint at Alloa Alexander's mother being Isabella. OTOH there is no Janet so they may not have been following the naming tradition at all. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 23 November 20 20:08 GMT (UK) »
In the frustrations around Alexander McIntyre, I found an another Alexander, an Alexander McPherson who I think could be brother to Sarah.

This Alexander, a mariner, only appears in one census that I can see (haven't looked for 1841) before his death in 1881 in Oban. He married an Ann McRae (3 March 1846 in Strath) and this is the family in 1851:

Alexander Mc Pherson 30 fisherman b. Glasgow
Ann Mc Pherson 29 b. Lochalsh, Ross
Catharine Mc Pherson 10 Months b. Lochalsh, Ross www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBSC-L6J
Janet Mc Rae 18 sister in law b. Strath

Address: Dunan, Strath, Inverness

Additional confirmation with Alexander showing Glasgow as his birth place that the entry you have for Sarah is likely the correct one.

Two more children showing in later censuses, Norman born pre 1855? and Flora www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYPV-LBH

Catherine, daughter, reported his death and looks to have put Sarah Black for his mother rather than Flora.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 23 November 20 21:02 GMT (UK) »
In the frustrations around Alexander McIntyre, I found an another Alexander, an Alexander McPherson who I think could be brother to Sarah.

This Alexander, a mariner, only appears in one census that I can see (haven't looked for 1841) before his death in 1881 in Oban. He married an Ann McRae (3 March 1846 in Strath) and this is the family in 1851:

Alexander Mc Pherson 30 fisherman b. Glasgow
Ann Mc Pherson 29 b. Lochalsh, Ross
Catharine Mc Pherson 10 Months b. Lochalsh, Ross www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBSC-L6J
Janet Mc Rae 18 sister in law b. Strath

Address: Dunan, Strath, Inverness

Additional confirmation with Alexander showing Glasgow as his birth place that the entry you have for Sarah is likely the correct one.

Two more children showing in later censuses, Norman born pre 1855? and Flora www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYPV-LBH

Catherine reported his death and looks to have put Sarah Black for his mother rather than Flora.

Monica

Thank you, Monica. I’ve not focused on Sarah’s family, beyond a fairly cursory and unsuccessful look for Malcolm and Flory. John, Alexander and Sarah’s son, died aged 15 in Inverness, and the location puzzled me. This makes sense of it.

Offline annby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 23 November 20 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Also worth noting that Neale1961 found a possible McCrae link for Margaret, Alexander and Sarah’s daughter.
Will pick this up again tomorrow.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 23 November 20 22:04 GMT (UK) »
The Margaret with John McRae in 1881 might be Margaret McLean. Marriage for this couple in 1876 in St Clement Dundee where daughter Sarah was born in 1875.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 04:52 GMT (UK) »
The Margaret with John McRae in 1881 might be Margaret McLean. Marriage for this couple in 1876 in St Clement Dundee where daughter Sarah was born in 1875.
Monica
I agree, that seems likely. There was a Margaret McLean born in Morvern about 1856.

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline annby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 26 November 20 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I wanted to thank everyone for their time and expertise in helping me with my McIntyre line. I’ve learnt a lot, not least that the struggle to find Alexander’s death certificate wasn’t because I’m a newbie! I now have a couple of leads, including on the McPherson line, where I’ve found yet another sibling for Sarah and know that Malcolm McPherson, my 3xg grandfather, was a soldier/innkeeper who came from Uist. So I’ve plenty to go at for now and I’m sure I’ll post again in the future.